Any laptops still coming with serial ports?

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
I currently have an older laptop that has one...and while I am considering an upgrade I NEED to have a serial port. Unfortunately, I cannot use one of those USB -> serial port adapter as the interface I am using won't recognize it.

I am also limited in price...around $1,000...however, if I'm able to find a new lappy with a serial port I can raise that by a couple hundred (considering that I am able to sell my current laptop).

eri7154798

May 9, 2005
you could probably buy a new laptop without worrying about serial ports, because there are tons of adapters online to buy from.

www.usbgear.com is one i found quick using google.

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: eri7154798
you could probably buy a new laptop without worrying about serial ports, because there are tons of adapters online to buy from.

Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
Unfortunately, I cannot use one of those USB -> serial port adapter as the interface I am using won't recognize it.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
I currently have an older laptop that has one...and while I am considering an upgrade I NEED to have a serial port. Unfortunately, I cannot use one of those USB -> serial port adapter as the interface I am using won't recognize it.

I am also limited in price...around $1,000...however, if I'm able to find a new lappy with a serial port I can raise that by a couple hundred (considering that I am able to sell my current laptop).

Thats going to be tough. I needed a laptop with a serial port for a programming class (programming a microcontroller for a group project) but the best we could do was the USB -> Serial adapter because we couldn't find a new one. I know 1 person bought an older one off ebay for it.

Good luck :)

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I've got an old HP laptop w/serial
K6-2 450MHz, 192MB PC100 SDRAM, ~12GB HDD :p
$200 and its yours!

eri7154798

May 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Praetor
Originally posted by: eri7154798

Unfortunately, I cannot use one of those USB -> serial port adapter as the interface I am using won't recognize it.

oops, i didn't read the whole post :)

Octave

Apr 19, 2005
i know the precisions from dell have them....as thats what we use at work..but i know my laptop doesnt have a serial port...not that id use it anyway. Latitudes might have a serial port though. But Dells are all way up in price when you have to add in that serial port i guess.
Check out some HPs or something and see whats on there.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Yeah, I've looked in a number of places. I think most business laptops carry them BUT...then I'd be paying too much for all the other stuff.

I guess I can just hang onto my old one in addition to the new one that I'm going to buy.

440sixpack

May 30, 2000
Just picked up a certified used IBM T23 Thinkpad for $636, for mostly the same reason (load cell software needs serial port). 1.2GHz PIII-M, 40GB HDD, 256MB RAM, 14.1 XGA, Win2000 Pro. Not a primary computer (that would be the T42 shipping as we speak ;) ), but still a very serviceable machine.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
You might find a reasonably priced docking station or a generic expansion base.

dementedlemur

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
The Inspiron 600m has a serial port on it. I've heard some mixed reviews about the quality, but my gf just got one from the previous $750 off deal through dell and it seems pretty sturdy and she hasn't had any issues with it so far.

ND40oz

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2004
All the new Dell Lattitube Dx10 series have 1 serial port on the back. You should be able to pick up a 610 for less then a grand with coupon codes.

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
My HP ZE4600 series laptop has a serial port. I got it last august for $650. Specs when i bought it were:
athlon XP 2500+
256mb ddr pc2100
40gb 4200rpm HD
dvd/cd-rw combo

It's build quality is pretty decent, i've hit it lightly a few times and everything is pretty sturdy. You can pick it up by the screen and nothing breaks. Hinges are pretty good. Graphics are chipset, so if you're doing anything with 3d, it wont cut it, but otherwise, decent performance. The only two problems i know of are:
1. the rubber inserts on the back that are supposed to keep the laptop an extra centimeter off of the table fall off easily and cannot be reattached easily(the are originally glued)

2. The CMOS chip on the mobo is NOT flashable, even though it is supposed to be. If you try flashing it, it will fail and your mobo will die and you will have a useless paper weight.

also, it is more or less a DTR, so its slightly heavy and isn't the thinnest thing in the world. However, for your purposes it seems like a good fit. Only thing is, i'm not sure if any retailers still sell it. It has been discontinued, to my knowledge. However, the entire HP ze4xxx line seems to have the same chasis, so they should all have serial ports. the newer 4900's have P-M's and are slightly better than my rig.