Any updates on Torchlight 2?

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
I looked all over the internet and haven't seen anything! Isn't this supposed to come out this month?

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
I looked on the game's forums and it said they expect the game out in September/October time frame.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I know right? I've been waiting for this since was supposed to come out in March.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I hope for them (the devs) that it comes out before and not after Diablo 3.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
After reading a bunch of stuff about Diablo 3...I'm starting to get more excited about Torchlight 2.

Fall's gonna be a hell of a time for gaming!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I think that Runic Games shot themselves in the foot by putting so much of their efforts into re-tooling Torchlight for Xbox360. While it sold well, it now looks like all that effort will not translate over to Torchlight 2. So, they ended up pushing Torchlight 2 back to at least November to attempt to get it Xbox360 ready, and it still looks like it won't happen.
Now they are facing releasing their ARPG at the same time as the Blizzard juggernaut Diablo 3. I'm betting that has them questioning their decision to release the game this year at all. I would not be surprised if they decide to hold the game and continue to work on getting it on Xbox360 arcade and we don't see Torchlight 2 now until sometime next spring.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, this game would have made a killing as an "I want to play Diablo 3, but that isn't out so I'll play this" game. Heck, I'd love to play this game if it had at least a three month lead on Diablo 3.

If it is between the two, though, there isn't even a decision. Diablo 3 by a parsec (mile wasn't adequate distance)!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I usually check up on this game's website, and it's a real bummer that nothing has been posted since May. :\

I was planning on buying it when it came out, but if it comes out too close to Diablo III, I'll just wait until it goes on sale on Steam instead.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, this game would have made a killing as an "I want to play Diablo 3, but that isn't out so I'll play this" game. Heck, I'd love to play this game if it had at least a three month lead on Diablo 3.

If it is between the two, though, there isn't even a decision. Diablo 3 by a parsec (mile wasn't adequate distance)!

I usually check up on this game's website, and it's a real bummer that nothing has been posted since May. :\

I was planning on buying it when it came out, but if it comes out too close to Diablo III, I'll just wait until it goes on sale on Steam instead.

Most of their customer base is thinking this as well. This is exactly why I think we won't see it until April of next year, and then only if they can get it on XBLA by then.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I do want to mention that I think Torchlight II has a good chance of being a good game in its own right, but games like Diablo III and Torchlight II... well, you don't really play two of them at once. :p I'm also a bit curious if they cleaned up some of the annoyances from Torchlight. Item identification is so 1990s!

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I just asked Runic on Twitter:

There's not a hard date and we haven't set one yet, in all honesty. We want to make sure we can hit it 100% as a small team. Which means it will probably be announced a month or so before launch.

So there's that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There's been some news at GamesCom about the game. I'm not much of a fan on their vision in this tidbit:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188860p1.html
If you wind up with a character build you don't like or just want to experiment, it'll likely be possible to snag a potion to undo all your skill point choices so you can reallocate. Rampant player respeccing isn't what Runic wants, as the studio feels it strips some of the meaning from the decisions you need to make.

It seems like they're conceding to player desire, but possibly ignoring why we would want respec capabilities in the first place.

Chaosblade02

Jul 21, 2011
From what I heard about Diablo III, I probably won't enjoy the multiplayer aspect of it at all. They are going to endorse players selling and buying items with real money. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of the whole game. And if they are going to do that, then there will be people who make ways to duplicate or get the items for free with no effort.

That would also defeat any point of teaming because everyone will be ninja looting anything decent thinking they can sell it for real money. I am not going to team with someone just to see a rare item drop, that they can't even use, that I could and for them to just ninja loot it and say haha, its mine.

Diablo III is going to be for the trolls.

That doesn't mean I still won't enjoy the single player aspect of it.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I absolutely refuse to buy Diablo 3, even if its good. I dont support a studio that mandates an always on internet connection plus wants to restrict mods to force me to spend real money on good kit. No thanks, Torchlight 2 it is.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
From what I heard about Diablo III, I probably won't enjoy the multiplayer aspect of it at all. They are going to endorse players selling and buying items with real money. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of the whole game. And if they are going to do that, then there will be people who make ways to duplicate or get the items for free with no effort.

That would also defeat any point of teaming because everyone will be ninja looting anything decent thinking they can sell it for real money. I am not going to team with someone just to see a rare item drop, that they can't even use, that I could and for them to just ninja loot it and say haha, its mine.

Diablo III is going to be for the trolls.

That doesn't mean I still won't enjoy the single player aspect of it.

You need to do little bit more reading about Diablo III.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
There's been some news at GamesCom about the game. I'm not much of a fan on their vision in this tidbit:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188860p1.html

It seems like they're conceding to player desire, but possibly ignoring why we would want respec capabilities in the first place.

not sure what your point is?? I admire Runic for sticking to their guns on this concept. There's too much grass is greener mentality going on imo

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
not sure what your point is?? I admire Runic for sticking to their guns on this concept. There's too much grass is greener mentality going on imo

Not being able to respec is what made me quit Diablo II. It doesn't even make sense why you'd want to lock a player into a specific build/talent so badly. It would require you to do research beyond just the game to determine whether or not an ability (which may sound good "on paper") is actually worthwhile in game. Well, I mean... you could just reroll your entire character too, because we all know that's a lot of fun. :rolleyes:

One thing I hope they can adjust in the game is mod loading time. I have a large class mod for Torchlight, and the game takes quite awhile to load because of it. :\

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
I absolutely refuse to buy Diablo 3, even if its good. I dont support a studio that mandates an always on internet connection plus wants to restrict mods to force me to spend real money on good kit. No thanks, Torchlight 2 it is.

Oh no, Blizzard will be so sad!

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Not being able to respec is what made me quit Diablo II. It doesn't even make sense why you'd want to lock a player into a specific build/talent so badly. It would require you to do research beyond just the game to determine whether or not an ability (which may sound good "on paper") is actually worthwhile in game. Well, I mean... you could just reroll your entire character too, because we all know that's a lot of fun. :rolleyes:

One thing I hope they can adjust in the game is mod loading time. I have a large class mod for Torchlight, and the game takes quite awhile to load because of it. :\

Yeah I guess if you're concerned about making and finding the best choices, respeccing is pretty important. I'm kind of partial to the organic development not being able to respec offers. Everyone makes their choices and they live with it, imo this leads to a more honest playing field...potentially a more fun one too. With respecs it's very easy to end up with just a bunch of cookie cut builds. " That's your build?? noob, EJ says this." yawn.

But this is probably just me, i'm weird about this stuff lol

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Oh no, Blizzard will be so sad!

I kind of agree with him even though he's whining. Money = stress and I don't want to deal with stress in a video game. The point of a video game is it's fun and has nothing to do with reality. I'm sure they will make tons of money and such I just think I'm off the bandwagon. Diabloii will always hold a special place for me, but I think I'll leave d3 to the kids.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah I guess if you're concerned about making and finding the best choices, respeccing is pretty important. I'm kind of partial to the organic development not being able to respec offers. Everyone makes their choices and they live with it, imo this leads to a more honest playing field...potentially a more fun one too. With respecs it's very easy to end up with just a bunch of cookie cut builds. " That's your build?? noob, EJ says this." yawn.

But this is probably just me, i'm weird about this stuff lol

I've mentioned it before, but the reason why I quit D2 is that I figured a certain ability on my Necromancer wouldn't be worthwhile, but I couldn't solo Diablo. Now, this was awhile ago, and there's a good chance that I could now since I'm a bit older and probably better, but if I just could have respec'd and picked up that one ability, I should have had a much easier time.

The fact that I'd have to either cheat or reroll just made me stop. I really dislike bad design choices in games. It's like how I was playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, and the game literally doesn't allow you to access the main menu (or even save) until you beat the first two missions. o_O The worst part about that is how I cannot stand English voices in anime (which this game is very anime-based), and I couldn't change it until I could access the main menu. :p