Any quiet cooling solutions for the 3870X2?

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
Hello,

Has anyone seen any quiet cooling solutions for the 3870x2? I've seen some really nice passive cooling solutions for the 3870 but haven't seen much in that effort on the 3870x2. I figure they could modify one of the passive solutions for a dual GPU unit and add a quiet fan to it and you'd have a great video card.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Not as simple as it looks, because you would have to either get dual blocks which would make your fin area of HSF smaller.

Otherwise, they would need a block covering BOTH gpu's which is kinda far apart and would be tough to make and well, basically a niche product.

I doubt we will see any coolers for it save water cooling

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
I'm not sure it would be that difficult -

I think they could put a block over each GPU - change it from 4 pipes to 3 pipes - 6 total. Use the same fin/radiator and add a 120mm fan over the top or two 80's and it would still be cool but very quiet.

I think there will be enough demand for the 3780x2 that it wouldn't be any more niche than the 3870 passive that two companies are already supplying with their cards (not add on). I could be wrong but I believe if they made it people would come.

http://www.pinoypc.net/index.p...k=view&id=537&Itemid=2

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
http://images.anandtech.com/re.../ati/3870x2/bridge.jpg

Quite far apart.

Its not difficult but they will not make enough money off it, thus it won't be produced. The fact remains it IS a niche product considering how well it does in performance compared to others

Another reason why it would be a niche product is that the cooler would not be transferrable to any other GPU. The products that sell the best are usually not catered to one gpu but can be placed on many (think of VF900)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: boe
I'm not sure it would be that difficult -

I think they could put a block over each GPU - change it from 4 pipes to 3 pipes - 6 total. Use the same fin/radiator and add a 120mm fan over the top or two 80's and it would still be cool but very quiet.

I think there will be enough demand for the 3780x2 that it wouldn't be any more niche than the 3870 passive that two companies are already supplying with their cards (not add on). I could be wrong but I believe if they made it people would come.

http://www.pinoypc.net/index.p...k=view&id=537&Itemid=2

yea, but that will be a cooler for one single card... usually the same cooler is used in many cards from the same series.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Why?

The provided cooler is superb and transfers all the heat out of the case where it belongs. At the desktop it is inaudible. It comes to life when playing games but most people have their sound higher than 50dB so that is not really an issue. ;)

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
I agree that the cooling solution would probably be limited to the 3870x2 so I see your point but it doesn't change that I hope someone will build one.

As for the sound on the default one - it is too loud according to the specs I've seen. I don't like anything in my system to be more than 35db at peak utilization. I've managed to do that on all of the systems I've built for the past 5 years without using a liquid cooling solution but if I get the 3870x2 I may have to go that route.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
why not just crossfire two 3870 cards with a silent cooler on each?
better performance, and you would not have to give up your silence.