Any one else hooked on CSI?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: hoyaguru
I never watched CSI, until a couple of months ago Spike was having a marathon and I decided to see what all of the fuss was about. The episode I watched was about a guy who dies on a plane. At the end of the show it was proven that the guy had some kind of chemical imbalance that made him a bit surly, so all of the passengers in first class (and the stewardess) decided to KILL HIM. They were all in on it, and decided to hush it all up, but those CSI folks figured it all out.

<sarcasm> OK, so I realize this happens all the time, I've been on several flights where me and the other passengers decided that another passenger was making a bit too much noise and we all killed him and kept it secret. </sarcasm>

This is the type of show that everyone's watching? Give me a break, how unrealistic can you get? Are all of the episodes this far fetched?

It was supposed to be a mob mentality kind of thing. You're thinking too hard. I will reiterate that it's TELEVISION. It's not science, it's entertainment. I guess you just watch Biography and the History Channel all day long?

Well, here's my take on it Jzero, and I know I'm days late to the discussion. For me at least the show is just too unrealistic to stomach. Why? Well, these "crime scene investigators" are supposedly forensic experts.......the kind of people whose department is headed by someone with DOCTOR attached to their name, either via medical school or PhD. The people who work in the dept. are technicians, lab, etc. But in the shows I've managed to watch, I end up wondering why the police department in that particular city, be it NY, Miami, or wherever, even has a detective devision.

I've watched these technicians kick down doors with guns drawn, shoot it out with suspects, handcuff the bad guys, and solve the case, each and every time 2 seconds before the fat detective shows up....late as usual to the solution.

I find it funny to think of lab rats being detectives is all.......because crime scene investigators do none of the above. They poke around, take samples, pics, etc. and evaluate and investigate....not chase suspects and shoot it out with potential suspects, much less kick down doors and the like.

Don't get me wrong......I do like some network stuff.....love Law and Order, NYPD Blue, Homicide when it was on. But the unrealistic aspects of CSI are just tooooo much for any thinking person to swallow, even for entertainment. I want to see detectives, I'll watch a detective show.

And yes, I watch a bit of History Channel, Biography, Discovery, Science, and the like. That's because real life is always more bizarre and twisted than anything Hollywood can ever come up with.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
It's on 2-3 times a day on SPike TV. I love that show. I think I've seen every episode a few times except maybe the new ones as I never remember what shows are on which day.

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
Nope, hooked on Lost and Firefly both awesome series, enjoy the Apprentice, though this season
has been a little boring.

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Atomicus
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: NFS4
Hell no. I have a friend who is a forensics/ballistics expert for the NC State Beareu of Investigation. She says that the show is totally unrealistic in its methodology, presentation, techniques ued and they don't go out into the field looking all purdy with short skirts on and perfect makeup.

The characters in CSI are almost always wearing some sort of uniform when in the field.

As for realism...it's television. Aren't you one of our resident corps of 24 junkies? Because if you are, don't even try to complain about a show being unrealistic.

Nooooooooo, NFS4 is a Scrubs junkie! :D

"Now get back in the examing room Shirley and hike up your dress b/c you're rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally gonna take up the pooper this time."

CSI is good. But Scrubs is one of the greatest shows ever made. It's like a freaking hilarious Doogie Howser. That and Arrested Development.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
1.) CSI-- Original is very good
2.) CSI NY -- Good

x.) CSI MIami--- TRASH! Caruso is moron/jerk--can't hide it even when acting. The glam direction sucks. No affiliation with the characters who, for the most part, come off as arogant. Like I said, TRASH.