Any high quality z170 mobos with legacy PCI?

bgstcola

Aug 30, 2010
Hello, I'm building this rather expensive computer. From my current computer I have a high end PCI sound card (LynxTwo) I would prefer to keep. So I need legacy PCI.

It seems like only the low-middle tier boards has legacy PCI.

The best candidate so far seems to be the Asus z170-A but several reviews has mentioned that it is build cheap (thin, heat sinks secured with push pins etc.):\

I'm not planning to overclock, I just want a reliable board with high quality components.

Any other recommendations or should I go for the z170-A?

Thanks!

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P might be a good choice simply because it has the PCI slots farther away from the main PCIe x16 slot, but it would be considered a (small) step below the Asus Z170-A.

A couple of points, one is that this might be the last gen where you will even find a PCI slot on a mainstream board, in the future you might be looking a server boards to retain this functionality. So long term, the Lynx should be replaced with something like the E44. Secondly, I would not pass up a board because of push pin retainers. If that is really the issue, they could be replaced with metal fasteners. If the idea is that the push pins indicate a problem overall with quality, well, you are probably out of luck, since the Asus board is probably the highest-end out there that still has the old PCI slot.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I didn't know that they still offered pci slots on motherboards as everything that I've been seeing has pcie on it.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
it's pretty simple for them to include PCI slots, also you can even buy an adapter to use PCI on a PCIE slot

bgstcola

Aug 30, 2010
crashtest, what about the msi gaming pro? What's wrong with that? I think you are right that the PCI is too close to the main PCIe slot on the Asus. I've considered the Gigabyte board but it doesn't have Intel LAN. Not sure if that's a problem...?

I have considered to replace the sound card but I rather wait til next upgrade if possible.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Last edited:

bgstcola

Aug 30, 2010
What I did actually on my tower.

My MOBO is all PCIE, I bought a PCI to PCIE adapter for my Auzentech and tie wrapped it in there on one corner, it does make it stick out but I have a deep case.

Has been working perfect here for a long time now.

StarTech.com PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card (PEX1PCI1)

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...240&sr=8-1&keywords=startech+pci+to+PCIE+card

YMMV.

That won't work
http://www.lynxstudio.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5360&title=lynx-two-on-pcie-to-pci-adapter-card

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'd try the adapter with the existing sound card in an existing PCIe slot first, but that might be a great solution that leaves mobo selection wide open.

Instead of zip tie one might screw together a few extra mobo standoffs to create a custom extra long spacer with which to attach the card to the case.

The biggest problem I see is that the elevated height will probably require a case mod to allow clearance for the 25-pin D-sub on the LynxTwo, which sits rather high on the back of the card.

@bgstcola, I don't know anything about MSI, haven't used their stuff for many years.

Last edited:

bgstcola

Aug 30, 2010
From the link I posted:

"The problem with any of the in-box PCI Express to PCI adapters is they cannot provide the -12V that the LynxTWO requires since that is not available with PCI Express."

It seems like an adaptor won't work. But this raises another question. Will any z170 board work? Afaik z170 doesn't have native PCI support so can a z170 PCI slot deliver the 12V for the LynxTwo?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
OK later.

GL.

2z5sirs.gif

Necpro2000

Feb 5, 2016
A very good choice is the Gigabyte G1. Sniper Z170 , but good luck finding this board because it's impossible to find it anywhere . I was looking for it and none of the Greek e-shops seems to have it , neither any other in EU . If you come across a shop that has this board please let me know also because I have a Creative X-Fi Elite Pro that I want to use in my next rig .