Any FM transmitter recommendations?

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
I'm looking for a good FM transmitter for use in my car. I don't want iPod specific ones and it shouldn't be more than $30. Any recommendations?

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
My recommendation is don't buy one. They suck unless you live out in the boonies with no radio stations.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
maybe you can use a cassette adaptor. or get the FM modulators instead of transmitters.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: mrchan
My recommendation is don't buy one. They suck unless you live out in the boonies with no radio stations.

I live in the city and use two different FM transmitters with good results. I listen to my Sirius radio through one every day, and occasionally use a cheap Newertech transmitter that looks like a cell-phone charger - that one works fine as well.

ABErickson

Oct 9, 1999
I'll second the FM modulator (they plug-in into your antenna cable). I tried three or four different transmitters (Belkin, Belkin II, Monster, etc), and never found one I was happy with.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Just buy an HU with a line-in, FM transmitters aren't worth the hassle, iPod specific or not.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
Originally posted by: mrchan

I know their sound quality isn't so great, but there are no good radio stations where I live.

Originally posted by: Maximus96
maybe you can use a cassette adaptor. or get the FM modulators instead of transmitters.

That would've been my first choice...if I had a cassette player in my car.

Originally posted by: ABErickson
I'll second the FM modulator (they plug-in into your antenna cable). I tried three or four different transmitters (Belkin, Belkin II, Monster, etc), and never found one I was happy with.

Then can you give me a recommendation for a good FM modulator?

Also, why do you guys so against FM transmitters? I just want to listen to my mp3 player in the car, I can't stand listening to the radio any more and don't want to burn tons of CDs just to listen to my music, I don't have CD changer.

Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Just buy an HU with a line-in, FM transmitters aren't worth the hassle, iPod specific or not.

I think spending tons of money to find a good head unit and getting it installed is more of a hassle than trying to find a decent, inexpensive FM transmitter.