Any laptop users actually prefer the trackpad to a mouse?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Using an external mouse with my laptop just feels wierd.... I think I prefer the trackpad. Which is odd, because for the longest time I hated trackpads, but I guess isnce I've been using one for the past few months, I got used to it. The mouse jsut doesn't feel like it belongs with the laptop... hanging way over on the side there...

Anyone else prefer the trackpad?

MacGaven

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2002
You get used to it.

I like to use both trackpad and mouse depending on the task.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I don't mind it, but I prefer to use an external mouse. Not having the scroll wheel is a PITA.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
I like trackpoints. I hate trackpads.

seriuosly...they should come out w/ more laptops w/ those instead of trackpads....i have a laptop..and i hate using the pad.....only if it came w/ a point... :( too bad it was a hot deal cuz i couldn't chooose .. hehehe

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

seriuosly...they should come out w/ more laptops w/ those instead of trackpads....i have a laptop..and i hate using the pad.....only if it came w/ a point... :( too bad it was a hot deal cuz i couldn't chooose .. hehehe

Toshiba's only come with point. :) Back when I was a newb, I thought they sucked cuzz I had to hook up my own. :D

I prefer the trackpoint also, but both are good for different tasks. If I have the surface and room, mouse.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I only hook up a mouse to my laptop to play games like Quake 3 or something.....

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Toshiba's only come with point. :) Back when I was a newb, I thought they sucked cuzz I had to hook up my own. :D

I prefer the trackpoint also, but both are good for different tasks. If I have the surface and room, mouse.

Wait, didn't IBM's first come with points? And I've seen Dells and HPs with them as well.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: luvya
Am I the only one to like trackpad more than trackpoint? :confused:
No, I use the trackpad more than the trackpoint (my laptop has both). I still prefer an external mouse to either though.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

Wait, didn't IBM's first come with points? And I've seen Dells and HPs with them as well.

I didn't mean that only Toshiba's have them. I meant that toshiba's only have them. They don't have the pad. At least, with the ones I've seen.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

I didn't mean that only Toshiba's have them. I meant that toshiba's only have them. They don't have the pad. At least, with the ones I've seen.

Ah. Yep. Gotta love Toshiba:p:)

Yomicron

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
For casual use:
Mouse > Trackpoint > Trackpad

but if I'm typing:
Trackpoint >> Mouse > Trackpad

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i wish that dell used the same keyboard on the latitude and inspiron 6 with the dual pointing devices. but no the insp only has the dumb pad. i usually use a mouse but i'm thinking of getting a laser trackball

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Apple PowerBook's original trackball was a great design, but they replaced it in favor of the no-maintenance trackpad.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: iloveme2
I only hook up a mouse to my laptop to play games like Quake 3 or something.....

Same here. The right and bottom edges of my trackpad also function as scroll wheels so that's nice too. I love trackpads.

I absolutely hate trackpoints though, to the point where I just refuse to by a laptop with one.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

Exactly opposite of what I was about to say... trackpoints suck ass. I had one on my old Toshiba laptop and never did like it after 3 years of use. Now I've got a Dell with a touchpad, but I use a laptop optical mouse. :)

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
good trackpoint > mouse > trackball > touchpad

With a trackpoint, I never have to move my hands from the keyboard, which is much more efficient.

I only like IBMs trackpoint, though, at least compared to Dell and Toshiba.

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
a mouse > all, otherwise you'd see more keyboards shipped with trackpads/trackpoints

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Toshiba's only come with point. Back when I was a newb, I thought they sucked cuzz I had to hook up my own.

My Toshiba 3000-S304 has a trackpad.. It sucks too, cause' I'd rather have a trackpoint. Oh well.

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
I like the pad, the move your finder and scroll and the back and forth in browser is nice.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
Using an external mouse with my laptop just feels wierd.... I think I prefer the trackpad. Which is odd, because for the longest time I hated trackpads, but I guess isnce I've been using one for the past few months, I got used to it. The mouse jsut doesn't feel like it belongs with the laptop... hanging way over on the side there...

Anyone else prefer the trackpad?

I am now use to the little red thing enough that I do not use the mouse I carry with my laptop. But I prefer using a mouse.