Any OC'd i5's out there yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
I would tell you to up QPI voltage but the i5 doesn't have it. lol 1.36v should be plenty for the CPU to be stable at 4.0. It is the chipset or bus voltage that needs to be upped if it isn't stable now.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You say you are running it with SLI. Does it show both PCI express lanes as 8x instead of 16x?

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
Anand only got the 750 to 3.9, so you might not get 4.0 stable. You can try with 1.41v. I didn't see any mention of other voltage settings yet. I don't like the part about BCLK needing to be in 33Mhz multiples so your video card doesn't crash. If that is true.

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Sorry folks fell asleep on this. Actual that weird thing called life stepped in and I have not been able to find a cooler for this thing. I really think heat is my enemy at this point. It is getting into the 80's on a couple cores at 4.0ghz.

And on the SLI I have not checked to see if it is showing 8 or 16. Noob question here but could you point me in the direction of where to look.

As for the Voltages no I have barely touched any of the others and highest I went with CPUvoltage was 1.36. I just didn't want to push the temps too hard on an improperly cooled CPU. I didn't get to Micro Center the last too days but plan on going tomorrow I am going to check out a couple of the built on kits like Xigmatec's and see if I can make it work for this CPU. Looked like it just had holes for 775 and 1366 so I should be able to get the dremel out and make em into slots since the 1156 is in between the two.

I will definitely keep you guys updated on this little project.

Also the rest of the parts actually meant for this PC show up tomorrow. So will be putting the permanent HD in and what not.

Thanks for the interest and input everybody.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Thanks Mod7! Very cool to see this shaping up. That's impressive that it's stable with those temps, indeed you are probably temp-limited at this point. Given that you know that, I'd heartily recommend backing off to stock speeds until you get the cooling sorted. It takes a decent amount of downpressure combined with a dead-flat fitment to get good low temps, and an improvised cooling system really shouldn't be trusted for long when you're hitting 80c .. that's getting into an area that I just don't feel comfortable with. Some GPUs can apparently take it, but personally if I saw my CPU at 80c, I'd freak out and pull the plug to find out what the hell was wrong. I consider 60c to be a bit on the high side for almost any CPU, with ideals being the 30s and 40s obviously on air cooling.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Shaq
Anand only got the 750 to 3.9, so you might not get 4.0 stable. You can try with 1.41v. I didn't see any mention of other voltage settings yet. I don't like the part about BCLK needing to be in 33Mhz multiples so your video card doesn't crash. If that is true.

I am not sure this is true. Overclocking by Neoseeker

Core i5 750

* Baseclock : 180 MHz (133 base + 47)
* Clock multiplier : 20x
* Processor clock : 3600 MHz
* Memory clock : 1440 MHz
* Processor voltage : 1.3125V
* Uncore voltage : 1.29V

Core i7 870

* Baseclock : 182 MHz (133 base + 49)
* Clock multiplier : 22x
* Processor clock : 4004 MHz
* Memory clock : 1456 MHz
* Processor voltage : 1.3375V
* Uncore voltage : 1.30V

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Here is a little summary for those that are just catching on to this thread. Been trying to Overclock my new I5 with a Vendetta2 very badly mounted. Picture up about above basically phone books for pressure on CPU. Here are the clocks I got.

3.5 ghz is 100% stable

3.8 ghz seems stable but temps are too high for my comfort to confirm

All attempts after 3.8 I was just seeing if I could boot and run prime and what not till it would not boot anymore which was just past 4.0

4.0 Boots and all that jazz but not stable at all. Was able to run prime95 but Temps shot straight up into the 80's so shut her down.

Update for those that have been following. Back on stock cooler for time being. Burning in at stock speed tonight. Going to go for a small overclock tomorrow to burn in again. Micro Center may or may not have a fan for me tomorrow. If not ordering a Cooler Master Just want to test it out and is one of the 2 decent ones that I know work with this CPU. Oh need to make sure it fits too this case has a MASSIVE side cover fan.

I will post more when I have some updates. Once I reach a point that I can't make this thing stable with good temps I will be turning to you wiz's for advice.

Dominic

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Damned if I do, Damned if I don't. I cannot win with this build. FINALLY got an aftermarket cooler for this thing.........now the side cover doesn't fit. Thing has a helicopter fan in it. Well back to the over clocking.

Oh Temps dropped 15+ degrees at idle. So yea there cooler is especially crap this time around.

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
My new setup is:
i5-750
Gigabyte P55-UD3R
A-Data cheap 4GB DDR3 13333
Scythe Ninja2

Right now I'm testing leaving turbo mode enabled as that seems like a good thing to leave on however I'm running into a few odd issues with it. It's currently running prime95 at 175Mhz BCLK at a 21x multiplier. Turbo mode on this board seems to kick up the multiplier by 1 (default for the i5-750 is 20x) and does not do the different levels for when 1-3 cores are active. It does drop the chip down to the 9x multiplier when idle. Turbo works fine at stock clocks however. Temps under sustained load show low 80s in RealTemp. CPUID's TMonitor is a great app as it seems to give constantly updated correct speeds whereas cpu-z doesn't update nearly as often. Also the board/RAM doesn't seem to boot when you select the 6x multiplier for the RAM though I need more time to play with it.

Vtt 1.27
Vcore 1.3875
DRAM 1.58 (8x mult, 1400Mhz currently)

Core3 seems to die in p95 after a while so my guess is 3.7Ghz is around the max this chip will do but of course here's hoping it's got more in it. :)

Gaidin

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Hey another player WOOT. Now that I have a decent cooler I have been getting down to the nitty gritty. Here is where I am at.

Last night I turned my multiplier down to x10 @ 180 mhz because I was fairly sure that was a stable clock. Memory 3x. So just testing QPI. Bumped it up in 5 mhz increments. Running LinX 20 cycles.

• 180 Passed
    185 failed<2mins
    Upped VTT 50mv
    185-195 Passed
    200 instant BSOD

Reset Cpu multi to 20 w/ turbo off. Left VTT@1.154 and memory @ 3xmulti (running 1333 so I know I won't hit a wall there) Manually set Vcore @ stock 1.230. Testing same as before.

20x180=BSOD

Found that Vcore had a huge Vdroop. Set at 1.2300, voltage in CPUz ~1.2200@idle and ~1.0600 under load.

Raised Vcore to 1.400 in BIOS. Showed 1.384 in CPUZ@idle and 1.304 under load.

• 20x180= Passed
    20x185= didn't write it down so probably passed
    20x190= Failed

Okay at this points temps are getting a little high and I was had been pondering about these voltage drops. I had load line enabled this whole time as in the past I had found it a great tool, but I was wondering know is my CPU's vdroop just that bad or is load line work differently on this board/cpu.

So I disable Load line (sorry can't remember the full name). I left the voltage the same and retested. Shockingly it worked the opposite as I am used to and under load the voltage went up under load. It was some what over 1.4 while the idle was still the same. At this point I was tired and it was like 2 a.m.

I am going to get back at this hopefully later today. I am trying to get as much info as I can while I do this. I know there will be people looking.

Honestly I would be very happy running at 3.6 with turbo enabled. This would be over 40% more processor for free :D
Dominic

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Core3 seems to die in p95 after a while so my guess is 3.7Ghz is around the max this chip will do but of course here's hoping it's got more in it. :)

Gaidin

This is interesting I was having the same core fail actually I think it was Core2 the first night of overclocking it was that core repeatedly.

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
Both of you may need to go over 1.4v under load to get 4.0 stable. That's what I need for my 920 C0 to get 3.9. 4.0 requires 1.45v under load so I leave it at 3.9.

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Yea I think I have hit a wall at 3.7ghz. Anything higher and the temps are very high more than I am comfortable with. What are quote on quote safe temps with the i7's? I assume these would basically imply for i5.

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
I too seem to have maxxed out my cooling and/or the CPU with the following settings:
load line calibration enabled
turbo on
183Mhz w/21x multiplier for 3.82Ghz
8x RAM multiplier, RAM at 1464Mhz
Vtt 1.27V (may be able to go lower)
Vcore 1.35625, under load 1.360
DRAM 1.58V

Cranking up the Vcore a bit more lets it get stable a bit higher but the heat is too much.

With LLC enabled (not Intel recommended) temps do seem higher under load with the higher voltage. It lets me push the cpu farther at a lower base voltage. With LLC disabled I've had the Vcore at 1.4V. Either way it's a little too much heat for the lower flow fans in the case I think. The system has seemed completely stable however, allowing Left4Dead to run while p95 is going.

Core #2 (3rd core) is the one that routinely fails first and oddly always has the lowest temp reading in RealTemp by a few degrees.

I also think the Gigabyte board running the i5-750 at 21x in turbo mode all the time is some weird BIOS quirk but I'm not complaining since I have standard RAM in it. For 24/7 stability it'll probably need to run closer to 3.7-3.8Ghz.

Will continue to slowly back off the settings over the weekend and maybe a BIOS update but I'm happy about the ~40% overclock and the turbo mode power savings (gotta actually measure that soon).

Gaidin

Jul 3, 2009
Thanks for all the detailed info on your experiences. I'm especially curious about the differences between clocking w/ turbo left on versus off. I'm debating hoping down to the Microcenter here in LA/OC to grab a p55 750/860 combo but the mobo/RAM choices are killing me, especially seeing how much prices for RAM have gone up over the last 6 weeks. If I do take the plunge I'll be sure to post here as well.

Edit - wanted to add that I've been holding out on building a p55 setup because I've been waiting on Corsair to begin selling 1156 brackets for their h50 system. According to their forums, the brackets should be released any day now.

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Originally posted by: coconutboy
Thanks for all the detailed info on your experiences. I'm especially curious about the differences between clocking w/ turbo left on versus off. I'm debating hoping down to the Microcenter here in LA/OC to grab a p55 750/860 combo but the mobo/RAM choices are killing me, especially seeing how much prices for RAM have gone up over the last 6 weeks. If I do take the plunge I'll be sure to post here as well.

Thanks I am just glad I finally was able to contribute a little to all those who have helped me along my way.

As far as I can tell about Turbo mode I am having the same results as Gaidin. When I boot up and overclocked it gives me a 21 multiplier. Which with it turned on you can select 21 in the bios. Non of the testing I have done has changed that. It seems to be locked @ 21 no matter the load or app I throw at it.

Originally posted by: coconutboy
Edit - wanted to add that I've been holding out on building a p55 setup because I've been waiting on Corsair to begin selling 1156 brackets for their h50 system. According to their forums, the brackets should be released any day now.

I feel ya hear I am in desperate need of some of these guys to come out with 1156 brackets. As it stands right now I can't keep this setup in the case it is in. Fan doesn't clear fan on side cover and the fan on the side cover is definitely part of this case. Would link it but I am too lazy to look it up right now.

If I can find time in the next few days once I have my final OC I will post my results of a multitude of test's

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
Ok so end of weekend update:
Turbo on
LLC disabled (per Intel's spec)
scythe sflex fan used now instead of default one, reattached heatsink in process (stupid push clips!)
Vtt 1.25V
Vcore 1.39375V (under load it drops to 1.296-1.312V with LLC off)
DRAM 1.58V, 8x multiplier, 1424Mhz
BCLK 178Mhz, 3738Mhz under load (178*21), 1602Mhz (178*9) idle
QPI is at the lower ratio (32x?)
~221W pulled from wall at load, ~140W at idle (i5-750, p55-ud3r, 2x2GB, 8800gt, 1 ssd, 1 hd, dvdrw, old audigy2 pci, card reader, 3x120mm fans, Seasonsic s12-500)

Temps seem to hit about mid 70s tops usually at the 67-72 range which is lower than the stock heatsink at stock speeds from what I can remember according to RealTemp. With LLC enabled Vcore could be lower but under load the system pulled another 10-25W. To get the system into the 3.85Ghz range it took more voltage and temps got too high. I ran into walls somewhere between 182-185Mhz. The DRAM voltage may be able to drop, will test when I've got more time. It needs extended testing (and more l4d :)) but p95's run for over an hour at these settings as a quick test.

Gaidin

Edit:Mod7PCs, are you using CPUID's TMonitor? CPU-Z didn't seem to pick up the varying speeds that TMonitor shows.

Jul 3, 2009
Hope this doesn't come off like a sales ad, but I just wanted to add that microcenter has dropped their price on the i5 750 to $160 for anyone thinking of jumping into a p55 setup. Downside is it's for walk-in customers only. =/ Here's a couple of the other notable prices I've been watching-

microcenter
$230 i7 860
$200 i7 920
$160 i5 750

$150 (after MIR) MSI p55-gd65 socket 1156 mobo

newegg
$170 ASRock x58 extreme mobo (now in stock and getting good comments/reviews)
$100-150 numerous p55 mobos for all types of systems including SLI/Xfire, noob/auto OCing etc.

The low cost of the i5 750+mobo is almost a done deal for my g/f's next gaming box while I'll go 920 and the ASRock for my box. Both systems mildly oc'd. We'll go cheap for the vid cards, prolly ATI 4850s to save $$ for the upcoming new goodies from ATI/Nvidia.

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Hello All,

Just a little update. Which will never be as informative as Gaidin ;). By the way Gaidin how are you reading your wattage at the wall? And no I am not using CPUID's Tmonitor will have to check it out.

First of I have to say the Core i5 machine is much snappier than my E8400@4.0ghz. I believe this is the first machine I have built since my E8400 that was noticably faster than my day to day/gaming machine.

Secondly I have chose my current settings of:

Vcore: 1.276 (1.288[idle]/1.312[load])
Vtt: 1.42
Dram: 1.50
BCLK: 175x20 With turbo on which nets 3.675
QPI: at highest setting (which on my board is 18)

I will get solid numbers for you all a little later it is currently stress testing :p. I will also check out CPUID's monitor Gaidin.

So this is the OC I have settled on. I could go higher but I did not like the temps. Also due to my fan restrictions I am actually going to have to turn to a smaller fan to close up my case finally. So at this point I am just trying to get my Voltages as low as I can with this fan on and cross my fingers it is enough for the other fan.

I will work on an update soon sadly like many of us this is just a pet project on the side.

Cheers
Dominic

Edit: Interesting find, adjusted Vcore from1.276 to 1.270. With this adjustment turbo would turn of under max load. So I think that 1.276 will be my setting :). Time to work on the VTT then Memory timings. That will be that till I get a better fan that fits the case.

Oh and Temps are low 30's at Idle and mid 70's with LinX. Prime95 overnighter coming up next.

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
I think he said Scythe Ninja2. He mentions it on page 1 or 2 when ever it was he joined in on the thread.

And update. I have been running Prime95 for atleast 6 hours with out a hickup running low to mid 60's for temps I am very happy. Running at my above specs ran out of time for testing but it is a clock of almost 3.7ghz and Memory at 1400.

Mod7PCs

Sep 6, 2009
Originally posted by: kranky
Appreciate your very complete updates.

Thanks and love the sig that is great.

So......this thing is running so good now that the LS5 has set in and I am sure everything has had a nice burn in this past week......I just don't think I can put the lid on this thing contrary to what I have said.

Soooooo back to tweaking like always will be back with updates.

Think I will see what I can squeeze out of this till my video cards come for my 920 build or I steal the cards from this one.

Cheers