Question Any FIOS expert on using your own router

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I have 1 house using ac68u with cable card so trying to figure out house 2 with replacing fios router but keeping the fios router plug in for the cable boxes. Ideally in house 2, I like to to keep the on demand and all their cable boxes happy, without spending money on moca adapter

Ill be using this method under Steps for users with FiOS TV by taking LAN of my router into WAN of fios router.

What I don't want is double NAT, anyone know if I can just go from my router to FIOS router on LAN port or set the FIOS router under a different mode to keep the cable boxes happy ?

Thanks if anyone tried this before

olddaddio

Jan 31, 2010
The best information on how to do this is over dslreports.com. They have a forum, Fios, dedicated to Fios. In the past they had postings on how to setup your own router plus the Verizon router. Unfortunately, I could not locate these postings.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The best information on how to do this is over dslreports.com. They have a forum, Fios, dedicated to Fios. In the past they had postings on how to setup your own router plus the Verizon router. Unfortunately, I could not locate these postings.
They're in their own FAQ section

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I have two independent FIOS installations, in Both the Main Router is Not the Verizon supplied hardware (in one I use Asus and the other TP-link).

One installation is only Internet and Tel. Land line (Verizon does not provide in this location TV).

The Internet works flawlessly and there is no need for a secondary Verizon Router.

Second location is the typical 1GB FIOS with Tel. Land line and TV).

A second Verizon Router is needed otherwise even the basic TV would not function well.

The table in this Quote is pretty accurate.

My system is lacking the functions as mentioned in the table in Col. 4 - 7.

Lucky for me I do not need any of these functions so I can use my network as I like it with my main Router.

The only thing that "bugs me" a little is the lack of displaying the Land line call ID on the TV. The call id is displayed on the Tel. unit but it is more comfortable if it is displayed on the corner of the TV.

:cool: