Any good bookshelf speakers that can connect directly to my TV for <$100?

tracerit

Nov 20, 2007
I've been using Plex and Chromecast to watch some movies and I'd like to upgrade the stock TV speakers to something better. My TV has the component outputs (white/red connectors) , optical audio output, and HDMI. I'm not looking to spend much and was thinking about somethign like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2117405&amp;cm_sp=

But those need a receiver right?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Yes those speakers need amps. If you are still interested in a receiver/speaker setup, check your local garage sales. You can probably pick up a combo for <$40.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
OP, you aren't even in the right ballpark. Anything that is just a speaker you buy needs a receiver. Bookshelves aren't really an option.

For your budget the only options that makes sense (if bought new) are soundbars. Even then getting a sub-$100 soundbar that isn't crap is hard.

If you check this thread fast enough, here is a sub $100 soundbar:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-son...tion=02b80a41-f4c1-4c41-bcdf-d8b8bd9aec92&utm

Otherwise pay a little more than $100 for those (or some other soundbar) elsewhere.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
You can easily find old receiver/amp for less than $50 on CL or garage sale. btw, those speakers by themselves wont produce enough bass, you will be better off with the sounder listed above

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
OP, you aren't even in the right ballpark. Anything that is just a speaker you buy needs a receiver. Bookshelves aren't really an option.
Not really true. You can get active monitors or a simple T-amp for passive bookshelves... either will beat the snot out of TV speakers.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Not really true. You can get active monitors or a simple T-amp for passive bookshelves... either will beat the snot out of TV speakers.

Is there a decent set of active monitors for less than $100? Any sub-$100 T-Amp will be of the quality that you would probably be better off just using a set of computer speakers.

Even at a $200 budget I just think bookshelves are a bad move. For music? Great. For movies and TV? I personally don't think so. The two biggest reasons to go beyond a TV speaker at the low end are 1. a real sub 2. a center channel for clear dialogue.

That is one thing I don't like about the sound bar above- it lacks a discrete center channel. That means despite spending $100 you are still turning the volume up for dialogue and down for explosions.

My honest and best advice to OP would be to do everything possible to double that budget to get here:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-H...s=3.1+soundbar

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Or computer speakers with requisite Radio Shack adapters (mono to stereo from the out in back of TV.)

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Since the TV has optical out, any good computer speakers will do. 2.1 systems can be had for less than $150. Will be ugly though.

Either that or a sound bar. Will look better but I think you'll get less bang for your buck than using computer speakers.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Any sub-$100 T-Amp will be of the quality that you would probably be better off just using a set of computer speakers.
Totally disagree. The main problem with computer speakers isn't the amplification, it's the attempt to stay within a size limit. (Well, there's also the mid-bass bloat...) Just moving to big efficient bookshelves will do a world of good even if it doesn't address the low-range issue. The sub should be a separate purchase anyway, which going with T-Amp/bookshelves allows and a computer set really doesn't.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've been using Plex and Chromecast to watch some movies and I'd like to upgrade the stock TV speakers to something better. My TV has the component outputs (white/red connectors) , optical audio output, and HDMI. I'm not looking to spend much and was thinking about somethign like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2117405&amp;cm_sp=

But those need a receiver right?

Yes I have the center channel version of those on my set up.

You do need an amp or receiver for them, not sure how just two of those would work out though I do like the speakers, and they are lower ohms.

I'd imagine for what you are thinking of doing might be some other things but I usually do not get much attention for making some recommendations.

If you're going to get those and expand it later you should get some kind of receiver rated for it maybe, I'm running two and like the center but it's not even rated for what I have them at.

Just the center and left and right shown without the without the subs and satellites.

The ones you listed are a bit odd for a starter setup though.

ccmEPXo.jpg

Last edited:

tracerit

Nov 20, 2007
After reading the comments, I think i'm just going to use my current Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers and instead of st reaming to my TV via Chromecast, I'll just video out to my TV that way audio will come from the computer still.

Was heavily thinking on that refurb Sony soundbar though but I don't even have that much space to place it. I have limited space so an amp or receiver would be too much.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Totally disagree. The main problem with computer speakers isn't the amplification, it's the attempt to stay within a size limit. (Well, there's also the mid-bass bloat...) Just moving to big efficient bookshelves will do a world of good even if it doesn't address the low-range issue. The sub should be a separate purchase anyway, which going with T-Amp/bookshelves allows and a computer set really doesn't.

Could point. I didn't even think about it but yeah you can maybe start with your L&R speakers and then build from there, never wasting money along the way.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
The problem with computer speaker is the room for it, no doubt about it. I have those puny computer speakers in the study just because the regular home audio speakers will look too big and out of place, even the small ones with 3" drivers and .5/.75 inch twitter look out of place.
However, whenever there is room, I have, for friends and family, hooked up full blown HT system with garage sale/Craiglist bought old receivers and cheap speakers and they all sound better than any computer speakers in the $100 price range. You can get cheap 5.1 speakers system from Monoprice or accessories4less or get a pair of bookshelf speakers with 5" + drivers, they all work great

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I had that amp for awhile but some pioneer bookshelves that were highly raited for there price point instead of the sony's you show. Worked well.

Pioneer is obviously better, but in the past Pioneers' pair were close to $100 and Sony were close to $50. Right now, pioneer's older models have gone down in price and Sony have gone up. At the same price, Pioneers should be better.
HOWEVER, Sony's are better at the boom, the bass is better. That I think comes at the cost of midrange... Monoprice is another good make for cheap bookshelf speakers.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Is there a decent set of active monitors for less than $100? Any sub-$100 T-Amp will be of the quality that you would probably be better off just using a set of computer speakers.

Even at a $200 budget I just think bookshelves are a bad move. For music? Great. For movies and TV? I personally don't think so. The two biggest reasons to go beyond a TV speaker at the low end are 1. a real sub 2. a center channel for clear dialogue.

That is one thing I don't like about the sound bar above- it lacks a discrete center channel. That means despite spending $100 you are still turning the volume up for dialogue and down for explosions.

My honest and best advice to OP would be to do everything possible to double that budget to get here:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-H...s=3.1+soundbar

+1

Something off this list maybe, I've never used any off it but they have a large selection of active monitors and are music oriented.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors/all

Thought I'd throw it out there.

In pairs of single are listed.

It's kinda a do a research em a bit and pick on playground :)

But I've had things I've bought over the years I just add things too more or less myself I guess.

Last edited:

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
I have not heard this exact set, but I believe it's the cosmetic update of some speakers I've had for the last decade: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Inspi...s=creative+2.1

Amazingly good for the price, and vastly better than any TV speakers I've ever heard. I have two sets and gave away another as a gift. Clear sound and can get twice as loud as I ever use. Sub will not shake the foundations, but it adds warmth. Never any problems with any of them. Very, very satisfied.