Any of you torrent at your campus?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: mesthead21
why are there two threads about torrents?

because one person made the original thread and then someone else was like "wow, i should ask the same question, but switch it up a bit"

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: mesthead21
why are there two threads about torrents?

because one person made the original thread and then someone else was like "wow, i should ask the same question, but switch it up a bit"

It's the ATOT way.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
They monitor traffic here at USF; I've heard from friends that they WILL send you cease/desist letters.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I have on occasion during the middle of a class, but the speeds were often too slow (they either limited it, or there were too many on the network) to download anything bigger than a couple hundred megabytes in a reasonable time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i (and 90% of the other students) used napster at the tech school i went to back in 98. I'm not even sure if torrents were around then. if they were, they weren't popular because I never heard of them back then.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Once I got Tor working, I fired up a torrent in my dorm room. I let it go as fast as it wanted with unlimited connections. I had so many simultaneous connections, it crashed the router serving me and the 4 floors above me. I mainly use *** (1st rule is you don't talk about it). must faster anyway.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: legoman666
Once I got Tor working, I fired up a torrent in my dorm room. I let it go as fast as it wanted with unlimited connections. It crashed the router serving me and the 4 floors above me. I mainly use *** (1st rule is you don't talk about it). must faster anyway.

:laugh:

MOAR USENET?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah, I used it in the dorms when I lived there for a year. Fast downloads. :D

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Braznor
?

Are you an active employee of the RIAA or under contract with the RIAA attempting to subvert information from people knowing that you're not subject to entrapment laws?

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: legoman666
Once I got Tor working, I fired up a torrent in my dorm room. I let it go as fast as it wanted with unlimited connections. It crashed the router serving me and the 4 floors above me. I mainly use *** (1st rule is you don't talk about it). must faster anyway.

:laugh:

MOAR USENET?

lol, it crashed twice before I realized it was me doing it. I fired up the torrent and once it really got going 20 minutes later, internet went kaput on the whole floor. Once it was restarted and going fast again, internet died again. Closing torrent app = no moar crash.

I signed up for giganews shortly after that. whooooosh.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Anubis
couldent at my school when i was in college im sure you still cant, they blocked the ports

Thats why you use either encryption with BT if that is to slow then usenet with SSL to get around the blocked ports. They can't block all ports.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: pcslookout
Originally posted by: Anubis
couldent at my school when i was in college im sure you still cant, they blocked the ports

Thats why you use either encryption with BT if that is to slow then usenet with SSL to get around the blocked ports. They can't block all ports.

99% of people dont care that much, newsgroups didnt work IIRC either, i know IRC was blocked you couldent even log on

all downloads were capped at 450K/s anyway to external sites,

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Nah, too dangerous. (Not many people get caught, but the penalty is effectively expulsion). I just use rapidshare/megaupload/file hosting via tor. Slow, but secure.

If it's legal, I obviously have no problem downloading via torrents.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Torrents didn't exist when I was on Campus...
same here. i do remember obtaining a list of local BBSs though, and using my roommate's computer to 'nef' on them :p