any such thing as a controller laptop?

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
a stripped down laptop to control my higher end desktop remotely?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You mean, a laptop that can use a remote-desktop app? Yeah, sure, pretty-much any of them can. Note that you might have some minor issues, if the screen resolutions of the two PCs don't match up.

You need a version of an OS that supports Remote Desktop Server on the PC you are attempting to control, or you need to install something like the TeamViewer Service.

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
You mean, a laptop that can use a remote-desktop app? Yeah, sure, pretty-much any of them can. Note that you might have some minor issues, if the screen resolutions of the two PCs don't match up.

You need a version of an OS that supports Remote Desktop Server on the PC you are attempting to control, or you need to install something like the TeamViewer Service.

Do they sell super cheap laptops with a decent screen and keyboard for this purpose? A controller laptop

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
I plan on using teamviewer

I tried using teamviewer to control my desktop with my phone, but it kept asking me for a password each time. Any way to make it sync with the controller laptop I might get?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I tried using teamviewer to control my desktop with my phone, but it kept asking me for a password each time. Any way to make it sync with the controller laptop I might get?

Uhm, yeah, put in the password...

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Do they sell super cheap laptops with a decent screen and keyboard for this purpose? A controller laptop

You can find a super cheap laptop.

You can't find a super cheap laptop with a nice screen and a nice keyboard.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Panasonic had a display unit that paired with the laptop. I bought the display unit that resembles a tablet in a way, but uses a stylus from Goodwill years ago and made bank on eBay. I can't find it on the net now and I wish you could go back several years in your sold listings in ebay then I would know what it was.

Back in 2008 they had a cell phone like device that you could use to see your computer. Can't remember the name of that now. LOL

Any tablet can use Teamviewer.

Here it is! http://www.pan-toughbooks.com/ekmps...ouchscreen-high-bright-screen-model-631-p.jpg

That particular device had a hack I read about on the Internet that could allow you to use it with non Panasonic computers using different drivers and software.

Last edited:

darkreize

Dec 20, 2010
Have you considered getting a Win 8 tablet? Some have 1080p screen, then just Teamviewer it.