Any of you guys in IT

pood

May 10, 2005
So, for all you guys in IT, whats the best way to get your foot in the door.

I'd like to do network admin, but it seems having a LPIC or MCSE just won't cut it, all seems like they need some experience.

I've got web developing skillz, mainly html, css, some php, and learning RoR.

What would you say is the best way?

I'm thinking of doing a year or 2 of desktop support/helpdesk while i work on my certificates.

Sasiki

Oct 18, 2004
I started out in a local computer shop. Worked there for a few years, parted with the IT industry for a couple years, and then was hired as the network admin by a local wholesale nursery. For the basics, just call the local shops in your area and see if any are hiring. I have no certs, no schooling, no nothing. Just several years experience.

pood

May 10, 2005
I mean, i have years or a decade worth of PC tech type experience, but nothing professionally, even these Help desk want 1 year experience wtf, and I don't want to drop to $10/hr for some super entry job.

just went and submitted my resume to all the recruiters in town, hopefully i can get some contracts that way. some are way out of my league, but doesn't hurt right?

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Sasiki
I started out in a local computer shop. Worked there for a few years, parted with the IT industry for a couple years, and then was hired as the network admin by a local wholesale nursery. For the basics, just call the local shops in your area and see if any are hiring. I have no certs, no schooling, no nothing. Just several years experience.

How my boss got his start. Got some offers for some pretty big pay (close to 100k) just recently, which is impressive given no real certs.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Network admin, sysadmin, network engineer, systems engineer. What exactly do you want to do, specifically?

At my company the network admins are the people who support the network equipment and uptime of all data and voice lines. They don't touch PC's or servers. They write no code. The only people they deal with are telcos and field service folks and systems administrators (like me). They live and breath, eat sleep and shit routers and switches and all the other assorted hardware necessary to keep our WAN alive.

You mention html and php. To me that has nothing to do with being a network admin.

FWIW I'm currently a systems administrator / field service tech, but I've worked in IT for 10 years and have experience in several areas. If you refine your question a bit I might be of a little more help.