Any place to rent a Nintendo DS for a flight?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: CrazyShiz
Originally posted by: dighn
go to ebgames or something, buy the ds, take it on your flight and play it.... then, when you get back, return it.

there you go. you rented it and didn't lose any money in the end. problem solved.

:thumbsdown: OP please don't do this

Agreed. This is the reason a lot of stores have crappy return policies.

well, pick a place with a good return policy. i just picked a random place... didn't know about the return policy.

go to walmart or something... they take back anything.

No... what he's saying is that a lot of stores that USED to have very customer-friendly return policies are changing their policies because people do stuff like you're describing.

No need to argue this guy, he probably wasn't raised right.

i was raised well enough to know not to be a butthole and think that i was raised better than anyone else.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
go to ebgames or something, buy the ds, take it on your flight and play it.... then, when you get back, return it.

there you go. you rented it and didn't lose any money in the end. problem solved.

well, pick a place with a good return policy. i just picked a random place... didn't know about the return policy.

No... what he's saying is that a lot of stores that USED to have very customer-friendly return policies are changing their policies because people do stuff like you're describing.

i was raised well enough to know not to be a butthole and think that i was raised better than anyone else.

:disgust:

Obviously everybody was raised better than you because we all think its unethical what you do.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I dont see the big freaking deal.
Buy a used DS lite from EB games, use it and then sell it back (for the trade in value). They resell it to someone else used again...

Whats the big freaking deal.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: glassflower

from what i know, eb games won't let you return working ds systems...

go to circuit city - no questions asked return policy, unless they changed it within the rpast year or so
not that i'm condoning you do this though

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

:disgust:

Obviously everybody was raised better than you because we all think its unethical what you do.

I was raised to employ a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. ;)

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: sao123
Buy a used DS lite from EB games, use it and then sell it back (for the trade in value). They resell it to someone else used again...

the big deal is eits is implying to buy a NEW ds and then return it after he's "rented" it.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

The big deal is that if you buy a used DS, you're only paying $10 less than a new one, and selling it back will only give you 25-30% of the price they sell it for.

So if you buy it for about $100, they'll buy it from you for about $30. That's a pretty f'ing expensive rental.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Injury

The big deal is that if you buy a used DS, you're only paying $10 less than a new one, and selling it back will only give you 25-30% of the price they sell it for.

So if you buy it for about $100, they'll buy it from you for about $30. That's a pretty f'ing expensive rental.

well i guess that depends on how desparate you are.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
if a stores return policy is you can return it after it's open, i don't see what the hell the big deal is if he just buys it and returns it 2 weeks later when he's back from his trip? it's not against their rules or anything if they allow the return of opened items. get off this guys nuts, sheesh.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: purbeast0
if a stores return policy is you can return it after it's open, i don't see what the hell the big deal is if he just buys it and returns it 2 weeks later when he's back from his trip? it's not against their rules or anything if they allow the return of opened items. get off this guys nuts, sheesh.

If you owned an electronics store, would you want people borrow your brand new goods for 2 weeks then return it?

Returns are there for broken products, not there so you can use it as rental store.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
The most "ethical" way, would be to buy used from craigslist locally or some other store, and then resell on ebay when youre done. Probably cost you less than $10, you might even make some $$ in the exchange.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

See that's the problem - people are willing to take advantage of lax return policies and justify it to themselves because "it's not against the rules." But then stores realize that the people who take advantage of them are costing them too much money, so they change their return policy to be less customer-friendly. Then people bitch about restocking fees when they're returning perfectly good but used merchandise that they just decided they didn't want.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

See that's the problem - people are willing to take advantage of lax return policies and justify it to themselves because "it's not against the rules." But then stores realize that the people who take advantage of them are costing them too much money, so they change their return policy to be less customer-friendly. Then people bitch about restocking fees when they're returning perfectly good but used merchandise that they just decided they didn't want.

restocking fee is fair. if they want to charge me 10-15% because i don't want the product anymore, i'd be cool with that. i wouldn't be cool with buying something and then trying to sell it back and getting only 30% of what it's worth.