Any of you torrent at your campus?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: pcslookout
couldent at my school when i was in college im sure you still cant, they blocked the ports

Thats why you use either encryption with BT if that is to slow then usenet with SSL to get around the blocked ports. They can't block all ports.

99% of people dont care that much, newsgroups didnt work IIRC either, i know IRC was blocked you couldent even log on

all downloads were capped at 450K/s anyway to external sites,

I bet newsgroups would of worked with SSL and if it didn't work you can always use easynews they can't block easynews.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
couldent at my school when i was in college im sure you still cant, they blocked the ports

Thats why you use either encryption with BT if that is to slow then usenet with SSL to get around the blocked ports. They can't block all ports.

99% of people dont care that much, newsgroups didnt work IIRC either, i know IRC was blocked you couldent even log on

I bet newsgroups would of worked with SSL and if it didn't work you can always use easynews they can't block easynews.

anything with user selectable ports + SSL/other encryption is basically impossible to block. Giganews offers SSL for their service.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
The campus I used to work at would allow torrent connections. However they also used a packet shaper appliance to throttle torrent traffic down to 20KB/s for the entire campus.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I remember getting a letter from the IT at my school referring to a letter from the MPAA asking me to stop running a server on mIRC. I stopped serving after that. The downloading continued!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: legoman666

anything with user selectable ports + SSL/other encryption is basically impossible to block. Giganews offers SSL for their service.

Most newsgroups providers now offer SSL though there is a select few who still do not.

Aug 25, 2004
I don't use BT for music, I get mine for free (LEGALLY) from Ruckus.
I don't use BT for movies, I get mine from Netflix and friends.
I choose not to answer about any other type of media.

Originally posted by: mesthead21
why are there two threads about torrents?

Oh noes! Remember the first rule!

first rule about bitorrent? what the hell are you talking about kid?

He's the ATOT Village Idiot?. Ignore him.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

how would that have gotten around ports that are straint up turned off on the routers, just send it all over the HTTP port?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Just get out of the dorms and move into an apartment. Odds are it will be cheaper that way too. If you can't do that then don't be a tard and get into serious trouble over downloading stuff and risking your degree. Make some friends who live off of campus and ask them to get something for you if you really want it. Odds are, they might want it too.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003

how would that have gotten around ports that are straint up turned off on the routers, just send it all over the HTTP port?

find one that isn't? they can't close all ports besides 80.

mesthead21

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2004
Meh, i used torrents occasionally during Freshman year....

it was slow during the day when a lot of people were on. One time i do remember getting about 500 kb/s when a new cd came out.. I got afraid and stopped

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

No, but we can inspect all traffic even if it's encrypted and it doesn't matter what port it is.

Feb 19, 2001
Someone who got busted had an IP address like 15 #s away from mine. I figure it was someone upstairs. No, I never torrented in the dorms, but i've done it plenty of times on campus using campus wireless. There was once we were waiting for people to come out of an exam, and I watched the 24 season finale while waiting.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07

No, but we can inspect all traffic even if it's encrypted and it doesn't matter what port it is.

so someone trying to use a banking site or something else that is secure would also be blocked? Here's a more foolproof solution: take an axe and cut the wires.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

so someone trying to use a banking site or something else that is secure would also be blocked? Here's a more foolproof solution: take an axe and cut the wires.

It's a little more complicated than that. Legitimate HTTPS traffic would be fine, something using SSL that wasn't HTTPS would not. Or just permited and logged and flagged as trying to circumvent security.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005

It's a little more complicated than that. Legitimate HTTPS traffic would be fine, something using SSL that wasn't HTTPS would not. Or just permited and logged and flagged as trying to circumvent security.

If someone really wanted to bypass security, they would just do an encrypted VPN and that would be that. However, it would be pretty obvious what you would be doing when you use up 100+ GB a month.