Question Any idea what's wrong with my 1080ti?

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
I have my 1080ti normally in my main system which is running a custom loop. Long story short, I have my motherboard from that system in for an RMA, and was wanting to use the 1080ti on my backup system while I wait on a new motherboard, so I reinstalled the air cooler (it's a founders edition), but I've been unable to get any display out from the card.

The card is getting power, and the fan is spinning and lights are coming on, but no display. I have tried it on 2 different systems that are both working with other GPUs, so its a problem with the 1080ti for sure. I uninstalled and reinstalled the air cooler, just to make sure I didn't have a screw or something shorting things out. Everything looked fine, and still the same issue.

Any ideas?

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Call the card manufacturer technical support and let them help you. If they cannot make it work, RMA the 1080ti if it still under warranty! Get a new replacement card too!

Reactions: ZGR

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Worst case scenario you might be able to RMA if you can make it look like the OE cooler has been installed the entire time, otherwise they might give you a hard time.

Do any of the video outputs work or just one in particular? If there's absolutely nothing, have a closer look at the PCIe connector and make sure you've got the correct power cables attached.

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
Well I'm 90% sure that whatever is wrong with card was caused by changing out the cooler, so I wouldn't feel great about sending the card back for something that is not supposed to be covered under warranty. Also it has non-stock thermal pads, and paste on it, so I'm sure the warranty wouldn't be honored even if I did send it back.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
That just doesn't make much sense, unless the GPU was damaged because you torqued the cooler down too much but that's a stretch. When you removed the water block, did you perhaps notice any coolant where it shouldn't have been? Are all caps still present on the PCB? And again, are you not getting video from ANY of the outputs?

davidgreams

Feb 5, 2019
A few reasons tied together. First is that its a very powerful and reasonably priced GPU, yesterday there was an article saying Nvidia stopped producing them so the stock is getting low thus making this card difficult to obtain.

They did this because the latest RTX series cards are not delivering on the performance increase that was expected but they cost more.

The performance for dollar ratio is really low when it comes to this new card but since 1080Ti is getting discontinued you don't really have a choice now and with stock running low it is possible it will become just as expansive. :)