Question Any quiet and light laptop with RTX GPU?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I am looking for a laptop (below 1.9 kg) that has RTX GPU and is silent. Can't stand those jet engine noise. Is there such a laptop yet?

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Hi, I am looking for a laptop (below 1.9 kg) that has RTX GPU and is silent. Can't stand those jet engine noise. Is there such a laptop yet?

How much throttling are you willing to deal with? Laptops that light will suffer a 20-45% fall in performance after heat soak sets in. None exist that will be quiet *while* gaming, but those that are set up to use on die CPU GPU for light tasks can be quiet the rest of the time. None of the large ones will be quiet during gaming either, but their fans aren’t as shrill.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
How much throttling are you willing to deal with? Laptops that light will suffer a 20-45% fall in performance after heat soak sets in. None exist that will be quiet *while* gaming, but those that are set up to use on die CPU GPU for light tasks can be quiet the rest of the time. None of the large ones will be quiet during gaming either, but their fans aren’t as shrill.

I have no idea how much throttling I am willing to deal with. If no lag in using Office, Youtube and Adobe software, that would be sufficient. I don't game but I want to use the laptop to do CUDA computations some of the time. So if I prefer a light (below 1.9kg) laptop with less noisy fans, I better stay with those with Nvidia 1050 MaxQ such as the X1 Extreme? I am hoping that Lenovo would put a RTX GPU in it and make it quiet.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I have no idea how much throttling I am willing to deal with. If no lag in using Office, Youtube and Adobe software, that would be sufficient. I don't game but I want to use the laptop to do CUDA computations some of the time. So if I prefer a light (below 1.9kg) laptop with less noisy fans, I better stay with those with Nvidia 1050 MaxQ such as the X1 Extreme? I am hoping that Lenovo would put a RTX GPU in it and make it quiet.
Adobe!!!!! CUDA Computations!!!!! You are looking at Nvidia 1050 MaxQ???? My friend, you arelooking at the wrong series of GPU for those tasks. There is a reason why Quadro based mobile GPU's exist, they were designed for programs that Adobe, and required large computations, AutoDesk, office, business, business software, ... . Basically Quadro is meant for professional oriented GPU usage, while GeForce is meant just soaley for gaming.

Think of it like this,

Quadro =Ford F150 stacked with logs
GeForce = Ferrari LaFerrari

Both have engines designed for high performance.

However, you are not going to be using a Ferrari for transporting logs, the engines performance was meant for speed, not endurance.
And you are not going to see a Ford F150 on a race track (with the exception of medical paramadeics, but thats a different story), as the engines performance was meant for endurance, not speed.

Reactions: pjmssn