Any downside to buying Z170 Motherboard with Foxconn Socket?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Is there any downside to having Foxconn Socket? I don't even know what they are or what the difference is. I just bought an Asus Z170-A Motherboard on eBay and it has Foxconn Socket. Hope I didn't mess up.

Dumb question but is that what the Gigabyte motherboard I am using now in my signature has?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7DkAAOSwLgNaZnkK/s-l1600.jpg

Looks like a Foxconn socket on your Gigabyte board.
Hey! thank you so much! I guess its nothing to worry about then since its the same thing.

I watched something about Foxconn socket for AMD and it looked complicated.

Something happened with the board I bought and the seller canceled the listing so I bought a different Board instead. This one looks like good ole regular CPU Socket, thankfully.

Thanks for the reply.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I recall seeing complaints of something similar, but that was in regard to Threadripper sockets on some of the early TR motherboards, and should be completely irrelevant to any mainstream boards.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Foxconn supplies the socket to many different motherboard manufacturers, not just Asus.

Nothing to worry about.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I recall seeing complaints of something similar, but that was in regard to Threadripper sockets on some of the early TR motherboards, and should be completely irrelevant to any mainstream boards.
Yeah I saw a video about it on Youtube.

Foxconn supplies the socket to many different motherboard manufacturers, not just Asus.

Nothing to worry about.
Awesome! I was asking because the Youtube video I watched but it was about the Threadripper as mentioned above and I did read about a person complaining about the Socket on one of the reviews so I was curious, just wasn't sure if it would apply for Intel. Good to know it doesn't.

I actually did not buy the motherboard mentioned on my OG Post either so its fine.

Any different between the Lotes Socket and the Foxconn? I never even read about Sockets causing issues, I thought they were all pretty much a main stream Standard all across all platforms.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Any different between the Lotes Socket and the Foxconn? I never even read about Sockets causing issues, I thought they were all pretty much a main stream Standard all across all platforms.

Not in my experience. I've never really seen a socket-related issue outside of bent pins mostly due to user installation error. The design and selection of the rest of the board is what is important (MOFSET, circuits, capacitors etc.)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Not in my experience. I've never really seen a socket-related issue outside of bent pins mostly due to user installation error. The design and selection of the rest of the board is what is important (MOFSET, circuits, capacitors etc.)
Awesome! Well I am learning new things then. Thanks Admin and thanks everyone else.