Any other games like Trine & Trine 2?

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
I got both Trine games during the Steam weekend sale a couple weeks ago. I have played both and liked them a lot. Are there any other games that are similar to the Trine series and good?

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Trine and Trine 2 were awesome, you should also consider Limbo, Braid, and Bastion.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
None of those games are like Trine or Trine 2

Check out Rochard for a similar game.

lamarwisneski

Mar 2, 2012
www.direct2play.com
Well Trine is a bit unique in that it's a physics platform puzzler and using different characters to do different things but I can recommend you following games...
Braid : It's an awesome game, give it a try if you haven't already.
Rocard : It is an extremely fun and well made, though it's only single player.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Trine is pretty unique and a lot of fun.

Braid and Limbo are both side scroller platform games which feature puzzles but don't have the "action" that Trine does, Braid is time puzzle based and very clever, Limbo is dark and menacing, they're both fantastic games in their own right.

Like with Trine I always thought these short indy games were a tad too overpriced though, I wait for sales on Indy games most of the time, keep an eye on steam for deals.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
It depends on what about them would make something 'like' them. The puzzles? The physics? The character swaps? The side scrolling?

Personally I would say Shank is somewhat similar to Trine. Side scroller but no puzzles and more action. And though it's kind of gorey, the art direction is similar as well in it's focus on detail, fluid animations, and lush backgrounds in a 2d environment.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If your main interest was the co-op platformer aspect, Rayman Origins is pretty good.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
there's been several side scroller games out lately, but not exactly like trine. more action oriented (mostly fighting) and some more puzzle oriented (no fighting).

Shank
Shank 2
Deadlight
Mark of the Ninja
Giana Sisters
Unmechanical
Botanicula

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
Capsized! It's on Steam. A lot of similarities to the Trine series - physics-based action side-scroller. You are an astronaut/space traveler who crash lands on a planet. Really fun, although I have only played a few levels. I use m/kb, just like Trine.

BTW, is Trine 2 that much better than Trine 1? Besides the better graphics and multiplayer, is there anything else that makes it an improvement over the original?

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Capsized! It's on Steam. A lot of similarities to the Trine series - physics-based action side-scroller. You are an astronaut/space traveler who crash lands on a planet. Really fun, although I have only played a few levels. I use m/kb, just like Trine.

BTW, is Trine 2 that much better than Trine 1? Besides the better graphics and multiplayer, is there anything else that makes it an improvement over the original?

I think the visuals are the biggest improvement over Trine 1, but it is a big improvement from an art perspective. Otherwise it will be a lot of the same things you experienced in Trine 1.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

They fixed a few annoyances (like the wizard being mana limited in Trine 1 for example).