Question Any first hand opinions on NCASE vs NR200 ?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
My current case only fits mini cards which was great when i built it (ala mini-1070); but newer cards not being built in the mini format so I'm looking for a new case. My current case is the Lian Li PC-Q33 - which is nice and roomy inside but small foot print. The last cooler master case I worked with was the elite 130 which i absolutely hate working with - it is a pia to adjust drives after the fact where as the lian pc-q33 is well designed and very easy to work with both during build and after the fact.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I've actually had a ncase m1 v5 for about 2 years, and recently switched to an NR200. The NR200 is a little bigger for sure, and about 1/3rd the price. BUT, it fits my 3090 STRIX, so I can't complain. It's a pretty decent build quality, and mostly toolless. I like that they have the same snap on style sides like the ncase does.

Reactions: you2

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
So you prefer the NR200 ? How many sata ssd does the M1 and NR200 hold ? Seems like a simple spec but neither case does a good job listing them. What I'll probably do is move my mb (i7-refresh) with attached heatsink directly into the case but of course I'll have to pick up an sfx psu. My current psu is a seasonic that is 10+ years old so it is about time to retire it anyway. Then i'll be set to pick up a new gpu ;)

I've actually had a ncase m1 v5 for about 2 years, and recently switched to an NR200. The NR200 is a little bigger for sure, and about 1/3rd the price. BUT, it fits my 3090 STRIX, so I can't complain. It's a pretty decent build quality, and mostly toolless. I like that they have the same snap on style sides like the ncase does.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I would not say I prefer the nr200. I like the ncase m1 overall. If the ncase could have taken the 3090 strix, I would have gladly kept it. I am only using NVMe drives, so all attached to the mobo. Both list the specs on 2.5 SSD's pretty well on there site:

2x 3.5" HDDs supported via removable brackets attached to the fan bracket (uses up one side 120mm fan location)

• Alternatively, brackets can support 3x 2.5" drives (up to 15.5mm thick)
1x 2.5" drive mount on inside-front of chassis (any thickness); also supports mounting of the HDD brackets in 3x 2.5" drive configuration in place of a single 2.5" drive

Source:

5.25" DRIVE BAYS03.5" DRIVE BAYS1 (Max. 2)2.5" / 3.5" DRIVE BAYS (COMBO)12.5" DRIVE BAYS2 (Max. 3)

Source:

IMO, in a SFF case, get NVMe so you can attach it to the motherboard, one less power cable, and one less data cable to worry about. It is worth the few bucks upgrade over a 2.5" drive.

Just know, if you get an ncase m1, there are length restrictions on the GPU. Depending on which version you get. The latest v 6.1 can take up to 322mm depending on thickness.

Reactions: you2

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
NVME isn't an option since this is an existing system being moved. The MB might have one nvme slot and i suppose i could clone all the data on one of the ssd to the nvme but i just assume leave it alone. My real problem with nvme in general is accessibility. The newer mb are better but many of the earlier itx boards would put the slot on the backside which require the board to be removed if you need to access it.
-
Would your 3090 fit in a v6 mcase? I'm thinking of going with the mcase because i like the current lian case i have and it seems to have enough clearance for my heat sink which is a NH-U9S. My processor is an older i7 which seems plenty fast for games.
--
Hum. Just look at the compatiblity list for gpu - not pretty. Maybe i should rethink the mcase. I'm more likely to go with amd solution than nvidia but either way it seems pretty limited as to what gpu will cleanly fit.

I would not say I prefer the nr200. I like the ncase m1 overall. If the ncase could have taken the 3090 strix, I would have gladly kept it. I am only using NVMe drives, so all attached to the mobo. Both list the specs on 2.5 SSD's pretty well on there site:

Source:

Source:

IMO, in a SFF case, get NVMe so you can attach it to the motherboard, one less power cable, and one less data cable to worry about. It is worth the few bucks upgrade over a 2.5" drive.

Just know, if you get an ncase m1, there are length restrictions on the GPU. Depending on which version you get. The latest v 6.1 can take up to 322mm depending on thickness.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Your back of the mobo is accessible on the ncase m1 and nr200. No, the limitations for the GPU on the ncase m1 are across the board of revisions currently.

NH-U9S fits in the NR200 and m1 fine.