Any PC flight simes (preferably space) where you can control with mouse?

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I've been craving a space fighting sim pc game... It seems like my ONLY option is the Descent series.. (most likely Descent Freespace 2.)

My brother owns the game, however, and the stupid copy protection on the cdrom won't let me run it on my computer (have an external USB dvd drive only). So, I didn't feel like downloading it..

Aren't there any other sims? Also, can I even control the ship with the mouse? I don't wanna play a flight sim game that won't let me use the mouse to control the direction of the ship..

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Another game I really liked was Microsoft's Fury 3.. but that was fvcking forever and a half ago! Aren't there any newer games that play like that? I DON'T want some flight-sim sh1t where it takes me 2 hours to learn all the damn controls and there's not even enough keys on the keyboard to do everyting..

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
How about that Microsoft hovercraft game that used to be shipped as a demo version on all sorts of CDs back in the mid-90's?

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
You can use a mouse with any, but you'd be crazy to do so. Flight sims without a joystick are like first person shooters on the pc, without a mouse.

Take a look at the Star Wars ones- TIE-Fighter is easily one of the greatest games ever.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
the Freespace series is loads of fun, especially Freespace 2. There's nothing quite like chasing down the enemy under full afterburner, while enormous searing beams of raw energy are being thrown back and forth right next to your ship by the capital ships. I love that game. There's also freelancer, and for fun try out the Independence War series...they have accurate space physics, which is kind of interesting. Any momentum you build up stays with you until you thrust in the opposite direction. The default setup has retro rockets that fire automatically to brake you to a halt, or stop you from spinning, but you can turn those off. It take a lot of getting used to, but it also means you can kite into a system at enormous speeds, strafe the %*&# out of someone, and disappear before they have a hope of hitting you. Of course, it takes you a LONG time to get back to where they are to finish them off. Very unique game, but impossible to find.

I ONLY use kb/mouse for flight/space sims...I never got into joysticks.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
the Freespace series is loads of fun, especially Freespace 2. There's nothing quite like chasing down the enemy under full afterburner, while enormous searing beams of raw energy are being thrown back and forth right next to your ship by the capital ships. I love that game. There's also freelancer, and for fun try out the Independence War series...they have accurate space physics, which is kind of interesting. Any momentum you build up stays with you until you thrust in the opposite direction. The default setup has retro rockets that fire automatically to brake you to a halt, or stop you from spinning, but you can turn those off. It take a lot of getting used to, but it also means you can kite into a system at enormous speeds, strafe the %*&# out of someone, and disappear before they have a hope of hitting you. Of course, it takes you a LONG time to get back to where they are to finish them off. Very unique game, but impossible to find.

I ONLY use kb/mouse for flight/space sims...I never got into joysticks.

LOL @ the independence war comment.

Ya I LOVED IW2. Independence War2 was just simply awesome. The story, and space physics was awesome. ya, biulding up speed, and then straffing was pretty hard, and funny. I loved that game.
I wish they'll make IW3. IW2's ending was a bit depressing and nonconclusive. It's as if destruction was inevietable; just when will it happen.

I just loved hitting the police space stations. Challenging hehe. The whole game's concept, size, etc was very impressive.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Okay.. I just beat Freelancer single player.. and I'll say I absolutely loved it. IMO, that's how video games oughta be - 'almost' complete freedom while the story line develops..

Time to try one of the new suggestions..

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Freespace 1/2 work well with a mouse. They are meant for joysticks but I've played through them using a mouse and it's still good, heck you can even aim more accurately. They are awesome space sims. You've really missed out if you haven't played them. But it's not too late! Get 'em now! They have a very cinematic feel and good plots.

BTW the freespace series are quite different from the descent series even though freespace 1 shares the descent name.

oh and wrong forum

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: LtPage1
You can use a mouse with any, but you'd be crazy to do so. Flight sims without a joystick are like first person shooters on the pc, without a mouse.

Take a look at the Star Wars ones- TIE-Fighter is easily one of the greatest games ever.

Tie Defender! :thumbsup: