Any equivalent program to Apple's spaces

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
I was just playing with Apple's "places" program and it is awesome. It's like having four more computers!

Is there anything like it for windows?

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
I doubt it, it's a system level idea. I really wish something like it existed :(, Makes me want to go back to OS X.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
There's a handful of software that'll give you multiple desktops on Windows but most of them suck pretty badly. The nVidia drivers come with one and MS even released one although I can't remember what it's called. It's actually kind of sad how poorly it works on Windows because it's one of the most used things on my Linux desktops.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
eh i wouldn't trust it not to crash in windows ...much grief if working with lots of windows.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
eh i wouldn't trust it not to crash in windows ...much grief if working with lots of windows.

It shouldn't affect running applications, just like if you kill explorer and restart it everything else is fine.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nothinman
There's a handful of software that'll give you multiple desktops on Windows but most of them suck pretty badly. The nVidia drivers come with one and MS even released one although I can't remember what it's called. It's actually kind of sad how poorly it works on Windows because it's one of the most used things on my Linux desktops.
do you mean Deskman Virtual Desktop Manager?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
do you mean Deskman Virtual Desktop Manager?

That's it!

It's actually a lot faster than the Mac program. Although not as pretty of course.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Just get 4 moniters, and 2 video cards and youll be good to go.

That defeats the purpose. And I've got 2 monitors and 8 desktops here in Linux so would you recommend I buy 16 monitors to get the same affect in Windows?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Just get 4 moniters, and 2 video cards and youll be good to go.

That defeats the purpose. And I've got 2 monitors and 8 desktops here in Linux so would you recommend I buy 16 monitors to get the same affect in Windows?

Duh, isn't that the obvious choice?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
There used to be a PowerToy for Xp that did something similar to Spaces.

Yea, but it never worked very well. Besides, Spaces didn't really become useful til like 10.5.3 or so.