Any easy way to learn x86 assembler?

dude8604

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2001
I want to learn assembly language for some processor that I can emulate on my PC, or run directly on my computer. I'm in an advanced c++ class at the moment, but I want to know how programming works on a lower level. I found a few tutorials, but I don't know how to compile it. It would be cool to be able to program without a compiler, but I'm not about to learn binary machine code. So 2 questions: What tutorial/book should I use, and how do I compile an assembly language program?

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
define easy. the best way is to find some tutorials online. Ithink the language is "assembly".... the compiler for it is the "assembler"

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Most colleges teach assembly on something like MIPS because it's much simpler to understand, x86 assembly is really ugly.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Like any other language: read what the commands are, write some programs. No magic, just more steps to go through to do anything, and only a few built-in "variables" (registers).

dude8604

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Nothinman
Most colleges teach assembly on something like MIPS because it's much simpler to understand, x86 assembly is really ugly.

Well if MIPS is easier, couldn't I get a MIPS emulator for my computer and then write MIPS assembly?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: dude8604

Well if MIPS is easier, couldn't I get a MIPS emulator for my computer and then write MIPS assembly?
Yes, one for UNIX is called spim. =)

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Read The Art of Assembly Language, get an assembler, then go to work. Careful w/ that last link, it wants to install Gator. That used to be the best resource for win32 asm long ago. I haven't done assembly work in a while.

MASM makes assembly extremely simple, so that may be an option for you as well. There are various ways to acquire MASM if you don't already have it.

If you're looking to do some asm on linux, look at the linux asm how-to.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: manly
Originally posted by: dude8604

Yes, one for UNIX is called spim. =)

It's available for windows, too.