Any fix for my Sidewinder mouse left-click?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
So recently I've noticed that left-clicks are not always registering on my original MS Sidewinder wired mouse (not the X5).

I took it apart and the switch itself sounds fine, and sounds the same as the right-click switch. I also noticed that after putting it back together, it would start registering the clicks properly again, but then slowly degrade and be back to where it was, not registering every time.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? I've had the mouse for about 4 years. Any idea of a possible fix?

I'd really like to keep this mouse because I have somewhat large hands and it's the only one I've found that I can palm and not have my fingers over the front edge.

CaCtus17

Jan 25, 2022
So recently I've noticed that left-clicks are not always registering on my original MS Sidewinder wired mouse (not the X5).

I took it apart and the switch itself sounds fine, and sounds the same as the right-click switch. I also noticed that after putting it back together, it would start registering the clicks properly again, but then slowly degrade and be back to where it was, not registering every time.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? I've had the mouse for about 4 years. Any idea of a possible fix?

I'd really like to keep this mouse because I have somewhat large hands and it's the only one I've found that I can palm and not have my fingers over the front edge.
HI thilanliyan,
Please I am dealing with the same issue. Have you been able to resolve it?
Thank you for reply.
CaCtus

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Woah, thread necro! :D

Unfortunately I had to throw in the towel and buy a new one. I ended up with a X5 which was the same shape, just not as premium as the Sidewinder.

CaCtus17

Jan 25, 2022
I was also curious, if you will notice this ressurection of thread. :)

I expected some similar answer, unfortunatelly for me, those mouses are no longer available on market and are really hard to find on a second hand market.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
For it to start working again, probably a broken solder joint that can just be reflowed. Otherwise, measure the switch dimensions, can probably find a replacement on digikey/etc electronics supply houses for $1 plus shipping. I do recommend getting a major brand switch, not generic chinese garbage off amazon/ebay/etc.

MS has used some rectangular shaped, and I know Omron makes a compatible size, but they also make a square one, with indentations on the top, a round plunger with a rectangular keying nub on top. Pictured below.

This type is a Panasonic EVQ-P0 series switch, for example see the following two which mostly differ in actuation force (and corresponding mechanical life cycling rating, one is 5X that of the other). I couldn't tell you which the mouse started with, suggest ordering both, then decide... but remember you have to open the mouse and check for yourself first, sometimes these have a grey plunger instead of black but there are other switches MS has used too, which are not mechanically compatible.

1643241869985.jpeg

Last edited: