Any other Democrats and/or sane folks watch Fox news self-masochistically?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
I'm absolutely watching Fox News ALL DAY TODAY. I want a front row seat to the GOP meltdown.

Obama's victory tonight will be the best thing to happen for Fox/Rush/etc in the past 8 years.

Do tell.

Isn't this obvious?
The left fake news shows benefit when the right has power (Daily Show and Colbert report get higher ratings picking on Bush then if they were mocking lower profile people) ...
The fake news shows for the right (pretty much everything on Fox News) will get better ratings when they poke fun at President Obama.

What's bad for your party is good for the fake news that represents your party ...

The problem is is that TDS and Colbert aren't news shows nor do they claim to be. They're satirical comedy shows plain and simple. Fox is a whole Goddamn network dedicated to "Fair and Balanced "reporting"."

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
^^ An internet meme told me that right-wing, faux-news comedy is never funny. ^^

I do. I can't help it. I shout at the TV and pace back and forth. Is there something wrong with me?

My mother does this and I tell her all the time that I'm going to call the white-coats on her.

YOU CANNOT HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH THE LITTLE MAN IN THE TV MOM!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Yes, I do.

I've actually been browsing a lot of die-hard NObama forums lately too.

It's smart to know and understand your enemy.

It's kinda sad when Americans regard other Americans with different opinions as them as "enemies."

Those "enemies" of your are usually just ill-informed. Most of them don't all have malicious intent.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Worse - conservative talk radio (side note - I'm not a democrat, but I'm not a republican either). I used to commute 90 minutes each way, and talk radio was the only thing that made the drive bearable. I'm in the NYC area, so that meant I'd catch a little O'Reilly if I left early, a lot of Bob Grant, and if I had the misfortune of leaving late I'd hear the beginning of Michael Savage's show. Listening to their callers made me really question the merits of popular elections. But I know there are idiots on both sides, I just hope the numbers are relatively equal.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
I do. I can't help it. I shout at the TV and pace back and forth. Is there something wrong with me?

My mother does this and I tell her all the time that I'm going to call the white-coats on her.

YOU CANNOT HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH THE LITTLE MAN IN THE TV MOM!

I know. I have a problem.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yes, I do.

Except that they are not really your enemy, and you reading those forums doesn't honestly change your actions does it? What do you exactly do where you need to know how to politically react?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I was thinking about it today and I think I might be more inclined to watch Fox after January 20th than I have been for the past 8 years.

I think I'd rather watch a news organization be overly critical towards those in power rather than sycophantic.

Jul 7, 2008
You guys do realize there is more to Fox than you might think? Sure it's biased, but there is plenty of quality programming. Plus have of the commentary isn't even original.

People become so jaded into thinking Fox is this satanic media outlet, but plenty of other news coperations offer the same level of bias (if not more). Be thankful for Fox News, they make all your favorite news sites look innocent.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: counterstrikedude
You guys do realize there is more to Fox than you might think? Sure it's biased, but there is plenty of quality programming. Plus have of the commentary isn't even original.

People become so jaded into thinking Fox is this satanic media outlet, but plenty of other news coperations offer the same level of bias (if not more). Be thankful for Fox News, they make all your favorite news sites look innocent.

Without agreeing to your claim, assuming it were true, I won't support Fox because it's a mouthpiece for evil regardless of any 'good programming'.

Machines of evil often have 'quality products' as cash cows to generate funds for the evil machine areas.

The Wall Street Journal, for example, has excellent news reporting - which funds the evil editorial section, so I don't buy it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I was thinking about it today and I think I might be more inclined to watch Fox after January 20th than I have been for the past 8 years.

I think I'd rather watch a news organization be overly critical towards those in power rather than sycophantic.

You would have a point, if Fox had any 'integrity' in their criticism. Think back to the constant ridiculous attacks by them on Clinton, and change the channel.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
I've been watching FoxNews quite frequently today to check on their views after the elections. Did anyone catch the Donald Trump interview with Greta Van Sustren tonight? Total SMACKDOWN on Bush. He was quite candid about George Bush and in essence the Republican party as a whole for the past 8 years. Was pretty brutal and I could sense a bit of uneasiness with Greta during the whole bit. I'm hoping theres a youtube clip up soon.

Jul 7, 2008
Originally posted by: Craig234

Without agreeing to your claim, assuming it were true, I won't support Fox because it's a mouthpiece for evil regardless of any 'good programming'.

Machines of evil often have 'quality products' as cash cows to generate funds for the evil machine areas.

The Wall Street Journal, for example, has excellent news reporting - which funds the evil editorial section, so I don't buy it.

So are you the knower of all evil? Is it evil because you disagree with the programming? Evil because it's biased?? Using hyperbolic terms and expecting people to nod their head is the Obama way, but most rational thinkers will question.

I am not arguing that Fox is morally corrupt and evil, but you seem so obsessed with it that makes me feel you are one of those jaded types. I read all media, evil or not. I like to be informed - enforcing my own political opinions isn't informative, it's simply zealous.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234

So are you the knower of all evil? Is it evil because you disagree with the programming? Evil because it's biased?? Using hyperbolic terms and expecting people to nod their head is the Obama way, but most rational thinkers will question.

I am not arguing that Fox is morally corrupt and evil, but you seem so obsessed with it that makes me feel you are one of those jaded types. I read all media, evil or not. I like to be informed - enforcing my own political opinions isn't informative, it's simply zealous.

Forgive me for not writing a thousand words to back up the word 'evil' each time I use it. I've occassionaly had some prefer that use some shorthand.

Evil, because it promotes harmful policies for dishonest and selfish reasons. What else is evil in media? We could have a lengthy discussion, but would you read books I suggest?

The fact that you are cautious in your attack - not disagreeing with my cconclusion, using the word 'seem', tells me you and I would probably be able to agree quite a bit.

In short, I think your tentative conclusions are wrong. The word evil is used carefully, despite the lack of a long explanatory post. Zealous? Yes, in the good sense, not reckless.

You say you read 'all media'. You may note I distinguished between 'reading' and 'financially assisting'. It sounds good to say you read 'all media', but I'd differ. It's one thing to give a product a fair chance - but there are only so many hours in the day, and you cannot - cannot - read 'all media'. I've done calculations that consuming just the set of media I think is good could take 100+ hours a day. You have to choose.

There are media products so consistently worthless, even harmful, it makes sense to all but exclude them, once you reach that conclusion.

When you come to view media not as the individuals you see and read, mostly (there are exceptions such as Paul Krugman who is his own content creator), but as a machine with an agenda funded by some wealthy group, I think you get a better picture of the situation. Agenda doesn't always or even usually mean political agenda, but in some cases, that is a big part of the product. You come to understand what giving Rupert Murdoch a dollar for *any* of his products means in terms of his funding propaganda.

Take for example The Washington Times. It was created by Rev. Moon, and while the most obvious criticism is to point out his absurd characteristics, the more relevant issue is that the paper was created specifically to further the right-wing ideology - sold by the lie about how the Washington Post is a 'left wing' paper - and how much it pushes dishonest propaganda. (The bias accusation is powerful propaganda - what if I said all of Anandtech is right-wing or left-wing, and needs 'balance' of equal size from the 'missing side'?)

Evil has nice clothes. It's why the word seems harsh when used accurately - you mean that nice looking thing, you mean to say it's evil? Why, come on now, that's zealotry.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

Talking point # 4321232

and :laugh: at "omg guys don't be so jaded!" :laugh:

jeffw2767602

Banned
Aug 22, 2007
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Yes, I do.

It's kinda sad when Americans regard other Americans with different opinions as them as "enemies."

Those "enemies" of your are usually just ill-informed. Most of them don't all have malicious intent.

Being ill-informed is our biggest enemy as a nation and as a people. Seriously I can't count how many retarded people I meet on a daily basis that fly both the blue flag and the red flag. It is disgusting on so many levels that I am starting to feel my blood pressure rise just thinking about it. I live in West Virginia I might add....stay away if you enjoy your sanity lol.

Edit: I used the term retarded a bit harshly haha...just thought I would point out I am not being literal.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
My dad listens to right-wing radio in the morning, though I don't know why. It just gets him all riled up from the horrendous idiocy and bigotry.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I do that at the TV and the radio and when the alliance kills me in the battlegrounds and it because I'm totally nuts.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
I wish they would put a nut on to counter Hannity.

Hannity & Olberman would own.

That dude Colmes just sits back and takes so much crap.

Jul 7, 2008
Originally posted by: RichardE

Talking point # 4321232

and :laugh: at "omg guys don't be so jaded!" :laugh:

talking point #1223838472392

so persuasive! see, he can read and write numbers.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
I watch it an chuckle. I read a post either on here or on another forum where a black woman said that she watches Fox News to remember how backwards this country still is. I somewhat agree with her. I watch it because it is more of a show than anything.... Kinda like News Theater.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
I'm absolutely watching Fox News ALL DAY TODAY. I want a front row seat to the GOP meltdown.

Obama's victory tonight will be the best thing to happen for Fox/Rush/etc in the past 8 years.

Do tell.

It's easier to blame someone then defend someone. The guys on here should know about that :)

Agreed, that makes perfect sense. Sad but it makes sense.

Of course it makes sense, and history backs it up. The GOP made all sorts of gains riding anti-Clinton backlash in '94, but promptly got corrupted once they actually had to govern. They did manage to pass some balanced budgets in the late 90's, but that was more due to revenues being well above projections due to the tech bubble. The GOP Congress still spent too much. The Dems then rode that backlash back to power in '06, but what have they done since? Their approval ratings are as bad as Bush's. So now that the GOP has been kicked hard in the groin, they'll have to regroup, reenergize, and return to their principles, if they can find where they left them. After all, it's been awhile since they stood for anything.