Any good economic, village building type games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
OpenTTD for sure (not city building as transportation building ... but it's nice and complex)
Simcity 4 was good.

Anyhow, Can't the Mac laptop run windows? If so, then It would be worth considering Tropico 3, however, laptops generally have crap for 3d performance ... so maybe not even playable in games anyhow ...

It can run windows, but the problem is two fold... I'd have to buy another copy of windows 7 and she doesn't want windows touching her mac.

If she had wanted Windows, my finding a game for her would have been so much easier... lol.

Folks,
Any reason why I should get CIV 4 instead of CIV 5 other than the halving of the cost?

Last edited:

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I don't know how far back her game playing goes, but being a girl, I think she'll like Pharaoh or Rise of the Middle Kingdom, if she hasn't played them already.

Maybe Zeus?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
It can run windows, but the problem is two fold... I'd have to buy another copy of windows 7 and she doesn't want windows touching her mac.

If she had wanted Windows, my finding a game for her would have been so much easier... lol.

Folks,
Any reason why I should get CIV 4 instead of CIV 5 other than the halving of the cost?

Oh boy do a search of CIV IV or 5 here and you'll find out. CIV IV most people here, myself included think its a way better game.

But you were looking for an economic building game right? While CIV has that it's really at its heart a war game of civilization building proportions. I guess if you set the game rules to turn off military and focus on economics it wouldn't be bad at all.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Tell your girlfriend she's a retard. Why doesn't she want windows touching her mac? It'd be one thing if she was too lazy to dual boot. But wtf...

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Oh boy do a search of CIV IV or 5 here and you'll find out. CIV IV most people here, myself included think its a way better game.

But you were looking for an economic building game right? While CIV has that it's really at its heart a war game of civilization building proportions. I guess if you set the game rules to turn off military and focus on economics it wouldn't be bad at all.

For 20$, I'll give CIV 4 a try. The war aspect seems to be slower than Starcraft and Age of Empires (no getting your village owned in 5 minutes), so she might like it. Her main complaint with RTS titles like starcraft, AOE is that it is 90% war, 10% village building, getting to know different technologies, always having to be on your feet. If CIV4 is more balanced in terms of gameplay, she might like it.

Otherwise, the next game coming out I know she is interested in is Diablo 3, but who knows when that is coming out... Blizzard as usual...

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Tropico 3 is pretty fun.

The Settlers 3&4 are also great for supply-chain economic games.

Especially 3, if you can find it (and get it to run properly). It has three huge campaigns and was my personal favorite.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Tell your girlfriend she's a retard. Why doesn't she want windows touching her mac? It'd be one thing if she was too lazy to dual boot. But wtf...

Firstly, she is my fiancee. Secondly, she is not a retard since her IQ is vastly greater than 70, which is the accepted standard for characterizing mental retardation. I don't know where your comment came from, but, I fail to see how her preferences could be met with such a negative conclusory statement without supporting evidence. Be that as it may, I acknowledge your right to use whatever language you like, opinion or fact.

However, your other comment is closer to reality. She doesn't like dual booting, having multiple OS's on her laptop is just too much of a hassle for her. She doesn't own a spare windows license, nor do I. Buying windows 7 for 130-200$ just to play a 20-50$ game doesn't make sense to either her or myself.

Thus, the whole purpose of my original post was to sequester any suggestions for mac osx compatible games of the genre described. If there are none, then that is unfortunate, but life moves on. If there are some, where there appears to be, then excellent.

Venom20

Apr 12, 2011
I recently purchased civ 4 for my wife (because I lost my old copy :S). She says the game is not for her, but strangely is sinking many many hours into it. Some find it utterly boring and the others are addicted.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Tropico, Sim City, and Settlers would sound like what she wants. Whether they are available for Mac, no idea. Check STEAM for that.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Tropico is great. Anno1404 is good too.

Civ4 is the better game so you might as well start with that. If she plays the crap out of that and just wants something different but similiar maybe think of getting Civ5 (even then I wouldn't recommend it).

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Firstly, she is my fiancee. Secondly, she is not a retard since her IQ is vastly greater than 70, which is the accepted standard for characterizing mental retardation. I don't know where your comment came from, but, I fail to see how her preferences could be met with such a negative conclusory statement without supporting evidence. Be that as it may, I acknowledge your right to use whatever language you like, opinion or fact.

However, your other comment is closer to reality. She doesn't like dual booting, having multiple OS's on her laptop is just too much of a hassle for her. She doesn't own a spare windows license, nor do I. Buying windows 7 for 130-200$ just to play a 20-50$ game doesn't make sense to either her or myself.

Thus, the whole purpose of my original post was to sequester any suggestions for mac osx compatible games of the genre described. If there are none, then that is unfortunate, but life moves on. If there are some, where there appears to be, then excellent.

You're the one who gave a stupid nonsensical reason for her not wanting to dual boot, and then you spent three paragraphs going off on his whimsical use of one word like he was really trying to say your GF was clinically retarded...

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Regardless of the reason, the OP provided a problem to be solved. Many on this board have stepped up to provide solutions. It doesn't matter why someone doesn't want to dual boot their mac with windows. The fact remains that she is still looking for a mac osx compatible game, and thankfully, there are one or two that fit the profile; titles which I would have been unaware of if I hadn't posted here.

If you have suggestions of titles and personal opinions of such titles, I will gladly take them so that I can build a queue of titles for her to enjoy.

You're the one who gave a stupid nonsensical reason for her not wanting to dual boot, and then you spent three paragraphs going off on his whimsical use of one word like he was really trying to say your GF was clinically retarded...

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Pharoah, Its Old, but takes up little drivespace and is a quick launch.
its mainly building and acconamy, but there are simple defences you need to put out on some maps.
Played this alot, Lately not since it doesnt like my widescreen monitor

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Well this thread got me to reinstall Anno 1404 (got new hard drive).

There goes the rest of my day.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Stronghold?

Any of the Stronghold series Free Build missions would fit the bill but I dont think any of them got ported over to the Mac. The OP would have to look into it. Steam has the whole collection up for sale for $20.