Any somewhat good radio stations in Houston?

PointlesS

Mar 16, 2001
I just moved here from wisconsin to houston...it's a great change for me but I'm just disgusted at the radio stations here...in wisconsin I had 3 great radio stations that just played two things: heavy rock and metal...here I cannot find 1 radio station that plays such things...you'd think...houston with the 4th largest city in the us...would have at least 1 station? I'm really considering getting xm but the inital high price is keeping me away...I find I'm listening to AM sports talk radio more and more :(

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the rock station got shut down to become spanish-speaking top 40, mega 101.1. when it got shut down there were at least 3 threads here about it.

if you listen to am sports radio, don't listen to 790. it's the devil. listen to 610.

oh and don't get xm, they (like 790) are owned by the same people that killed rock 101.

rancidcrabtree

Sep 25, 2000
LOL. Sports Radio 610 and ESPN 790 here. You should have been here a few months ago when KLOL was here.

kev

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
If you live on the South side you can listen to 89.7 FM Its a college run rock station, the DJs suck for the most part but they play decent music.
I listen to the 106.9 ( 80s station) when 89.7 is off-air. Or my CDs.
Radio sucks in Houston :(

fuxxociety

Jun 17, 2004
Yeah, Houston's radio stations are somewhat lacking, 90% of the stations here are dominated by ClearChannel communications. We don't have /any/ hard rock stations that play stuff like sevendust, pantera, damageplan, or MudVayne.

I belive the closest stations that play even relatively hard rock would be 94.5 (clear channel, "new rock") or our brand new rock station, 97.5 (cumulus media, "grunge rock")

Every now and then I pull a radio station out of Beaumont, "Big Dog 106" They're by far the better station than anything I've listened to in Houston.

also, if you think about it, the majority of the population in Houston are spanish and migrant workers, so that would explain the extraordinay amount of tejano stations here. (bullshit, in my opinion, all the stations sound the same)