Any good, non-korean paced, RTS out there?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I've had maybe 1-2 "fun" games in scheldt. There's just no real strategy to the "campy" maps no matter how you put it. One single entry point that can be held with 2 mgs, a mortar and a cloaked pak and no way to crack it until you get a bulldozer/panther is not strategic in any way shape and form. All those games result in 2 calliopes + hummels and a bunch of 25 pounders shelling each other until the map is over because one guy got some lucky hits on an arty position. Any other "strategy" is pretty much useless because of the narrow point of entry. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the first 2 times on the map simply because I never seen so much artillery and mortars before. The big bangs and explosions were fun to watch.

COH is a campy game in general. You take 2 VPs, fortify your position and repel the enemy until you win. You get a few AT guns, MGS, snipers, scouts, tanks, infantry and bunker down while the other team tries to crack you. There's a lot of dynamic action, which is fun for me.

The problem I have with maps like scheldt is it doesn't teach people anything about the dynamics of the game and people don't bother playing other maps because its not as easy as scheldt. I mean, what other map revolves around getting tank traps up on one bridge (2 if you count the out of the way south bridge) and winning because of it? I'm not trying to be an elitist here, but anybody that only plays scheldt is not going to learn jack about flanking and low tier units like the puma.

Also Montaris region isn't that campy, there's plenty of points for flanking and a lot of different strategies you can use for it. I was referring to a smaller map whose name escapes me but its similar to scheldt in the sense that whoever caps the eastern island wins.

Ultimately the better players all leave because they can't find games other than scheldt. I gave up searching for 2v2s and 3v3s months ago because all I can find are 9 game of scheldt and some poor scrub queueing solo for hill 331. But you're right, people can enjoy COH however they want and that's why I've stopped playing and moved on to other games.

Fair enough it wont teach people to 1v1 or play the open maps but its up to them if they want to. I got bored with campy maps and tried the others like montargis, yeah i know its not campy (unless you go brits and take the ammo hill :p) I mentioned it before to illustrate I don't just sit on campy maps. Its a fun change of pace to play the more tactical maps but you need friends on teamspeak to be effective or at least some clanmates. With just random people its just more fun/less hassle to play campy maps, even the worst player can build defences and shoot off the occasional V1. Which is why I think most people play scheldt, ive joined so many 3v3's and 4v4's to see a crew with a crazy win/loss ratio waiting for their next bunch of disorganised victims. Me and friends can take them on, me and randoms... not so much :\

I see your point though, its a sort of cycle, people get bored camping try to play open maps but they suck at them because they're used to camping exclusively and they have no fun because they get stomped and their team has no fun for the same reasons. So they all end up back at scheldt because its the only thing they're good at or they don't want to be stuck with the players who are only good at camping. Rinse and repeat.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
and ultimately its the same problem with other players who don't want to scheldt.

Scheldt -> suck at open maps -> get stomped -> scheldt.
Don't scheldt -> nobody joins your map -> join randoms and get stomped -> uninstall game.

To be honest the best games I've had are the really close ones where we lose/win by < 100 VP. Rails & metal, hill 331, hedgerow siege, etc. It's fun when a premade goes up against a premade but too many times the hosts just want to roflstomp scrubs and kick out other good players. Whats the point then?

If they ever make a coh2 I hope to god the first thing they fix is the matchmaker. fucking NAT error ended many of my nights early.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Those that i have liked most recently:

Company of Heroes
World In Conflict
Sins of a Solar Empire.

Sins is my favorite RTS in many years.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I'd throw in my two cents for Sins as well. It has definite depth. And feels like a true organic merging between RTS and 4X games. And it isn't ruled by an itchy clicker-finger. Your approaches and challenges are mostly considered and strategic rather than zergling charges. In short, given a game between a strategist and someone who can click very fast (including binding armies to hot keys), the strategist will win. Every time.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Fair enough it wont teach people to 1v1 or play the open maps but its up to them if they want to. I got bored with campy maps and tried the others like montargis, yeah i know its not campy (unless you go brits and take the ammo hill :p) I mentioned it before to illustrate I don't just sit on campy maps. Its a fun change of pace to play the more tactical maps but you need friends on teamspeak to be effective or at least some clanmates. With just random people its just more fun/less hassle to play campy maps, even the worst player can build defences and shoot off the occasional V1. Which is why I think most people play scheldt, ive joined so many 3v3's and 4v4's to see a crew with a crazy win/loss ratio waiting for their next bunch of disorganised victims. Me and friends can take them on, me and randoms... not so much :\

I see your point though, its a sort of cycle, people get bored camping try to play open maps but they suck at them because they're used to camping exclusively and they have no fun because they get stomped and their team has no fun for the same reasons. So they all end up back at scheldt because its the only thing they're good at or they don't want to be stuck with the players who are only good at camping. Rinse and repeat.

You guys are forgetting the Hochwald Gap. Plenty of flanking there with competent players. Yes if one team is stupid they can get holed up in their base at the bridges, but this rarely happens until the end IMExperiece.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm looking into World in Conflict, looks awesome!

It is. Just play the single player before going multiplayer. Trust me, the rest of us will know and you will be kicked. ;) And if you play support never, NEVER play two heavy artillery at once. This is a horrible strategy and you will be termed an "arty-noob" and kicked.

On that note, get it with the expansion. Adds several Soviet missions to the otherwise entirely-American single player and should be dirt cheap by now. The plot is Red Dawn on crack and it is awesome. Takes itself more seriously but maintains the mood. :)

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
It is. Just play the single player before going multiplayer. Trust me, the rest of us will know and you will be kicked. ;) And if you play support never, NEVER play two heavy artillery at once. This is a horrible strategy and you will be termed an "arty-noob" and kicked.

On that note, get it with the expansion. Adds several Soviet missions to the otherwise entirely-American single player and should be dirt cheap by now. The plot is Red Dawn on crack and it is awesome. Takes itself more seriously but maintains the mood. :)

Ahhhhhhhh, UBIOSOFFTTT!!!!!!!!! D:D:D:

Just kidding lol, i'll buy it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You guys are forgetting the Hochwald Gap. Plenty of flanking there with competent players. Yes if one team is stupid they can get holed up in their base at the bridges, but this rarely happens until the end IMExperiece.

Ah, hochwald gap. That's the shit map I remember.

Send 2 guys to block eastern island, fortify middle and build a few 88s to roflstomp allies as you shell them from across the map. (don't forget the sandbags to put it into green cover!)

The map wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the resources on the map were worth half as much as the island resources. The island has what, a high fuel and 1/2 high ammos or something like that? The middle is constantly contested so you can go half and half with resources at best.... but you can block the wooden bridge to the island with a ketten.

Not very arty heavy but a very axis favorable map. I hate it less than the other campy-arty maps. It would be fine if they balanced the resources out a bit more.

Has anybody tried Men of war multiplayer? The single player is great but I don't know how well that'd translate over to multiplayer... all the micromanaging and stuff.