Any updates if Zongshan Subor PC (with semi-custom Ryzen APU) be available in US and EU?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Any updates if Zongshan Subor PC (with semi-custom Ryzen APU) be available in US and EU?

Specs look very interesting:

• Four Ryzen Cores at 3.0 GHz, with Simultaneous Multi Threading
  • 24 CUs of Radeon Vega, at 1.3 GHz, for 4 TFLOPs compute
  • 8GB of GDDR5 at 256 GB/s
  • OS Option 1 (PC Mode): Windows 10
  • OS Option 2 (Console Mode): Windows 10 with Z+ Custom Interface
  • Low Power Modes supported, with 30W 'background download' power
  • 4.9 liter body, built-power supply, 'excellent' heat dissipation design
  • 'Ultra-Mute' 33 dB at full horsepower
  • Customizable appearance for unique designs
  • 802.11ac WiFi, BlueTooth 4.1 (WiFi Module unknown)
  • Storage is supplied through a 128GB M.2 SSD and optional 1TB HDD
  • Audio stack supports SPDIF
  • HDMI 2.0 is supported, as well as VR, 4K60, and HDCP 1.4
  • System has four USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0 ports

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I feel that they will deliver a Huawei/Xiaomi to USA... it will go outside to the rest of the world... Except USA.

Reactions: jpesk2

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
And is here...
Indeed, is promising....
Wondering if Jackie Chan might promote the console outside China.
Is a very compact PC/Steam game.

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Haven't heard anything about it becoming available here. I think a lot of people would like to have seen that back in 2017 though. That's the "big" APU that everyone wanted, albeit with GDDR5 (like a console) instead of HBM/HBM2.

Reactions: Arkaign and NTMBK

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Saw the LTT video of it.

It would be especially intriguing if you could get one with a couple DDR4 slots to feed as OS load. Probably too complicated to get balanced with Windows though. A 16GB version would kick some ass I think, 8GB in a windows environment is not great as seen in the tests :(

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Haven't heard anything about it becoming available here. I think a lot of people would like to have seen that back in 2017 though. That's the "big" APU that everyone wanted, albeit with GDDR5 (like a console) instead of HBM/HBM2.

HBM feels a bit like RDRAM to me. Expensive, really effective occasionally, but overall disappointing. The choice here to go GDDR5 definitely feels a bit like when Intel moved to DDR after the first 800-series chipsets.

Any idea if AMD is going to use GDDR6/6X for Navi skus or next gen consoles?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
HBM feels a bit like RDRAM to me. Expensive, really effective occasionally, but overall disappointing. The choice here to go GDDR5 definitely feels a bit like when Intel moved to DDR after the first 800-series chipsets.

I still can't see any consensus via technical analysis as to whether HBM2 is better than GDDR5x power or cost-wise. Bandwidth-wise, HBM2 is awesome with enough stacks. Just look at what Radeon VII has to offer. But we have yet to see HBM2 show up on a midrange card, and all cards that have featured HBM/HBM2 are power-hogs. So yeah it's logical to conclude that HBM2 is a bit of an albatross ala RDRAM. On the flip-side, Micron is now working on HBM products, so it may have more legs than RDRAM ever had.

Any idea if AMD is going to use GDDR6/6X for Navi skus or next gen consoles?

None. If Polaris is any indicator, my expectation is that Navi will not use HBM2 or anything of the sort. But we're short on details for Navi.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
And sorry to steal the thread, but talking about the Chinese consoles, there was one called Fuze F1 that was literally obscure... until Souljaboy started to sell it...

And is pretty much decent is we don't count the connection issues!

Wondering if Half Life 2 might work on Android since it was seen it working on nVIDIA Shield TV too...
Seems that is possible now with all the powerful CPUs and GPUs...

So why they did not release it on the Android phones?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
so expensive when a laptop with 1050ti is 500 or less 1060 600.. kills this box and has keyboard lcd too!

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
That 8GB ram is shared with the GPU and is pretty limiting, Linus had issues with games crashing or not launching because of that.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I still can't see any consensus via technical analysis as to whether HBM2 is better than GDDR5x power or cost-wise. Bandwidth-wise, HBM2 is awesome with enough stacks. Just look at what Radeon VII has to offer. But we have yet to see HBM2 show up on a midrange card, and all cards that have featured HBM/HBM2 are power-hogs. So yeah it's logical to conclude that HBM2 is a bit of an albatross ala RDRAM. On the flip-side, Micron is now working on HBM products, so it may have more legs than RDRAM ever had.

None. If Polaris is any indicator, my expectation is that Navi will not use HBM2 or anything of the sort. But we're short on details for Navi.
According to this research paper (pg2), we have 14.0 pj/bit (GDDR5) vs 3.9 pj/bit (HBM2). Energy wise it's a lot more efficient, cost wise, obviously not.

https://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/skeckler/pubs/MICRO_2017_Fine_Grained_DRAM.pdf