Any of guys ever take a laptop into a restaurant?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I've seen people take books or newspapers into a restaurant when they're out alone, usually people traveling. Have you ever seen anybody take a laptop into a restaurant with them?

Last edited:

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i don't go to sit-down restaurants alone

fast food places maybe, like yesterday when i had a loner lunch @ KFC :(

at least big crunches are my friends :'(

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Sure, all the time. I saw several people with laptops at Panera just yesterday.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I took my laptop into a restaurant that I did some work for, but only because I was getting free beer and food. :p

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I won't hesitate to eat at a sit-down restaurant by myself if I am on business travel. I usually just read the news or digg or something on my iPhone. I'm not there long enough to warrant bringing my laptop in with me.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Yes, when I'm traveling. I check/write e-mail or browse the web while I'm waiting for my food.

Also, I sit there smugly and soak in all of the jealousy and admiration, because I'm using a Macbook (company-issued, I didn't pay for it!)

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I don't, just because I would rather read and usually take a book, but I don't see a problem with it if you are dining on your won. As long as you're not gaming and raging out loud, disturbing the other patrons.

KT

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Hell I frequently take a X200 into a bar. It's teeny tiny and easy to throw down and read web articles while grabbing something to eat and a quick drink or two.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Did it once while traveling for work at the Vancouver Hooters while watching the Patriots play on MNF. Stood out as a non-local and got the attention of one of the waitresses who gave me her number and went out with afterwards.

Good times...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't, just because I would rather read and usually take a book, but I don't see a problem with it if you are dining on your won. As long as you're not gaming and raging out loud, disturbing the other patrons.

KT

I use mine to read :p

Apr 12, 2010
I've contemplated on it several times. But I usually decide not to, I don't want to appear any more anti-social than I am. Since I spend a few hours sitting in a bar, I usually get my drinks in the first hour or 2 then just drink water & sober up my last hour or 2. If anything I take magazines or school books in to read while drinking to catch up when I'm behind.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Did it once while traveling for work at the Vancouver Hooters while watching the Patriots play on MNF. Stood out as a non-local and got the attention of one of the waitresses who gave me her number and went out with afterwards.
and then you fucked her, right?

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
when i'm out on business, hell yeah, especially if the company is paying for my meal. in fact i'd rate the food on the spot on yelp.com

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
I've seen people take books or newspapers into a restaurant when they're out alone, usually people traveling. Have you ever seen anybody take a laptop into a restaurant with them?

I've never done it. When I go into a restaurant my intent is to savor, and eat the food and also enjoy the social conditions.

If I'm alone then I eat and finish quicker.

I've seen others do it but they usually look like they are professional or deal with something, probably real time stocks. Not everyone has/can afford mobile broadband I guess.

Would anyone use a laptop without the internet in a restaurant?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I've never done it. When I go into a restaurant my intent is to savor, and eat the food and also enjoy the social conditions.

If I'm alone then I eat and finish quicker.

I've seen others do it but they usually look like they are professional or deal with something, probably real time stocks. Not everyone has/can afford mobile broadband I guess.

Would anyone use a laptop without the internet in a restaurant?

I've seen lots of sit-down restaurants with wifi lately. Real restaurants with waiters and bars, not just the fast food places.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
I take my laptop with me to Chipotle sometimes so I can look review documents, etc while on lunch.