Any new '09 Subaru Forester owners on here?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Looks like my '99 Tahoe with 155k miles on it is on it's last leg now with a crack in it's block and the repairs costing more than it's worth.

I've been planning on getting the new Forester since I heard about it awhile back. I've taken it for a test drive 2 times now and it seems like the best overall pick for me and my wants and needs.

I'm just wondering if there's anything for any owners that's become known after owning it that you wished you knew before hand.

Those little things are the things that can drive you nuts on a vehicle you plan on keeping for 10 plus years like I like to do.

A few examples of this would be with my current Tahoe, the AC vents annoy the crap out of me. You can't move them in a spot that doesn't blow on you if you're the front passenger and you can't close off vents, this is a big annoyance when you take a long road trip.

The back windows only go down about 1/4 of the way, this is simply due to poor design and the wheel well being in the way.

So I'm looking for anything big or small that you love or hate about it so I can hopefully make a better overall informed decision before I pull the trigger on it.

FWIW I'm looking at the "premium" package and adding in the aux input for the radio if that's not included.

Update: 10/28/08
Got a 2009 Forester tonight.

It has the premium and all weather packages.

It's a silver exterior color with black/charcoal interior.

It's exactly what I wanted and at invoice to.

They gave me $3k for my old and beat Tahoe which was what really made me go with this dealer over the others in town.

I only drove it home really besides the test drive on this specific one so hard to give much of any impression that differs from my test drives to date.

I'm going to be heading down to FL any day now and will be taking this though, so I'll be able to really find out quick what the pro's and cons of it are.

:beer: for me! :D

This is my first brand new vehicle besides my motorcycle so I'm pretty happy right now.

When I calculated what I spent in gas on my Tahoe versus what this will cost for the same miles per month it actually evens out, which is really nice.

Update: 12/26/08

I've had the Forester now for 2 months and have put 4,600 miles on it so far.

I did 1 looong 10 hour each way trip to FL and have done a lot of daily commuting and some light off roading as well.

Here's my opinions, praises, and gripes to date.

I'll start with the cons.

There are only a few cons/gripes I have so far and they're mostly minor.

The mirrors in the sun visors have no lights. To me, a non-issue but my wife doesn't like that. Also there is no light in the glove box and there are no reading lights for the back seat passengers.

Also the visor has no extender in it to block the sun when it's at that perfectly annoying spot directly to your left. Having had this feature in my last vehicle, this one really bugs me. I need to find some aftermarket solution for this.

Also for the back seat passengers, there are no handles to help with getting in or out of the Forester and as a result people tend to grab for the headrest of the front seats for assistance and end up yanking them all the way up. It's enough to concern me that one day someone is going to snap my headrest off.

The placement of the emergency brake is a bit bothersome for long trips as my knee/leg tends to rest right up against it, but this might not be an issue for someone that's not as tall as I am (I'm 6'3').

Really that's it for gripes.

The pros.

I think the fit and finish is top notch, though I was a bit disappointed to realize that the dash isn't soft touch but just made to look like it, it does blend perfectly with the parts of the car that are soft touch though, such as the steering wheel.

The sun roof, holy hell I've never seen a sun roof so large in a vehicle before, this thing is huge! The only downside is it does cause a bit of wind noise, which isn't to bothersome if the cover is closed, but when it's slid back, it's pretty noticeable.

The lights are clear and bright, it's a huge improvement on my last vehicle, my low beams seem as bright as my highs did on my Tahoe and my highs seem to turn night into day. I was a bit surprised that none of the tail lights are LED, I could have sworn I read something before about all tail lights becoming LED before some year, but maybe I'm thinking of something else. This doesn't bother me though and is probably a good thing since replacements will likely be less expensive.

The rear cargo area is well thought out. I have the side cargo nets which really come in handy for placing items such as grocery bags that have items in them that you don't want to have rolling all around, like 2 liters of soda. There are also bag hooks just above the cargo nets that you can latch the bags onto, this also comes in very handy. On the left side there is a 12v outlet, which I haven't had a need for to date, but I'm sure would be very nice to have for things like tailgating or camping.

Under the rear cargo area mat I have (I think an upgraded) storage area that sits above the spare tire, this also is very well thought out use of space. I use it to store things like paper towels, window cleaner, jumper cables and a 12v tire pump.

The seats are cloth, but not cheap feeling in any way. They're tightly woven with some kind of nylon like material that looks like it'll repel stains for years to come.

I opted for the rubber mats, which are very handy with the red Georgia clay that is around here and it was well worth the extra $40.

I also got a "ipod" tray for the center console/armrest area that's basically just a tray that an MP3 player (in my case my iphone) can sit in while being plugged into the aux input jack that's located below it in the center console. It's a bit more of form over function though since it does a nice job of keeping your device hooked up into the aux input and charged with the 12v outlet that's down there also but it's really a pain in the ass to change tracks since I have to bend my arm in a awkward position just to reach it. To me it'd have made more sense to have the aux input somewhere up front below the radio since it's much easier for me to just reach in front of me while driving in order to change a track.

MPG:

I've kept a close eye on my mpg as this was a pretty large factor in getting this and getting rid of my Tahoe. While it's good, it's not as great as I hoped for.

I do mostly city driving, and I get a decent 22MPG over all with that, which is OK, but I would have really been happier if I was getting 25MPG.

As for highway, I was kind of surprised that at anything over 75MPH is when the Forester gets the worst MPG. On my long trip down to FL, I was getting closer to 18MPG when I was going above 80MPH, which hurts when you're driving 1,200 miles round trip.

I once filled up on a trip over to TN from GA and reset my tripometer, which in turn resets the built in MPG computer, I was on back roads that went for a long time with no stops or traffic and was able to cruise at a steady 55mph for an extended period of time. In this one situation I was averaging up to 33MPG. But as soon as I got to an area where I had to stop and then start back up again it killed that.

Light off roading:

I took the Forester on a gravel road that's pretty worn out by my house and pushed it a bit just to see how it'd feel with a lose surface and the AWD and I must say, it felt very competent. I did get it lose enough to flash the "loss of traction" light, which was fun.

Also, it's been raining a lot here lately so I've screwed around a bit with seeing how it'd handle the wet conditions. I was at a stop at an incline the other day and when I had a clearing, I gunned it a bit just to see if I could break lose the tires at all and found it interesting that the front tires did spin out just for a second before the rears kicked in more and I took off. This makes me wonder if this AWD system, like many others tends to really be more of a FWD that kicks in the rears when needed.

But overall I am still very happy with my purchase. I feel pretty comfortable also that this will be a vehicle that will last me for many miles and years (hopefully better than my Tahoe).

With a baby on the way also, I feel that it's a safe vehicle and feel assured with it's more advanced standard safety features like the AWD, 4 wheel disc anti lock brakes and full front and side airbags.

Edit: 12/26/08

One correction, my rear seats do have handles above the doors but I guess it'd be more helpful to rear passengers if it were in front and above them instead of more directly above where their shoulder would be if they're sitting back.

I also forgot to mention one more pro, at least in the Premium and above models, the rear seats can recline, which helps the comfort level of the rear seat passengers.

CptCrunch

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2005
i've seen these and driven one, and they are very nice vehicles. I can't really complain about anything. You might consider renting one for a weekend, drive the crap out of it, and see if you find anything annoying during your time with it.

Just a few questions to consider: Do you like the acceleration on the premium model? Have you driven the turbo charged model? Ground clearance enough? Tow anything?

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Did you take one on the highway and test out the cruise and automatic, if applicable. I love my '01 Mazda Tribute, but the way the cruise and automatic work really irks me. I take enough long trips that it might have been a deal breaker had I known about it before buying it. The cruise takes too long to initiate while going up a big hill for example. Then the auto down shifts way too easily so that I'll be in 2nd gear at 70 mph going up a hill. Then it stays in that low gear going down part of the hill, so my cruise jumps to 5-7 mph faster than what it's set at. It's really annoying to have to baby-sit the cruise to get the car to do what I want. I could go up the same hill in the top gear of my '92 Mercury Cougar and could easily accelerate while doing so. The Tribute even has the 200hp V6 but downshifts about as quickly as my old 105hp 4-banger Ranger used to.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: kalrith
Did you take one on the highway and test out the cruise and automatic, if applicable. I love my '01 Mazda Tribute, but the way the cruise and automatic work really irks me. I take enough long trips that it might have been a deal breaker had I known about it before buying it. The cruise takes too long to initiate while going up a big hill for example. Then the auto down shifts way too easily so that I'll be in 2nd gear at 70 mph going up a hill. Then it stays in that low gear going down part of the hill, so my cruise jumps to 5-7 mph faster than what it's set at. It's really annoying to have to baby-sit the cruise to get the car to do what I want. I could go up the same hill in the top gear of my '92 Mercury Cougar and could easily accelerate while doing so. The Tribute even has the 200hp V6 but downshifts about as quickly as my old 105hp 4-banger Ranger used to.

I didn't take it on the highway.

I'll make sure to do that tonight when I go into battle with the local dealership to get the best price possible. I treat buying a car like a battle that I refuse to lose.

I think I got my leak on my Tahoe stopped or slowed down at least with some additive I put in my radiator. Hopefully this will buy me some time so I don't feel so pressured to have to buy right now.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: lokiju

I'll make sure to do that tonight when I go into battle with the local dealership to get the best price possible. I treat buying a car like a battle that I refuse to lose.

I think I got my leak on my Tahoe stopped or slowed down at least with some additive I put in my radiator. Hopefully this will buy me some time so I don't feel so pressured to have to buy right now.

Even if you feel pressured, don't let that come across to the salesman. Also, if you have more than one Subaru dealership around, you'll probably do best buy emailing them all for their best out-the-door price on the Forester you want. Then, email the one that offered a higher price and let them know the other dealership offered them a better deal and see if they'll beat it. Rinse and repeat. By pitting them against each other and doing it via email, you're more likely to get them to a lower price and avoid the salesman shenanagins that often go on at a dealership.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003

Even if you feel pressured, don't let that come across to the salesman. Also, if you have more than one Subaru dealership around, you'll probably do best buy emailing them all for their best out-the-door price on the Forester you want. Then, email the one that offered a higher price and let them know the other dealership offered them a better deal and see if they'll beat it. Rinse and repeat. By pitting them against each other and doing it via email, you're more likely to get them to a lower price and avoid the salesman shenanagins that often go on at a dealership.

Funny how you suggested this.

This is what I'm down now.

I went (in person) to one last night and am going to another tonight and will go to a 3rd the following night and use the dealers against each other.

I found a decent deal on one I liked last night but think I can do better...

bamx2

Oct 25, 2004
Not bashing them but from a repair standpoint your would better off with Honda or Toyota .

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Update bump.

Got it tonight!

Nice. What color & trim options and how much out the door?

My only real complaint...and this is really being nitpicky...is how they handled the exhaust. I've seen a few XT's running around with dual exhaust and that flat metal finish on the mufflers and pipes just ruins an otherwise clean looking car. If they had blacked it out or chose a little bit longer of a bumper cover to hide the mufflers it would look a lot better.

I know...it's a lame complaint and really does nothing to otherwise detract from a decent all around cute-ute.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: vi edit
Update bump.

Got it tonight!

Nice. What color & trim options and how much out the door?

My only real complaint...and this is really being nitpicky...is how they handled the exhaust. I've seen a few XT's running around with dual exhaust and that flat metal finish on the mufflers and pipes just ruins an otherwise clean looking car. If they had blacked it out or chose a little bit longer of a bumper cover to hide the mufflers it would look a lot better.

I know...it's a lame complaint and really does nothing to otherwise detract from a decent all around cute-ute.

Got the 2.5x premium with all weather package and a handful of other accessories for $23,700 plus tax, tag and title. I financed more though since I had about $1,400 negative equity when all was said and done.

I got what I think they call "Spark Silver Metallic" or something like that. It's basically a silver/grey color. The interior is "Off Black" trim.

This is pretty much it.

I paid about $400 over invoice.

One thing I can't figure out is I have the blue light up near where the sunroof control is that screams to me "bluetooth" but I can't for the life of me figure out what it actually is.

I have to go back tonight to the dealer to take out my old headunit from my Tahoe and am planning on asking them...

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Should be a solid little car. I think you won't regret the purchase, especially with the fuel savings.

Don't forget you have to replace tires in quads due to the full-time AWD system. Just keep them rotated and they should all wear evenly, anyway.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Originally posted by: bamx2
Not bashing them but from a repair standpoint your would better off with Honda or Toyota .

Toyota is going to have reliability problems with todays vehicles. So much growth and mass production is taking the tool. Thry were better when they were working to get on the top.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
The 09 Forester is a very nice car. Great in the snow and unpaved trails. I have the 05 Forester X, which is the base model. Very reliable little wagon so far.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002

Subaru's vehicles are exactly on par for repairs with Honda and Toyota. They have an excellent record.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: radioouman

Subaru's vehicles are exactly on par for repairs with Honda and Toyota. They have an excellent record.

Couple that with the excellent AWD and the fact that every new Subaru is a IIHS top safety pick, and you've got yourself a great vehicle.

The '09 Forester would be my pick of any vehicle under $30k right now (assuming I enjoyed the test drive).

spigot

Jan 18, 2004
Great update, interesting to get someone else's take on it.

I believe the 3rd brake light is LED.

I'm surprised at your mileage, but then again, I drive fairly light on the pedal and do a lot of decel fuel cutoff as I come up to lights and slow traffic.

If you got an automatic, then indeed it is more of a FWD most of the time. I believe the split is 90/10 until there's some slippage. Those with the manual transmission are 50/50 under no-slip conditions.

Have you read the part in the manual about car seats? Subaru recommends not using the center of the rear seat due to the seat cushion shape. It does sorta bulge upward. I was really disappointed when I read this.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: spigot
Great update, interesting to get someone else's take on it.

I believe the 3rd brake light is LED.

I'm surprised at your mileage, but then again, I drive fairly light on the pedal and do a lot of decel fuel cutoff as I come up to lights and slow traffic.

If you got an automatic, then indeed it is more of a FWD most of the time. I believe the split is 90/10 until there's some slippage. Those with the manual transmission are 50/50 under no-slip conditions.

Have you read the part in the manual about car seats? Subaru recommends not using the center of the rear seat due to the seat cushion shape. It does sorta bulge upward. I was really disappointed when I read this.

I didn't actually catch that in there but a few weeks ago I had 3 people in the back and the middle person did note that there was a bump in there.

I haven't sat there myself though.

But they do have a seatbelt so it seems strange that they'd try and suggest that it shouldn't be used.

I do have the automatic by the way.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Thanks again for the thoughts from a couple of Forester owners, I need to see how much lower I can get the dealer to go before I can get to the hard part of the decision making :)

<--- Looking at an 09 2.5X base model with auto

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
uh, no. The 4eat(auto trans) is NOT 90/10 torque split or anything close to that. If I can remember correctly its much more like 60/40, and the auto changes things around as it see's fit to. You spun the front wheels as the weight transferred to the rear wheels. And it does not sit in FWD until its needed to go AWD, it is AWD ALL of the time. The rear wheels are always being powered, the amount of power going to each section is the only part that changes. As I mentioned the 4eat moves the torque around a good bit as due to its design it can do this.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: DEMO24
uh, no. The 4eat(auto trans) is NOT 90/10 torque split or anything close to that. If I can remember correctly its much more like 60/40, and the auto changes things around as it see's fit to. You spun the front wheels as the weight transferred to the rear wheels. And it does not sit in FWD until its needed to go AWD, it is AWD ALL of the time. The rear wheels are always being powered, the amount of power going to each section is the only part that changes. As I mentioned the 4eat moves the torque around a good bit as due to its design it can do this.
The 4EAT used in older models was 90/10 until slip is detected. I'm sure it would be easy to change this, but don't know if they did or not. Got a link?

spigot

Jan 18, 2004
Well, this is a nice Subaru Australia document talking about both autos and manuals. It does mention the 50:50 for the manual, but doesn't give hard numbers for the autos.

Text

That doc can't be completely up to date because it doesn't show the Forester as having VDC in either manual or auto, which it has on both now.

It looks like the 60/40 might be correct for the 09, according to this Canadian dealer page. There's a lot of stuff out there about 90:10 too, but maybe that's an older system, or a different transmission..? This is my first Subaru, so much to learn about them.

I've also read that since the autos are electronic, they can vary torque split just based on the gear selector so you get different splits by using the '1' or '2'.