Any opinions on 27" 1080p monitors?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
WOW! Now I have to research from scratch! U2412M doesn't have HDMI! How is it even possible! My 6 years old monitor has it! Jeez! And I want 1200p. And the updated model of U2412M is not available in my country yet!
Dear Lord! Utterly confused which one to get now!!!!!!!!

Do you *need* a HDMI connection on the monitor? It should be possible to use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to accomplish the same thing right?

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
WOW! Now I have to research from scratch! U2412M doesn't have HDMI! How is it even possible! My 6 years old monitor has it! Jeez! And I want 1200p. And the updated model of U2412M is not available in my country yet!

1) DVI and HDMI use the same video standard. An inexpensive HDMI-> single-link DVI cable will solve this problem.

2) You have a GTX 580, what's wrong with using displayport? Or one of the other DVI connections?

FrankSchwab

Nov 8, 2002
I use a 32" 1080p TV as my main monitor, and love it. Can I see pixels if I look? Sure, but I'm looking at the content, not the pixels, and it works great. 32" is small enough that I don't have to move my head left-to-right to view the whole screen, but large enough that I can use an 8-point font in my text editor, and have plenty of room on the screen for other windows.

Would I love a 4K Seiki instead? Sure, but I can't justify one at the moment. Would I like a 2560x1440 instead? Sure, but what I've got works well enough. And mine cost $200.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Do you *need* a HDMI connection on the monitor? It should be possible to use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to accomplish the same thing right?
Need? I guess no. I just use HDMI for so long, and I literally forgot where my DVI cable is :)
1) DVI and HDMI use the same video standard. An inexpensive HDMI-> single-link DVI cable will solve this problem.

2) You have a GTX 580, what's wrong with using displayport? Or one of the other DVI connections?
I have no idea what's display port?
I use a 32" 1080p TV as my main monitor, and love it. Can I see pixels if I look? Sure, but I'm looking at the content, not the pixels, and it works great. 32" is small enough that I don't have to move my head left-to-right to view the whole screen, but large enough that I can use an 8-point font in my text editor, and have plenty of room on the screen for other windows.

Would I love a 4K Seiki instead? Sure, but I can't justify one at the moment. Would I like a 2560x1440 instead? Sure, but what I've got works well enough. And mine cost $200.
All depends on the viewing distance. I sit around 2.5 ft or less from the monitor, and imho a 32" will be ridiculously high. I used my 42" Bravia two days back for gaming, was playing Ghost / BF4 / Run and it was a fantastic experience, however as soon as I was done gaming, for general computer works, like reading something on a webpage and all those were simply horrible. The texts looked so awkward! Very low PPI was the culprit I guess. Then and there I took decision of buying a decent monitor. TV is great for watching movies and playing games maybe, but a monitor is the thing for other computer related works, IMO.

Last edited:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Need? I guess no. I just use HDMI for so long, and I literally forgot where my DVI cable is :)

I have no idea what's display port?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

The display port connector looks similar to a large HDMI connection. If you look at the back of your video card you might see such a port next to your HMDI connection. I didn't even know my video card had such a connection until I got my new monitor. My new monitor came with a display port cable so I went ahead and used it. Seems to work well.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I was going to mention connection types. My U2412M was a direct drop ijn to an existing DVI cable. HDMI would have been a non-starter for me. The resolution is great - but the USB ports on the left side of the screen are useless - no room. I would prefer them on the base. :)

Dell_Mon2.jpg

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

The display port connector looks similar to a large HDMI connection. If you look at the back of your video card you might see such a port next to your HMDI connection. I didn't even know my video card had such a connection until I got my new monitor. My new monitor came with a display port cable so I went ahead and used it. Seems to work well.
Lol, got it, and luckily my GPU has one it seems :hmm: It was capped with the blue cap which comes with it, so didn't even bother to open and see what the heck was it. I can now go on with 2412 peacefully. Thanks all.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
The resolution is great - but the USB ports on the left side of the screen are useless - no room. I would prefer them on the base. :)

Ha! Seems like we need to trade.

USB ports on the base is a good idea (assuming we are talking about the front of the base).