Any Moody Blues Fans here?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We saw them on the tour in 96, or maybe it was 94. It was at the gorge amphitheater at the Columbia River with the Spokane Symphony. Heck of a good time.
The conductor was this massive blond viking-looking dude with hair and beard all over the place, he was a good part of the entertainment :D

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
fuck youse kids...
aah.gif

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
This is them performing at probably their peak at the 1970 Isle of Wight concert. I missed this posting on Youtube a couple years back. If you're a fan especially of their early music this is well worth watching. Also the first part has a little history of the group. Enjoy.

Right to the first three songs.
Gypsy
Tuesday Afternoon
Never Comes The Day

The complete video

The link to the complete video has Mike Pinder describing how the "Mellotron" worked, I had no idea it had pre-recorded tape loops that were activated with each key-press, what an amazing invention for the day, the Moody Blues were the warmup band for the Beatles last UK live tour and afterwards all of the Fab four wanted one, it was used for the opening in "Strawberry fields" and other songs, the Stones featured it in "2000 Light years from home", all told it was used in close to 1,000 albums, Beatles producer George Martin was not a fan of it though, referring to it "as if a Neanderthal piano had impregnated a primitive electronic keyboard", LOL..

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
I own:
Days of Future Passed
In Search of the Lost Chord (and the piano book)
On the Threshold of a Dream
To Our Children's Children's Children
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
Seventh Sojourn
Long Distance Voyager
The Other Side of Life

Anyone top that?

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
I own:
Days of Future Passed
Seventh Sojourn
Long Distance Voyager
The Other Side of Life

Anyone top that?

No, I only have
The Best of The Moody Blues :|

I saw them in the eighties, and it was a great show. I like them but don't listen to them much anymore. Nights in White Satin is the ultimate song (culminating with the poem) about romantic love and what it can do to your head.

Other favorites are:
Tuesday Afternoon
Question
Legend of a Mind
Ride My See Saw

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Yeah they have some awesome stuff, I didn't get into them right away but during the 80's Days of future passed was one of my cassettes I wore out along with a few others of theirs.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I own:
Days of Future Passed
Seventh Sojourn
Long Distance Voyager
The Other Side of Life

Anyone top that?

No, LOL, I think that's about all of them, whats nice is when "Question" was released on CD it dramatically enhanced the sound as a CD has so much more dynamic headroom vs vinyl or tape.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I own:
Days of Future Passed
Seventh Sojourn
Long Distance Voyager
The Other Side of Life

Anyone top that?

I'll try:

Days of Future Passed
In Search of the Lost Chord
A Question Of Balance
Seventh Sojourn
Octave
Long Distance Voyager
The Other Side of Life
Sur La Mer
Keys Of The Kingdom
The Present
Strange Times
December

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
I'll try:

Days of Future Passed
In Search of the Lost Chord
A Question Of Balance
Seventh Sojourn
Octave
Long Distance Voyager
The Other Side of Life
Sur La Mer
Keys Of The Kingdom
The Present
Strange Times
December

I think the only way that will be beat is if someone also has singles.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I'm still missing the solo/duo projects that Hayward and Lodge did during the group's hiatus in the mid/late 70's; some good tracks on those.

I also wouldn't mind Mike Pinder's solo stuff after he left the group (after Octave was released). His work on keyboards in general and on the Mellotron is worth having.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
My brother and sister 10 and 6 years older than me would play the Moody's over and over, at first I was like eh, Liking bands like Zappa the Dead, Allman brothers etc its strange that I eventually became infatuated with their the first 7 albums. And now it has become a lifelong interest. Songs like "Never Thought I'd Live To Be A Million" and "Melancholy Man" were great for the lower times, songs like Gypsy and The Story In Your Eyes at happier times.

Any way I found at least for me that the Moody blues is something you listen to in private. I found it hard to turn someone on to the moody blues, the name can't help, I can't think of a single friend that did. Back in the day I tried playing my MB cassette mixes at parties and everyone was like wtf, yea we like the MBs but.. So it became something of a personal secret for me. I find Solo road trips are the best where I can crank it up. lets go! oh wait sorry cant come. I missed seeing them in concert by a month I was supposed to see them in 74 at the Capitol Center in landover but was canceled do to delays in construction. By then my brother and sister were no longer at home and my friends didn't want to see the Moodys ~

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
My brother and sister 10 and 6 years older than me would play the Moody's over and over, at first I was like eh, Liking bands like Zappa the Dead, Allman brothers etc its strange that I eventually became infatuated with their the first 7 albums. And now it has become a lifelong interest. Songs like "Never Thought I'd Live To Be A Million" and "Melancholy Man" were great for the lower times, songs like Gypsy and The Story In Your Eyes at happier times.

Any way I found at least for me that the Moody blues is something you listen to in private. I found it hard to turn someone on to the moody blues, the name can't help, I can't think of a single friend that did. Back in the day I tried playing my MB cassette mixes at parties and everyone was like wtf, yea we like the MBs but.. So it became something of a personal secret for me. I find Solo road trips are the best where I can crank it up. lets go! oh wait sorry cant come. I missed seeing them in concert by a month I was supposed to see them in 74 at the Capitol Center in landover but was canceled do to delays in construction. By then my brother and sister were no longer at home and my friends didn't want to see the Moodys ~

I always start my MB mix CD's with "Lovely to see you"..

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I saw them in concert 3 times in the 80s. I haven't listened to them in years though... more like decades actually.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
milquetoast pop for those who thought Fleetwood Mac was too "edgy", or preferred ludes over cocaine.

"Knights in White Satin" (their magnum opus) got lots of guys laid, however, so they do get props for that.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
PBS to air a Moody Blues Concert playing album Days of Future Passed with a full orchestra, should be interesting.

http://bestclassicbands.com/moody-blues-days-live-pbs-11-13-17/

"Continuing the 50th anniversary celebration of the band’s groundbreaking album, PBS stations will air The Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed Live beginning Nov. 25. (Check local listings for exact days and times.) Part of the “Great Performances” series, the show “captures the Moody Blues in performance at Toronto’s Sony Centre during their 2017 ‘Days of Future Passed’ tour,” according to a press release. “The concert special showcases the band in performance for the first time with a full orchestra in a spectacle that recreates their pioneering concept album.,” the release adds.

It states further, “The show features narration performed by Jeremy Irons along with atmospheric projections, transporting viewers back to the psychedelic era of their classic 1967 record. Including the iconic hits ‘Nights in White Satin’ and ‘Tuesday Afternoon,’ among others, the film pays homage to the band’s five decades of musical influence and showcases their groundbreaking foray into progressive rock.”

Moody-Bues-Days-live-1200.jpg

Set List
Introduction
I’m Just a Singer (in a Rock and Roll Band)
Your Wildest Dreams
The Story in Your Eyes
“Days of Future Passed”
The Day Begins (with Jeremy Irons)
Dawn: Dawn is a Feeling
The Morning: Another Morning
Lunch Break: Peak Hour
The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday)
(Evening) Time to Get Away
Evening: The Sunset, Twilight Time
Late Lament / Resolvement (with Jeremy Irons)
The Night: Nights in White Satin

Encores:
Question
Ride My See-Saw

Last edited: