Any Media software that will pick up where you paused?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A few years ago we picked up a Samsung Blu-ray player with All-Share. Installed it on a spare computer, and it does a great job of getting converted movies on the big screen.

One thing I like about Netflix is the ability to pause a show and pick up where I left off later. All-Share does not have this (well, it has an option that says it does, but has never done anything.)

Any software out there that would allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Emby/Media Browser supports this. It's great for pausing in one room and picking up in another room.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Thanks Binky, I am going to give that one a try.

This is playing across the network to a blu-ray player, so VLC isn't going to do what I need.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Kodi will do it perfectly. In fact if you have a MySQL server you can have all your Kodi boxes share the same library, so that way you can stop it in one room and continue in another just like Netflix. I do it every day with six Kodi clients in my house.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Kodi and plex both do it. I use plex because I can't get a good enough signal on one side of my house to stream full quality files to any devices there. Kodi will play them, but it buffers a lot. That's no problem with plex because it just transcodes the files to a size that will stream on my limited network. I'd prefer to be able to use Kodi though.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Thanks all for the input. I will need to stay where I am for the time being (I'll tell you why in a second) but will keep this thread in the back of my mind for the future.

I have one desktop that I am using as my file/media server running Server 2008. Since it has personal information on it, not just media, I have given it local network access only.

Plex won't work this way. My current Blu-ray player does have an app for it, and it installed and set up without issue, but, of course, it has to be on the Internet (not just the local network) for the two to "connect."

My Samsung player does not offer an app for Emby. It will play through the default system on the player, but has the same limitations as AllShare.

So at some point we will get a bigger TV with more HDMI connections (currently using the two it has), and at some point I'll put together a machine to hook up to the TV for this purpose.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
So at some point we will get a bigger TV with more HDMI connections (currently using the two it has), and at some point I'll put together a machine to hook up to the TV for this purpose.

Please let us know when you do, we will have some good advice.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I find Kodi can resume M2TS but does not offer for MP4.

It depends on how you have your library setup. Kodi can do it with every filetype out there (I have tested most of the major ones including mp4) but to do so you need your files in an actual library (as opposed to them just being in a folder and you navigate to that folder and do open with Kodi).

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Ah so, I had not considered that and it does explain my setup since MP4 are unscraped telly docs and such. Movies are usually browsed by file too but are scraped so in a library. I feel silly now because of course there needs to be some database to at least save the time codes.

Last edited:

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I remember the reason for the confusion: information is still saved for such files -either a tick after watched or a play symbol when not watched to the end.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I found the resume behaviour depends upon this setting:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos#File_lists

When default is set to Show Information (preferred for perusing movies) then such library/scraped content does so, and then presents the resume option as appropriate upon entering play. Whereas unscraped content has no information so goes directly to playback. To resume, it is necessary to open the context menu, which is simple enough since mapped to a remote "Info" button.

Default set to Resume is inconvenient for multiple users.