Any possible fixes for tinnitus-like sound in 7.1 headphones?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've had these for a very long time (Razer Tiamat 7.1 Surround Sound headphones) and lately after a power surge I have a very high pitched tinnitus-esque screeching in the right channels. I've tried a few different methods I found suggested online but nothing has fixed the noise (reinstall drivers, cleaning the plugs, whacking it, etc.).

Aside from just getting a new headset, is there anything else I might try? I don't see any exposed wires and my PC is on a surge protector, so I'm not sure how the power surge caused this to happen, but it only started after the power surge a few weeks ago.

Ronpar65

Jun 15, 2021
I've had these for a very long time (Razer Tiamat 7.1 Surround Sound headphones) and lately after a power surge I have a very high pitched tinnitus-esque screeching in the right channels. I've tried a few different methods I found suggested online but nothing has fixed the noise (reinstall drivers, cleaning the plugs, whacking it, etc.).

Aside from just getting a new headset, is there anything else I might try? I don't see any exposed wires and my PC is on a surge protector, so I'm not sure how the power surge caused this to happen, but it only started after the power surge a few weeks ago.
Hey there, few days late here I know! Did you try hooking this to different usb ports? I guess You are using a PC or laptop with this? If so, go into settings and turn off the mic. You might be getting unwanted feedback from it. Lastly! are you sure it is the Razer Tiamat 7.1 Surround Sound headphones, or is in fact your pc/laptop which is the problem? If you have another PC, give it a try, or maybe a friends. Or If you have a Flat Screen TV? plug your Razer Tiamat into it's speaker jack and see if you still get the high pitch sound then? Hope this helps. Just saying it might not be your Razer Tiamat 7.1 at all, but that which your plugging it into. PS! do you have a power strip serge protector for your PC? If not, I would get one, for anything You have plugged in, it can save you a lot of money in the long run. Regards!

Last edited:

Ronpar65

Jun 15, 2021
Hey there, few days late here I know! Did you try hooking this to different usb ports? I guess You are using a PC or laptop with this? If so, go into settings and turn off the mic. You might be getting unwanted feedback from it. Lastly! are you sure it is the Razer Tiamat 7.1 Surround Sound headphones, or is in fact your pc/laptop which is the problem? If you have another PC, give it a try, or maybe a friends. Or If you have a Flat Screen TV? plug your Razer Tiamat into it's speaker jack and see if you still get the high pitch sound then? Hope this helps. Just saying it might not be your Razer Tiamat 7.1 at all, but that which your plugging it into. PS! do you have a power strip serge protector for your PC? If not, I would get one, for anything You have plugged in, it can save you a lot of money in the long run. Regards!
PS I just seen you did have a surge protector! Bad eyesight You Know? LOL! But, I would try them on a different system and see if it is truly them and not something else?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Did you try hooking this to different usb ports?
Yep. Every one gives the same result.
I guess You are using a PC or laptop with this? If so, go into settings and turn off the mic.
I've went through the settings and isolated every channel. It seems like the right mid channel has the biggest issue, but every one of the individual channels in the right ear cuff have varying levels of the high pitched noise.
If you have another PC, give it a try, or maybe a friends. Or If you have a Flat Screen TV? plug your Razer Tiamat into it's speaker jack and see if you still get the high pitch sound then?
I've tried plugging them into three different PCs and my TV. Same result.

About a year ago I started getting a really bad crackling sound in the left ear cuff and I traced the issue down to a broken wire inside the braided cable. I have the cable looped around the top of the headset which keeps the crackling away, but it's just a temporary fix to a much larger problem. The crackling I could deal with, but this ringing gives me a massive headache. It's on-par with how a cheap dog whistle sounds (yes, those affect me too for some reason). I appreciate the input, but it seems the headset is just on its last leg.