Any police here? Can I call someone who's in jail?

PCFetish

Aug 30, 2002
I am someone in west coast(BC) Canada.

My friend is in jail(correctional fecility?) in New york state
He got in recently, and supposably had his trial last week.
He's from canada too, but committed a crime while he was in USA

Before his trial, I was able to talk to him, he called me many times, using collect call. but after the trial, I haven't been able to talk to him.
He calls me with collect call but I can not get through no matter waht I do. I'm supposed to press '0' to accept but the line cuts off or hangs before I can even press '0' or doesn't reponse even if I press 0.

I really need to know what his situation is but I dont know how I can talk to him.
I guess after his trial, he was moved to different place and maybe the phone company there is messed up or something.
it's not just me too, other friend called me and told me samething, that he can not accept the call.

Is there any way I can call from here to where ever he is?
I can't go visit him, too far and dont know where he is.

any help will be great

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Do you know the name of the facility? Call them directly and ask how to contact an inmate.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i guess you cant make intl collect calls from prison. im not all that surprised though.

PCFetish

Aug 30, 2002
thank you
I dont know the name but when I pick it up it says "Albany correctional facility" my caller ID says area code 518
is that the name? Albany correctional facility?
where would I have to look to get the number?

thank you once again

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Also, if you can call 888 numbers in the states, you can register for the VINE service which will notify you of any custody status changes for the inmate. You'll probably need their offender ID or some other form of unique identifier for them. Call the 518-457-5000 # to find out what you can.

To register for VINE for the state of NY call, 1-888-VINE-4NY

Edit: Not sure if VINE is able to call #s in Canada but I think it can.

More info on NY's VINE service

PCFetish

Aug 30, 2002
Thank you so much for you all help!
I'll contact them and see what I can find out.
He didn't hurt anyone, not drugs, just got mixed with wrong people at wrong time, I'm so worry for him...
thanks again for the information