Any portable semi-ultra book with kaby lake and 1060 announced?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Was waiting for CES to announce some Kaby lake and geforce 1060 laptops that are less than 4.5 lbs. going to be doing a lot of traveling this year and need to get my overwatch fix and computing done. Haven't seen anything significant announced as far as ultrabook laptops are concerned that have a discrete GPU. am i missing something?

Cali3350

May 31, 2004
You want the Razer blade. They have not currently announced Kaby Lake but I'd expect within the month or so.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
You want the Razer blade. They have not currently announced Kaby Lake but I'd expect within the month or so.
Yes. I do want the razer blade, but with kaby lake because of that stupid netflix 4k drm capability BS... willing to splurge this time on an awesome laptop. i've been holding back for years. been living with a dell d630 since 2007. the time is now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought gigabyte or msi would announce something, but so far they only have skylake laptops with 1060. This is essentially going to be my "desktop" when i'm away on extended periods of time, so i'm probably going to go for the i7-7700HQ quad core.

Cali3350

May 31, 2004
I think its safe to assume that Razer will be updating soon. They are probably either finalizing the mobo, or waiting for existing stock to run out first.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
razer blade seems to weight 4.16 lbs, same as the Gigabyte Aero 14 series. There is a Kaby lake w/ 1060 config for that laptop, but no one seems to have it in stock...

justin4pack

Jan 21, 2012
I don't know if you found something but when I was showing around I found a msi stealth pro. Has a 1060 6gb but a skylake cpu. Under 4lbs. Good reviews.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I've pretty much decided on the gigabyte aero 14... Lightest weight with the specs Im looking for

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
I wonder if advanced heat-spreaders were skipped in an engineering planning phase to try and make the MSI Stealth Pro and GB Aero really thin and light for general gaming laptop standards.
They run really hot and very loud under load. I would be willing to pay an extra $250 out of pocket to get a custom job done on these laptops to keep them more temperature cool and less audible.
Razer's are difficult to beat.
But for the price and convenient size, I would still get the Aero 'cuz of the sleek 14" design, that's so slick.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I wonder if advanced heat-spreaders were skipped in an engineering planning phase to try and make the MSI Stealth Pro and GB Aero really thin and light for general gaming laptop standards.
They run really hot and very loud under load. I would be willing to pay an extra $250 out of pocket to get a custom job done on these laptops to keep them more temperature cool and less audible.
But for the price and convenient size, I would still get the Aero 'cuz of the sleek 14" design, that's so slick.
What kind of custom job are you referring to? My aero14 is on its way right now. Will probably reapply thermal paste in a few weeks if it runs hot and see what happens.

Reviews seem to indicate that it runs warm , but it's a trade off.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Where do you get that information from? All reviews I've seen of the Aero 14 are positive towards its cooling and temps.
Hexus.net said:
Shoehorning a quad-core Intel CPU and GeForce GTX 1060 graphics into a 14in form factor is always going to be a challenge, yet the Aero 14 manages to cope reasonably well. The system does become noticeably warm when gaming, but the fans do a decent job of expelling heat and, to our pleasant surprise, noise output isn't obnoxious. The laptop is quiet enough when idle and though the fans can be heard clearly when either processor is placed under significant load, noise isn't likely to be a major issue during general work.
Source.
That's about as good as you can hope for with a 45W CPU and a ~90W GPU in a 14" form factor.

OP: You might have trouble finding these in stock simply due to how new they are. They'll come around, though.