Any noticible difference going from E8500 to Core i7 920?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: tim924
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
The i7 is dissapointing and with a crappy name as well. Sorry but it is just underwhelming for all the hype it got. Hopefully AMD can push Intel a bit.

It's dissapointing because you dont have it i guess,dont put down a platform while it's shown improvements over the current generation,it may not satisfy gamers but it's not like the computer market revolves around gaming only,so those dont see the benefits are usually ones see gaming as their life,and neglect the fact that computer itself didnt exist just for gaming,for that you may as well end up with a $299-399 PS3/Xbox which is more bang for the bucks for you.

Rewind the clock back a year and the nehalem was Jesus Christ reborn. Now it's just a small improvment over the Core2 imho. There's nothing special about it.

tim924

Oct 8, 2008
Do you actually know the actual advantage of i7 over core 2?People dont "see" much improvements because: 1.Those people mainly focus on the gaming aspects,in other words anything other than gaming is not meant to be improvements for those people
2.Current software is up to a point that it's in transition to develop toward multithreaded directions(including microsoft's windows),which means it's not the improvements werent there in the first place,it's simply software bottlenecks the processor's actual potenial,similar example would be you wont see much difference in gaming with single gpu set-up with i7,but the more complex puts in there which is multiple-gpu set-up in this case,suddenly the jumps in performance sky rocks to a different level.
To conclude my point,i7's advantage is a huge step-up from core 2 just like core 2 did to pentium,but since the software side of world is the limiting factor here,the improvement is always there just waiting for the more utilized software to bring out i7's potenial.(which microsoft is working it out with upcoming windows 7 now)

MarchTheMonth

Nov 16, 2004
I wouldn't call myself primarily a gamer, I'd probably refer to myself as a high-end computer enthusiast. I game, I browse the internet, I do xvid encoding, I do virtualization. There's a lot a do but I wouldn't go so far as to say I do one thing specifically, so I need a CPU (and a platform) that will carry all my needs, and to me, Nehalem does that. That's why I waited for 2 years =)