Any people here that Metal Detect?

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I used to do this 15+ years ago and started with a piece of crap $100. Radio shack model........... My detector after that was an old Tesoro Toltec 100 I bought in '94 and still have, but it's a bit ancient.

Now I'm looking to get into this again and need some tips, pointers........ ETC!

With a max of $1,100. to spend, what do you suggest, and what type?
I was thinking coin/relic......

Minelab (I was seriously looking at this brand)
Whites
Garrett
Tesoro
Fisher
Other?

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Leros
Is it really that fun? Don't you just find a bunch of trash?

Is it fun? I suppose it's not for everyone. Just like climbing a mtn is not for me ;)
Well, today's detectors are a lot better and can eliminate (discriminate) most bad finds even before you start digging.
Aluminum foil is one of the tougher metals to block though, unless you want to miss some of the better stuff.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had a cheap Radio Shack metal detector when I was younger, it was fun. I've always thought it would be cool to have a professional one... People really do find some neat things.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
I had a cheap Radio Shack metal detector when I was younger, it was fun. I've always thought it would be cool to have a professional one... People really do find some neat things.

I also had one ($100). I did find a nice silver ring with it at a camping site.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..it's fun if you can find some place that isn't trashed wit a 50 year layer of pull tabs and bottle tops. Did find a nice watch and a few old coins. But there's an endless supply of junk to be cleared.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Are you retired or a vagabond?

Nope, just looking to get back into the hobby. I Have money to spend, some free time and want to get out of the house more often. Thinking of buying one for the wife also.
I'm in my mid 30's btw.