Any health knowledgable people in here? Need help with Hepatitis shots...

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
$300 for a Hepatitis A & B test, $25 and $36 for each vaccine shot... Something is wrong here. Why would tests be that significantly higher than the actual vaccination shot?

*EDIT*
So should I just skip the test and take the vaccinations? Any dangers in me skipping the tests? I'm asking because woman I am talkin with right now is Hep A positive and she'd like me to get tested and vaccinated. Any help would be appreciated.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
because the test is generally covered under insurance, while vaccination is not.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Hepatitis Test: $300
Hepatitis Shots: $50
Keeping your wang in your pants: FREE!!!!!!!!!!

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
We can get them free here at my work. :)

amish

I got Hep B vaccination for free at the job i used to have. :)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I don't think anything protects against Hep A ,the vacine series protects against Hep B only.Hep A can be contracted from things like infected shellfish,unsantiary water,and rest,supportive treatment is usually what's prescribed.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
$30-$40 will get you a shot of Havrix which is a vaccine against BOTH Hep A & B. Kill two types with one shot.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Description: Hepatitis A vaccine is used to confer immunity against hepatitis A in persons at risk. Hepatitis A vaccine is not effective in the prevention of other forms of hepatitis, such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, or hepatitis E. There are currently two different products available; both require the administration of a series of two doses, although substantial protection is afforded by the initial (i.e., primary) dose. Both products utilize inactivated whole virus propagated in MRC5 human diploid cells and are administered IM. Havrix® contains no human blood or plasma-derived components. Clinical data reveal Havrix® induced an immune response in 97% of those immunized following a single dose of 720 EL.U. After a second dose there was a 100% seroconversion rate.[766] Havrix® received FDA approval on February 22, 1995. VAQTA® was approved March 29, 1996.

Mechanism of Action: Injection of hepatitis A vaccine produces antibodies that confer protection against hepatitis A infection. Stimulation of specific antibodies takes place without producing any disease symptoms. During the course of natural infection with the hepatitis A virus, the initial antibody response is predominantly of the IgM class. This response lasts for several months, but during convalescence antibodies of the IgG class become dominant. Patients with anti-HAV of the IgG class are immune to reinfection. The IgG antibodies remain detectable indefinitely. Two years after immunization with hepatitis A vaccine IgG levels remained relatively high in the serum of immunized patients.[766] The duration of protection from a course of hepatitis A vaccine is as yet unknown. Long term follow-up studies will determine the necessity for booster doses of HAV.

Pharmacokinetics: Both hepatitis A vaccine products (e.g., Havrix®, VAQTA®) are administered by intramuscular injection. Rapid seroconversion from a single-dose can provide protection against hepatitis A for at least 12 months. Increasing the dose of viral antigen directly affects the speed at which seroconversion occurs. However, a primary response to the vaccine can be expected 8?10 days after administration. To maintain the highest antibody titers a booster dose is recommended between 6 and 12 months after the initial dose. The response to this booster dose is vigorous and increases the protection time against hepatitis A. Some investigators have postulated a minimum level of protective antibody concentration at 10 mIU/ml.[767] However, a concentration of 20 mIU/ml of anti-HAV antibodies was recognized as the definition of seroconversion in clinical trials. Repoductive studies have not been undertaken with hepatitis A vaccine. It is not known whether the vaccine will cause any fetal damage or if it is distributed into breast milk.

[ Revised 7/1/2002 ]

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also - my wife says that the methods done to test for the virus are quite expensive (obviously) while the actually costs for the vaccine are much lower in comparison.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
that's about right as far as the test cost goes. my doctor wanted me to get one when my tattoo got infected, she was afraid it mighta been hep b (which had nothing to do with drugs or my wang, thanks). it was like 250 for the test. since i wasn't insured at the time i passed on it and it ended up just being an infection of some sort, but yeah, the test is bucks.

did she mention all this before you guys hooked up (i'm guessing you have hooked up since she wants you to get tested)?

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
did she mention all this before you guys hooked up (i'm guessing you have hooked up since she wants you to get tested)?

She didn't initially mention it, but after talking for a week or so, she did mention it. I'm ok about. I care for her too much to let this get in the way of us.