Any good reccomendations for a DOD:S fan?

Feb 7, 2005
I have been an avid gamer of BF 1942, Counterstrike, and Day of Defeat for many years. I recently, however, built a new system around the prospect of playing BF2. After much consideration and time spent trying to like it, I have concluded that I simply do not like the gameplay of BF2. That left me back playing DOD:S (on realism mod servers), which is an absolutely wonderful game. I can never go wrong with DOD.

The problem is that I feel like I need to expand my gaming horizons. There's a lot out there and I'd might as well test the waters. My preference is for a reality-based FPS with realistic gameplay. I find BF2 to be comic and arcade-ish. Absurd, even. The close-action fighting is a joke. Actually, almost all of the fighting is a joke. (I admit it looks pretty, though.) BF 1942 had a bit of a comic feel to it too, as Vietnam obviously did too, but BF2 is just a bonafide circus.

BF2 only displays up to 99.9 FPS, but with all settings on high my new puter never dips below that mark. Anybody got any reccomendations for another FPS for a guy like me? Another WWII era game would be fine. Help!

Obliged.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
If you want the ultimate in realism , check out http://www.playnet.com/scripts...online/be_features.jsp

I think thats the right game.
It can be annoying to play though.
The maps are huge .
You spawn in captured towns and have to walk or drive to the battlefield, which may take 15 minutes or more.
Then you can be killed the second you get there and have to travel all the way back again.

Like I said its realistic.
No spawning at the front line. Get shot once, you can die.
No health packs, instant regen stuff here.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Check out insurgency mod for HL2. It's sort of like CS:S meets DOD:S. It takes some getting used to and is still in beta but I am having fun playing it...

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Red Orchestra is probably the most realistic WWII shooter out there, plus you can use vehicles.

I haven't played on a DOD:S realism server but I never considered it very realistic to begin with and stopped playing within a week of buying it and haven't looked back.

Feb 7, 2005
Okay, first and foremost I think I'll try Insurgency and P.R. Both operate on game engines that I already own, so I'd might as well give them a go before purchasing another game. I checked out the media for both, and they do look pretty good. At first glance I'd say Insurgency looks like it has some serious potential.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
oh shit, there's a DOD:S?!??! I loved the original DOD

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Modelworks
If you want the ultimate in realism , check out http://www.playnet.com/scripts...online/be_features.jsp

I think thats the right game.
It can be annoying to play though.
The maps are huge .
You spawn in captured towns and have to walk or drive to the battlefield, which may take 15 minutes or more.
Then you can be killed the second you get there and have to travel all the way back again.

Like I said its realistic.
No spawning at the front line. Get shot once, you can die.
No health packs, instant regen stuff here.

is that the mmofps? i haven't heard much good stuff about it. i understand its pretty dead.
i read that you can walk forever and never find an enemy.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
WW2 Online? Oh man... how can that be going still? I played it many years ago. I pretty much had bought it as soon as it was released in 2001 or 2002 probably, cause well read previews about that game way back then and it was like OMG I gotta have this. It was supposed to have a monthly fee but they had so many problems that they extended the free play for quite a few months. I never subscribed cause it still wasn't worth it regardless, but it was quite a bit of fun at times. For its time, they was nothing else like it I believe.

I agree with the first mention of it, Insurgency might be good as an in between of DoD:S and a very realistic game. It is also in its first beta so expect a lot of things to change over the coming months (either towards more realistic or less, don't know), but it is pretty damn good for a first beta... some very quality work done by that mod team. I played CS in beta 1 or beta 2, and I'd say Insurgency beta 1 is close to where CS was when first released, which is pretty good IMO as few mods can really pull it off.

edit: The original WWII Online box is actually in my basement right now, hahah wow.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
I dont know if it has been released or not, but the team that did the Forgotten Hope mod for BF1942 are making FH fro BF2. I would look it up but its blocked by websense here at work. The mod was awesome for BF1942, I have no doubt they will put out a very impressive and fun mod for BF2 also. I realize you said you couldnt get into BF2, but those FH devs have an incredible amount of talent.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
OP, how can you not like BF2, wow. you must be playing by yourself or with very bad team mates. BF2 is the most fun multiplayer game every when you play with people that are good. there is just such an infinite number of things you can do, you can fly a jet, use a chopper, be a bomber or a gunner, pop into a tank, spam with an apc, race around with a jeep, grab anti air vehicles, set up C4, set up mines, and each and every class has their own advantages, so if you play in a squad with smart people you will destroy everyone. yes it has its flaws, like bad registry, but its still the best, most realistic and most complete FPS game to this day.

anyways, im not going to pump it, if you dont like it, you dont like it. but you are a lot like me, you play cs, dod, and all realistic FPS games. thats why I am surprised to hear you dont like BF2. my tip for you is, go and download the Medal of Honor Airborne demo, you will love it. I am definetely picking up a copy of that game on Sept 4, its probably the best WW2 game I have ever played

cheers

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
If you thought BF2 was too cartoony, go get the Project Reality mod. I think they retooled just about every aspect of the game. Although as said, it might be too realistic.

Personally, I can never get enough of DoD:S. Yes, RO is more realistic, but in many cases, it's also just not fun. I just wish Valve would release an update for the game and bring it up to date. I miss the British and the game is getting stale.

Feb 7, 2005
I appreciate the many suggestions. Red Orchestra sounds like it's right up my alley. I'll try to check it out this weekend (can you rent PC games? lol). Last night I played around with Insurgency and thought it was pretty realistic and very cool for a beta FPS. I think I'll hold off on that one for a while until it's more polished though.

I started d/loading the Project Realism mod for BF2 before I left for work so I'll be giving that a try tonight. The reason why I'm not a fan of BF2 is precisely because there's so much obnoxious (though sometimes hilarious) circus-action going on. You've got a hoard of people dog-fighting 20 feet above the ground, people throwing claymores around like hotcakes, and really poor close-quarters fighting. It's just a great big mess, IMO. It is eye candy though, for real! DoD:S can get pretty ridiculous too, but the close-quarters fighting is really good and it seems like it doesn't try to do too much as a game. I'm sure there could be a hundred other weapons/options but it would just be too over-the-top as BF2 is to me. Less can be more, I believe.

Will look into Medal of Honor Airborne too.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Known Unsoldier
I appreciate the many suggestions. Red Orchestra sounds like it's right up my alley. I'll try to check it out this weekend (can you rent PC games? lol).

Red orchestra has free weekends every now and then. If you wait around long enough they will have one (how many days, weeks, months that will be, no one knows). They used to offer 2 week free trial keys to members to give out, not sure about that anymore, as the column for it in steam has vanished, I had several at one point and never gave them to anyone. If that program still exists and someone can tell me how to access the trial keys, I will give you one.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: 40Hands
Check out insurgency mod for HL2. It's sort of like CS:S meets DOD:S. It takes some getting used to and is still in beta but I am having fun playing it...

Is it good? I installed that yesterday but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I appreciate the many suggestions. Red Orchestra sounds like it's right up my alley. I'll try to check it out this weekend (can you rent PC games? lol).

Red orchestra has free weekends every now and then. If you wait around long enough they will have one (how many days, weeks, months that will be, no one knows). They used to offer 2 week free trial keys to members to give out, not sure about that anymore, as the column for it in steam has vanished, I had several at one point and never gave them to anyone. If that program still exists and someone can tell me how to access the trial keys, I will give you one.

Thank you, that'd be great.

Tonight I try BF2 Project Reality.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
You want realism? Battlefield 2 + Project Reality. Its almost TOO realistic.

I honestly don't find it to be: "Go to red circle and call for pilot's kit" never seemed that reflective of reality to me.

However, Insurgency is quite good to the OP

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I have been an avid gamer of BF 1942, Counterstrike, and Day of Defeat for many years. I recently, however, built a new system around the prospect of playing BF2. After much consideration and time spent trying to like it, I have concluded that I simply do not like the gameplay of BF2. That left me back playing DOD:S (on realism mod servers), which is an absolutely wonderful game. I can never go wrong with DOD.

The problem is that I feel like I need to expand my gaming horizons. There's a lot out there and I'd might as well test the waters. My preference is for a reality-based FPS with realistic gameplay. I find BF2 to be comic and arcade-ish. Absurd, even. The close-action fighting is a joke. Actually, almost all of the fighting is a joke. (I admit it looks pretty, though.) BF 1942 had a bit of a comic feel to it too, as Vietnam obviously did too, but BF2 is just a bonafide circus.

BF2 only displays up to 99.9 FPS, but with all settings on high my new puter never dips below that mark. Anybody got any reccomendations for another FPS for a guy like me? Another WWII era game would be fine. Help!

Obliged.

For BF2 framerate do:

~ < for console and then

"gamelock.fps xxx (300, 500 etc)

Michael D

Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

There's actually one going on right now for the newest update.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe
Red Orchestra is probably the most realistic WWII shooter out there, plus you can use vehicles.

I haven't played on a DOD:S realism server but I never considered it very realistic to begin with and stopped playing within a week of buying it and haven't looked back.

I bought Red Orchestra... maybe it was just the fact that gameplay and controls were totally different... but I did not like it. I may give it another chance. I am getting bored of DoD:s (after 10000000 hours of play time).