Any personal experience getting M$ Office 2007 working in Linux?

Nov 20, 2009
I was thinking about trying to get Microsoft Office 2007 (the last version I bought) installed and running in Linux Mint. I read one particular guide a while back saying the typical install with Wine doesn't work, or not very well, but a different approach was needed. Just wondered if any of you tried to install M$ Office.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I was thinking about trying to get Microsoft Office 2007 (the last version I bought) installed and running in Linux Mint. I read one particular guide a while back saying the typical install with Wine doesn't work, or not very well, but a different approach was needed. Just wondered if any of you tried to install M$ Office.

I'd try it on a VM for you if I wasn't concerned about screwing up my product activation.

I got Access 2000 working on Wine recently with a VM but the text rendering was a little odd. I have a couple of Windows VMs for various purposes so I run MSO on the rare occasion I need it, and use LibreOffice for my everyday work.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Libre Office should be compatible with that format if that's all you're looking for. But if you need to run it specifically a VM might be the easiest, not aware of a more native way. A bit more of a pain though as you basically are managing two OSes and not exactly getting away from Windows, and have to find a way to share files to the VM. (Samba, NFS etc).