Any MMORPGs where everything is tradeable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Jakeisbest
Originally posted by: Feneant2
Is Ultima online still active and supported? I thought they shut down a long time ago? I was thinking just going to Firiona Vie on Eq1... mercernaries make it easier to solo since you can 'rent' yourself a tank or healer but maybe Ultima could be fun?

Oh man I remember playing ultima online! I loved it when some one committed a crime in town, the guards come slay the offender then there was a huge rush to loot the corpse!

Better yet were magic traps on boxes. People just cant help themselves. Boom, dead, body is looted faster than pirahna devours a snake.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Heh, this topic actually motivated me to register, instead of just lurk anonymous like.

I'll throw out one that hasn't been mentioned, and I really like. Atlantica Online.

AO is a free to play mmo. Also, its free to download as well. So, even if you hate it, all you're out is the time you spent downloading/installing it.

Graphically, it reminds me of Guild Wars (although its been awhile since I played GW).

Gameplay wise, its not like many other mmo's. It's turn based, combat wise. You start off with your main character, who you stick with the whole game (but, there are ways to change class). Immediately, you are sent to recruit a couple mercenaries. By level 50, you have a full party of 9. You can recruit different mercenaries all the way through the end of the game, and dismiss them as you please, but mercenaries always start at level 1, and have to be leveled up the same as the main character.

Equiptment in the game is actually fairly standard across the board. You can regear every 10 levels or so. There is only 1 (well, technically 2) types of gear for the level. You can combine 2 peices of alike gear to increase stats.

At the moment, I can't remember what max level is. Either 110 or 120. My max is a couple of mid 60ish toons. So far, through 60, there is no grinding whatsoever. Pretty much all xp has been earned doing the main quest line, plus side quests (some of which net you new mercenaries). I've heard you do have to start grinding eventually, but not till level 100. The quests do tend to be fairly repetitious (sp?), being either "kill x mobs", "get x drops", "go buy x items", or "travel to x area and back". If anything, this is probably my main grief with the game.

Almost everything in game is tradeable. There are a few item mall items that are not, but they are few and far between.

Which brings up the last thing. Like most free mmo's, there is an item shop, called the item mall, where you can spend real money to buy items. These range from costumes, mounts, scrolls, potions, and licenses (which give you extra inventory, extra mercenary storage slots, allows you to see whats in a mob party before you attack it, etc, etc).

None of the things from the money mall are actually needed to level, but some of them make leveling easier (like the potions and scrolls). But, since most everything is tradeable, you can buy it from the auctions house if you have enough in game gold.

As a final thought, the item mall is actually kind of nasty. You can buy scrolls straight out, but most of the stuff like costumes and mounts, they set up like gambling. Buy a certain type of box, and it ramdomly gives you stuff from a set list. You may or may not get what you wanted (although most things from the list are useful). People with addictive personalities stay far far away.