Any ice hockey goalies out there?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hey, have some questions about goaltending techniques from a 40 games played newb!!

We have a little morning hockey league at work that started last year. There was a goalie spot so I said "Why not try it" and jumped on the occasion. A co-worker lended me his full equipment last year and I loved the feeling of goaltending!

This year I bought my own equipment so I'm now full autonomous. I even got in another league on monday afternoon!

The only thing...i'm a newb...only kept the gaol for 40 games and I don't have any techniques whatsoever!

What are the basic stuff I should know? Like how to protect my sides when there's people behind the net, how/when to butterfly and how to effectively do it, do you get far from your net when there's a break away or there's action in your zone...stuff like that...

Thanks if you can throw somw tips!

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Not a goalie, but I can share the following hockey advice: Stretch thoroughly before the game!

You can probably learn quite a bit on youtube, either from demos or game footage. One nice thing about the goalies is that whenever the play is in the offensive zone, they're on TV. So you can watch positioning and such even when they're not making a play on the puck.

Same thing for skaters that want to learn some power play technique.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I played deck hockey years ago, but it's probably similar enough. Watch your angles between the shooter and the net behind you to make the smallest space available for them to shoot at.

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
Learn to use the crease to know exactly where you are in relation to the net. Once you learn that, it'll be easy to judge how far out you need to come out of the net to challenge shooters and cut down on the angles.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
What are the basic stuff I should know? Like how to protect my sides when there's people behind the net, how/when to butterfly and how to effectively do it, do you get far from your net when there's a break away or there's action in your zone...stuff like that...

Thanks if you can throw somw tips!

Played goal for 10 years as a kid. A couple quick tips for the specific stuff you asked for (and a few extras):

1) When people are behind the net you should have one leg firmly on a post, generally the side the player is already on, and look over your shoulders. You should practice sliding from post to post. You need proper goalie skates to be able to slide sideways correctly.
2) When to butterfly is probably the thing that defines goalie style the most. If you're really tall, you can go butterfly on nearly every shot. If short, you better only go down if the shot is low. Learning to read where a shot is going to go before it's shot (as in it's still on the stick) is a pretty important skill. It's not foolproof, but at the amateur level it is possible.
3) If you're not at the top of your crease when the action's in your zone, you're going to get scored on by guys who can pick corners. A lot of goalies move out just a little as a guy's winding up to cut down more of the angle. This does leave you open to back-door passes, so you gotta trust that the D will cover guys in front.
4) For breakaways, you come outside of the crease to start. My dad always taught me to not start backing up until you could see the white in the guy's eyes. Always play the man and not the puck.
5) The crease is your house. No one is allowed in your house, ever. A stick to the back of the legs is often a good reminder to opponents.
6) Watch (or have someone else watch) where your stick goes as you go into butterfly. It's far too easy to let in a goal because your stick moves sideways as you go down.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks! I like your point #4 actuarial, it's a good way to know when to back off and I think I play the puck too often and that's why i've been having some problems with more than 50% of breakaways...

I'm gonna play 2 times a week from now, that's a good amount of games to practice seriously!

VoteQuimby

Jan 27, 2005
When you're in your stance, don't tuck your glove (catcher) into your body. Keep it out. You don't want to look like Patrick Roy, the douche. Follow pretty much everything actuarial said.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
If the shooter is coming in on his wing and holds the puck far from his body, he's looking top outside corner.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
From my roommate:

Things to consider that may make you a better goaltender:

1. Focus. Focus is a critical element to being a good goalie. It's often said that goalies who are having a great game see the puck as if it were a beach ball. Goalies who are struggling make it seem like a golf ball. And it's true. 'Seeing' the puck is just as important as how you stop it, because if you don't 'see' it, you can't stop it. Where I play we have a 5 minute warm-up and even though I'm mostly a butterfly goalie, I won't go down once during warmups. Why? Because warm-ups isn't about stopping the puck. It's about getting mentally and physically ready to play. Once I'm stretched out I work on focusing on the puck and slowing it down mentally, that way when the game starts, I'm mentally prepared. Be sure to watch the puck all the way into your equipment.

2. Reading the play. If you have a background in hockey this will help tremendously. You need to be able to understand what players want to do with the puck and where your defensemen are playing. Is someone standing on the backdoor waiting to receive a pass? If you know he's there you can adjust your angle to account for him. On a 2 on 1 is your defender taking the puck carrier or the trailer (he should be taking the trailer and giving you the shooter). If a player is behind the goal line is he planning to go to the net with the puck or look for someone to pass to in the slot / point. A lot of this comes with experience but the better you can 'read' the play the more often you will be in position to make the save.

3. Actually stopping the puck. Yes, this is the 3rd most important element. If you excel at 1 and 2, this will be the easiest part. Two big mistakes I see new goalies make a lot. Holding the goalie stick, you need to have your index finger run down the paddle. This gives you control of your stick and is critical. Second, when you go down, be sure to 'stay tall'. Many goalies will go down and they'll be almost sitting on their heels or let their upper body slouch way down. Keep your upper body as upright as possible when you're in the butterfly. This will give you the necessary mobility with your gloves that you need and you can push from side to side much quicker. A previous response tackled angles pretty well so I'm not going to go into them. You want to be at the top of your crease at all times if the puck isn't any closer than the hashmarks, square to the puck of course. I disagree with playing the player on breakaways. If you aren't square to the puck the shooter will know this and take advantage of your angle and very likely beat you short or far side. Defensemen play the player, goalies must square to the puck... you're not trying to stop the player, you're stopping the puck.

4. Other things... I know it's a matter of comfort and most goalies are different but I prefer sharp skates. Some goalies like them dulled so they can slide around more but sharp skates allow you to do that while giving you the ability to push around the crease when you're down. If you're having problems getting beat glove side at all try moving your glove a few inches forward, more in front of you then to the side of you, this cuts down the angle even more. Kipprusoff in Calgary plays this way with his glove. Rebound control is just something you learn as you play, being able to give with your gloves and leg pads will help dampen the contact and keep the puck closer to you.

Good luck with the season!

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
From my roommate:

Thats a lot of good tips there, thanks a lot jlee!

Another thing I forgot to mention, I have A LOT of difficulty dumping the puck with a goalie stick and the mitt...

How do you hold the stick with this mitt to powerfully dump the puck?

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002

Another thing I forgot to mention, I have A LOT of difficulty dumping the puck with a goalie stick and the mitt...

I usually use the catcher (it's not a mitt) to push the stick without gripping it. Oh, when an attacker w/ a puck is behind the net, keep your skate next to the post with the pad next to the post. And keep the stick blade extended past your skate to block a passing lane.

<- played roller/ice goalie for 10+yrs

Last edited:

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
LOL My Handle/Nic comes from the fact that I played 20 years...(Not the imported part) ... LOTS of good advice here... I will add a few... The face off dots..... Will give you an idea as to where you are... Combine that with what 2112 said above re the crease and you will give the shooter little daylight....
I was an ANGLE goalie.... Not a reaction goalie.... So it was all about vectors and geometry for me....
Position of power as opposed to position of Pussy...... TOO many goalies come out and set with glove and stick arms TIGHT at their sides.... FLARE UP...it is faster/easier to pull your arms in than it is to flare them out to stop a shot... PLUS... In Flaring out... you can over flare and miss.... Pulling "Into" the body....You have a hard stop (Called the torso) and I presume you can make a decision that you need to come in instead of "I need to send my arms out 12 inches to stop this... (Not 100% accurate but you get the point)
LOVE how you called it a mitt..... Jlee's roomate says a LOT for the basics....

I took a tip from Billy Smith (NY Islanders) 100 years ago (I keep telling you guys... I am OLD) find a tennis person who WANTS to practice their serve... You play goalie about 3 to 4 feet in BACK of the receiving service box.... If they have a kick serve or any type of "cut' serve..... It will improve reaction responce.... A lot.....

And whats nice... You can focus on technique and not worry about getting hurt....
I had more fights with team-mates during practice as they DRILLED a 4 ounce piece of frozen rubber at me from 6 feet away......... grrrrrrrrrr....

I ALWAYS played the body and not the puck on breakaways.... ALWAYS.......
Stopped all but 2 penalty shots against me in my entire career...
(Ice and deck)

Play behind the net... Lay your stick out... Parellel to the goal line... Force them to lift it...
Inside skate... FIRMLY agianist the inside post... that is your push off point should they get a quick pass out to the front.... NEVER give them the short side...... NEVER... Short side is 100% your fault...

I was Effed up... I was much better with my stick hand than my glove... I DONT KNOW WHY.... I was catcher and First Base in baseball.... I DONT KNOW and it KILLED me for 20 years...... Which was OK for me cause most shooters try to beat you stick side...

FIGURE OUT WHERE YOU ARE BETTER... Cheat to the other side..... I used to do a drill with a spaldine (Pink rubber ball) where I would throw as HARD and as fast as I could against a brick wall with only my glove hand from about 4 feet away....... trying to improve that... (Didint work LOL)

But figure out where you are better..... That is key for both cheating and improving...
And yes.... Remember... the crease is yours...... OWN it... Love it.... Protect it... For the zebra's wont..... You have to.......

Last edited:

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
One other big note: be very vocal. You are the quarterback of the defense. SCREAM if a guy is open back-door. Make sure your defense is taking the pass-lane on a 2-on-1. Yell out assignments if need be. Most guys appreciate it since you are the only one that can pretty much see the whole ice.

Also, most important part of goaltending: NEVER EVER give up on a play. You can make what looks like the most incredible plays ever but usually it's just from dumb luck trying to make a last ditch effort. Things like heading a puck out of the net soccer style or catching a puck in your blocker hand (OUCH) after your stick got knocked out of your hand.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

He says:

It's really hard to explain how to play the puck with the goalie stick / glove but I'll try. There are generally two methods. I keep my catcher at the top of the paddle / bottom of shaft and my blocker at the top of the shaft. From here it's all about strength as there's not a whole lot of technique involved, in my opinion. It's a lot like shooting / passing like a player. Puck from heel to toe, follow through where you're aiming. Some goalies have transitioned to placing the catcher at the top of the shaft and the blocker down low, I've never handled the puck this way so I can't comment on it but it seems to be growing in popularity. Strength is going to be what allows you to powerfully send the puck down the ice or pass to a teammate, so keep practicing and you'll be banking off the glass in no time.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Wow guys thanks, very helpful!

I just praticed in my living room and I found that holding the top of the stick with the blocker and the top of the paddle with my closed catcher is working nicely.

The problem was that, I really don't know why, I tried to hold the bottom of the shaft with an open catcher.

Now with the closed catcher pushing on the top of the paddle works great!

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
If you really want to get someone out of the crease, slide your stick between their legs and pull up really hard ;)

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ok...I just want to brag a bit about my new equipement...and maybe you could tell what you think about it!

Since I couldn't borrow the co-worker's equipement this year, I started shopping for used stuff...and I got ENORMOUS deals!

Here's the stuff:

- Itech goalie's pants and plastron: 60 CAD
- Koho goalie's skates, Sherwood 9970 series catcher and Vaughn B 5500 blocker: 140 CAD
- Bauer Supreme 34" pads : 90 CAD (really awesome deal!)
- Bauer goalie mask with flap (good term?): 75 CAD (the and the guy gave me his Itech goalie stick with it)
- Hockey bag (on wheels): 10 CAD
- Reebok neck guard and goalie shirt: 60 CAD (bought new)
- I already have a Reebok 27" goalie stick that I bought for 80 CAD new last year.

All this for 515 CAD including the stick that I bought last year...

The stuff is in really good condition and fits perfectly! I already tried it yesterday morning and I like how lighter this is compared to the co-worker's stuff I used last year!

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Also, most important part of goaltending: NEVER EVER give up on a play. You can make what looks like the most incredible plays ever but usually it's just from dumb luck trying to make a last ditch effort. Things like heading a puck out of the net soccer style or catching a puck in your blocker hand (OUCH) after your stick got knocked out of your hand.

hehehehehe... this... Advice about not giving up on play is KEY... I presumed you had that. But the fact it is pointed out..... KEY...

I cant tell you how many "Super" plays I made were just sheer dumb luck. A shot from the Crease faked me OUT OF MY GOALIE SHORTS.

I "split dove" far left. I imagine it had to look like I knew what I was doing as opposed to an OHH EFF play.... Made a backhand play (think falling on my left side sticking glove hand up Right hand... And catching the puck in the most UN-natuaral position.) and held the puck. Got helmet bumps and chest bumps all around...... Little do my teamamtes know LUCKIEST PLAY I EVER MADE.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ok other question...

Is there a prefered stick lenght depending on the height of the goalie?
Whats the best for a 5'-9" goalie? 25", 26", 27"?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hey guys, again thanks a bunch for the great tips you gave me.

This morning I put those advices in practice and it went not great but quite well nontheless.

We won 4-3 but I still have troubles with low shots, sometimes my pads are not perfectly on the ice so low shots pass through.

One thing I got right was though was on a penalty shot! First time in the league the referees called a penalty shot because of a hand pass! So I had in mind the tip about not backing up before seeing the white in the guy's eyes and that's what I did...and made the save with the right pad, was awesome heheh!

You guys been a great help!