Any people in the Tampa area involved in...

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I'm interested in dabbling in something along the lines of Jiu Jitsu or Hapkido (sp?). Something grappling based is what I'd be more interested in. I used to wrestle in high school and was pretty decent. I'm not interested in any competitions or anything, just something to use up some energy and learn some technique. My main concern is I had a pretty knee injury a few years back. I went through rehab and stuff but I've never fully recovered. I get quite sore sometimes when I push myself to hard.

Also, I don't have a lot of free time. 17 credit hours and 35 hours a week at work take up most of my time. But I'd like to find something maybe one a week at night thats fairly inexpensive. Dunno, anyone got any ideas?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
one night a week is easy to find anywhere, for cost YMCA or your own college would be the best bet.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Good idea alkemyst. I did a quick search at USF and found Aikido, which is offered during a time that would work for me. I did a quick wiki read on it and it seems like it'd be something I'd be interested in. I'm a bit concerned that they don't practice sparring often, as you can't really learn something if you don't do it for real. But maybe thats a YMMV thing. Anyone have any experience with Aikido? Thoughts on it?

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
what about Krava Maga?? I've heard it's physically exhausting... but teaches you real world self-defense tips.