Any experts on silicone caulk/sealant?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I'm looking for something that you can use to create a seal between, say, a molex connector and a hard drive or CDROM drive. I need it such that if you pull on the molex it comes out with no damage to the plug or the HDD, but simple jarring will keep the seal intact.

I've been using hot glue, but the seal breaks easily yet looks like it's still intact.

any ideas?

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
The black silicone gasket goo is rated as an adhesive. Just make sure there is no oil
of any type on the area of application. To remove at a later date you might have to gently cut it with a single edge razor. A dry rag can be used to rub off any skin left on the surface......

:sun:

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
is that stuff pliable enough that the seal won't break when jarred or lightly tugged on?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
is that stuff pliable enough that the seal won't break when jarred or lightly tugged on?
Maybe your g/f can judge your caulking ability? j/k

The caulk should not break when lightly tugged on, but if you yank then it will come undone.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
Originally posted by: Joemonkey is that stuff pliable enough that the seal won't break when jarred or lightly tugged on?
Yes, it is almost too pliable. It will stretch.

what about in high temperatures? will it "melt" or become too tacky?

and SP33Demon, my WIFE (not g/f) says i caulk just fine

mindmaniac

Dec 30, 2003
I'd go with 100% silicone, goto home depot and ask for the the stuff they use for glass. It smells strongly of ammonia but works really well. It keeps a rubbery consinstency and holds up well to high temps. I looked around for you and it is rated up to 450° F (232° C). This should make an excellent seal seeing as they use the stuff to hold in windows in office buildings. Hope this helps.