Any former PC gamers here switch to an XBox One X?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yeah no tinkering on PC any longer. Not for me anyway. I build a PC, OC it if I want then run it. No more work after the initial build. I can't even remember the last time a PC component failed. Its been years and years and years for me.

I have had several consoles go belly up though.
True. I went through 5 Xbox 360s until I got the PS4 and Xbox one S. Up until my most recent PC build my last PC lasted 8 years with no updates or tinkering.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Interesting. I still have all my original Xbox hardware except the 360 power supply that failed. OG Xbox through a launch edition one, and a 1TB one. Anecdotally I’ve also never owned an S model.

I also have a working Commodore 64, and a Pentium Pro gaming box complete with selection of early GeForce cards and a Sound Blaster AWE64.

Sometimes hardware dies, sometimes it doesn’t.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I've always gamed on both PC and Xbox (all generations) but I have been trying to move away from PC for years and years and years because at least with consoles, there is a limit to how much you can spend on a top notch experience. I recently bought an X and am pretty impressed with the horsepower it packs. The only thing that bugs me about consoles is that many games are 30fps. I expect that next gen with a Zen 2 CPU, 60fps won't be such a challenge and will hopefully become more common.

People complain about the mouse/keyboard thing but it doesn't matter to me nor should it bother anyone after they give it a fair chance. The Xbox does support KBM but it is new and only a few games support those input devices.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
People complain about the mouse/keyboard thing but it doesn't matter to me nor should it bother anyone after they give it a fair chance.

Two things... first, input is a personal preference. If it wasn't, we would've shunned those weird trackball users ages ago! :p Also, it's a bit underhanded to suggest that using a controller shouldn't bother someone if "they give it a fair chance" as that suggests that those that do not like it did not give it a fair chance. It's a bit silly to suggest that we can't prefer different input methods for different types of games.

As for trying it, I was pretty annoyed when trying Overwatch on the PS4 only to find that there literally aren't enough buttons on the controller to map Push to Talk after Blizzard added the Interact action. It'd be fine if buttons had fallback, dual functionality, but nope... that's not how they work. It explains why most people that I ran into had always-on mics.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I will keep PC gaming for many things and the cost doesn't phase me too much at this stage in my life (as ridiculous as it has gotten), but the pull of the couch is increasingly strong the older I get. I 100% regret getting a Xbone. Did it to play NHL w/ friends, got sick of the game and they're never around anyway. Every console exclusive game I've ever wanted to play is on PS4. Will absolutely get a PS5 and probably shift most of my single player gaming to it, even if available on PC unless it's a game known to benefit from mods (like Cyberpunk).

Reactions: Oyeve

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I will keep PC gaming for many things and the cost doesn't phase me too much at this stage in my life (as ridiculous as it has gotten), but the pull of the couch is increasingly strong the older I get. I 100% regret getting a Xbone. Did it to play NHL w/ friends, got sick of the game and they're never around anyway. Every console exclusive game I've ever wanted to play is on PS4. Will absolutely get a PS5 and probably shift most of my single player gaming to it, even if available on PC unless it's a game known to benefit from mods (like Cyberpunk).
Yep. That's why I game in bed. Wireless kb and mouse. All my consoles I play from bed and my pc as well. Got an Xbox one s for madden and 4k bit haven't turned it on in months. Primarily because Ms exclusives suck.