Any good Turn Based Strat games

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Like HOMM or Age of Wonders? As I get older, these RTS games seem to be faster and faster. Cause surely I am not slowing down. :p So I was just wondering..... What is out there? Even if its an oldie? I prefer fantasy, like HOMM and such but am open to most. Did ALMOST all the Civ's too..And the most recent Xcoms. Thought I should mention that to save you guys from duping what I have already played.
You can even go to the genre of FF like games... I played 12 and 13 and 13B (Or whatever that last one was.... HATED the fact Lightning was on the cover and she had MAYBE 10 minutes of time. YEAH it sucked but at least Lightning was edgy and cool.... 13B... Damn I want my money back LOL).

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
XCOM and Civ would have been my first thoughts. Conquistador: Expeditions is TBS combat but has fairly heavy kind of Oregon Trail/RPG to the rest of the game as well.

My favorite TBSes tend to be older console/handheld titles. Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Advance Wars come to mind.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
It's not turn-based, but look into Europa Universalis. It's meant to be paused on a frequent basis and is built in concept much more like a turn-based game than an RTS.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
> Like HOMM or Age of Wonders?

King's Bounty the Legend - wait for a Steam sale and get the complete pack with Armored Princess and Crossworlds. It's like the exploring and roaming battles parts of HOMM without the castle building and defense.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
> Like HOMM or Age of Wonders?

King's Bounty the Legend - wait for a Steam sale and get the complete pack with Armored Princess and Crossworlds. It's like the exploring and roaming battles parts of HOMM without the castle building and defense.
This is your best bet IMO, great series.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I loved all the HoMM and AoW games, and am a bit of a strategy junkie, but unfortunately there aren't many games like those.

Many people like Fallen Enchantress, but I hated it personally. The strategy seems to come from what you do before battle; while in battle you pretty much move and attack with limited options and no flanking/passing mechanics.

Have you tried any tactics-like games? Like Fallout Tactics or Jagged Alliance games?

I'm getting my strategy fix these days from Prison Architect, which isn't turn based, but you can pause whenever you like to do things. I like building/creating things also, so PA has given me over a hundred hours of gameplay so far.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
As a fellow lover of turn based strategy I would suggest Paradox's grand strategy series. They are not in the strictest sense turn based but might as well be since you can pause anytime. Their game have different emphasis depending on the era. For example Crusader Kings focuses on religion and managing your dynasty while Victoria focus is on industrialization and political upheaval.

Crusader Kings 2 (800-1400) - medieval settings, manage dynasty, religious warfare
Europa Universalis 4 (1400-1800) - nation building, European conflict, colonization
Victoria 2 (1800-1900) - Colonization, conflict resolution between major powers, political and social movements
Hearts of Iron 3 (1936 - 1950) - full on warfare in WW2

If you are a hardcore strategy fan you might want to look at War in the East which is like Panzer General on steroid. A bit too complex to me at the moment, the manual itself clocks in at 380 pages.

There is also Galactic Civilization 2 from Stardock. Oldie but goodie if you like Master of Orion 4x type of game.

Last edited:

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
These are turn based fantasy:

Fallen Enchantress - deepest of the 3 titles, lots of customization and micromanaging if you want to, nice quests to go on.

Eador Masters of the Broken World - Similarities to HOMM, takes a while to get into, but quite deep eventually, lots of recruitable allies

Warlock Master of the Arcane - Uses the fantasy wars engine. I enjoyed this, but it seems to get old quick.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
I loved all the HoMM and AoW games, and am a bit of a strategy junkie, but unfortunately there aren't many games like those.

Many people like Fallen Enchantress, but I hated it personally. The strategy seems to come from what you do before battle; while in battle you pretty much move and attack with limited options and no flanking/passing mechanics.

Have you tried any tactics-like games? Like Fallout Tactics or Jagged Alliance games?

I'm getting my strategy fix these days from Prison Architect, which isn't turn based, but you can pause whenever you like to do things. I like building/creating things also, so PA has given me over a hundred hours of gameplay so far.

OMG How could I forget to mention JA???? My all time fave..
"I'm in position... Naturally...." How could I forget Fox....

Yes, played them... THATS a great series... I didnt join their kick starter... I donnt know why....

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
OMG How could I forget to mention JA???? My all time fave..
"I'm in position... Naturally...." How could I forget Fox....

Yes, played them... THATS a great series... I didnt join their kick starter... I donnt know why....

Have you played the JA2 Urban Chaos total conversion? New sector maps, new story, new Warsaw Pact guns.

Bear's Pit forums = http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/
Urban Chaos subforum = http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/forums/16/1/JA2_Urban_Chaos.html

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Got to bear's pit. Plenty of JA mods listed there. JAFB is in the works as well but wont be out until end of 2014. I get to beta test that baby. Cant wait.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I also recommend King's Bounty if you like HOMM.

FTL can be kind of turn based since you can pause and give orders whenever you want. Though in some battles, you want to fire your weapons in a certain order.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
As a fellow lover of turn based strategy I would suggest Paradox's grand strategy series. They are not in the strictest sense turn based but might as well be since you can pause anytime. Their game have different emphasis depending on the era. For example Crusader Kings focuses on religion and managing your dynasty while Victoria focus is on industrialization and political upheaval.

Crusader Kings 2 (800-1400) - medieval settings, manage dynasty, religious warfare
Europa Universalis 4 (1400-1800) - nation building, European conflict, colonization
Victoria 2 (1800-1900) - Colonization, conflict resolution between major powers, political and social movements
Hearts of Iron 3 (1936 - 1950) - full on warfare in WW2

If you are a hardcore strategy fan you might want to look at War in the East which is like Panzer General on steroid. A bit too complex to me at the moment, the manual itself clocks in at 380 pages.

There is also Galactic Civilization 2 from Stardock. Oldie but goodie if you like Master of Orion 4x type of game.

I agree with your post completely except for Hearts of Iron 3. I think Darkest Hour, a standalone full-game mod for Hearts of Iron 2, is more accessible to people new to the franchise. Victoria 2 can also be very obtuse for beginners.

Galactic Civilization 2 is a good starting choice for space strategy. FTL is a good turn-based ship management but with plenty of realtime actions needed during a turn. For example a fire can spread easily or invaders can kill your crew if you are not paying attention.

Last edited:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Age of Wonders 3 is in development!

I'm really excited, AoW:II was one of my favorite games of all time.