Any of these games run well on my old system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: garkon
Slitherydee, i'd think your system should run GTA4 just fine, with decent settings even. Have you gone into the menus and disabled the "always record replay" setting?(or something which sounds similar). I got a huge boost in fps from that setting being disabled.

edit: i'm on a c2d e6600, 6 gigs of ram(only 3 utilized by vista), gtx260. After switching the setting it went from unplayable to fluid.

what do you mean "only 3 utilized by vista". if you are using a 32 bit os then Vista has nothing to do with it and you should not have installed that much ram.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: garkon
Slitherydee, i'd think your system should run GTA4 just fine, with decent settings even. Have you gone into the menus and disabled the "always record replay" setting?(or something which sounds similar). I got a huge boost in fps from that setting being disabled.

edit: i'm on a c2d e6600, 6 gigs of ram(only 3 utilized by vista), gtx260. After switching the setting it went from unplayable to fluid.

That's one setting I don't think I've messed with.

I'll try it when I get home. Thanks. :D

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005
I am curious, is everyone saying that GTA 4 will run poorly even with Patch #2 or are these claims made based on an unpatched game or with just Patch #1?

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: ixelion
I am curious, is everyone saying that GTA 4 will run poorly even with Patch #2 or are these claims made based on an unpatched game or with just Patch #1?

I bought GTA4 through steam so it's supposed to be up to date all the time. I don't think I even owned GTA4 when the first patch was released. Realistically there might be a little lag between the release of a patch and its availability on steam, but in any case the latest patch news on steam refers to patch 1 and lists the things this latest patch supposedly fixed from it, so I'm assuming I have patch #2. There was a marked improvement with the latest patch, but performance is still not very good. I noticed that the suggestion garkon gave me above was disabled by default after the last patch as well. That could be responsible for much of the perceived performance increase.