Any good economic, village building type games?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
My fiancee has a modern 13" apple mac book pro looking for a game. I am unfamiliar with the genre she enjoys, so I was wondering if there were any suggestions of recent titles!

She enjoys construction of towns, with a sense of economy - gold, minerals, resources. Something like rts games like starcraft, but without the constant army building. Occasional army/ problem solving/ might be ok.

I know this is pc gaming, but I assume most of the good titles are cross platform anyways...

Thanks!

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I was going to suggest Anno 1404, but I don't know you can get it for a mac.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Civ4 on easier levels is great economic management fun, and cross platform on Steam at least.

Visaoni

May 15, 2008
Settlers 7 maybe? I think there may be a Mac version, but I'm not entirely sure. I have no clue what the DRM is like on the Mac version, but make sure it is acceptable for you and your girlfriend before buying.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
OTTD can be good, less emphasis on towns and more on resources etc

Plus it's free

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
This reminds me..I used to really love Ceasar 3....

I was going to say Caesar 3 too. Great game, from Impression's glory days. Caesar IV kind sucked, but 3 was awesome. Should run well on a modern Macbook, even with the overhead from a VM, if thats whats needed. No clue if there was a Mac version.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I was going to suggest Anno 1404, but I don't know you can get it for a mac.

I don't know about a mac client for that game either, but it is by far the best game of that genre, and it's not even close.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Anno1404 does get deeper (and demands longer game time) than Tropico 3. It depends on which way your fiancee leans towards and if a Mac version of either exists at all.

Might I also throw in suggestions for old games like Stronghold Crusader and even Stronghold 2?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions!

I briefly looked into Tropico (4) it appears it wasn't ported to Mac osx?
Anno 1404 doesn't appear to have Mac OSX port either. :/

I'll look into Civ 4

Currently, she plays Apps on her iphone like "Crime City"

Last edited:

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
The original and Tropico and Tropico 2 were ported to the Mac, but I doubt they'd run on current Intel-based Macs. I think you're going to be pretty limitted to what you can find available for the Mac. Crime City is also a Facebook game, and I there probably are other browser based games that might fit the bill.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
OpenTTD for sure (not city building as transportation building ... but it's nice and complex)
Simcity 4 was good.

Anyhow, Can't the Mac laptop run windows? If so, then It would be worth considering Tropico 3, however, laptops generally have crap for 3d performance ... so maybe not even playable in games anyhow ...